Black waste Dump at Cobham services M25 (1 Viewer)

Lindacarole

Free Member
Mar 23, 2014
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hobby Siesta Van
Exp
Now a year !
Hi

As a couple of others have picked this up from a post yesterday,

At the M25 Cobham services ( on the Southside ) you can pay at the garage to dump black waste. A large notice at the caravan / motorhome parking area tells you the details.

I don't know of any other Motorway services that offer this , do you ??

regards

Linda

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Great news. Will be handy for many people.

Although there are many in France, Italy etc that offer borne facilities as well as some supermarkets. I think the likes of tescos etc should catch on.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I think Cobham is the only MSA with such a facility. It is mainly aimed at coaches and was, I think, designed in from the start (Cobham is one of the latest MSAs to open).

It is probably unlikely that retrospective provision can be made at other MSAs as the economic case could not be made.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
At the M25 Cobham services ( on the Southside ) you can pay at the garage to dump black waste. A large notice at the caravan / motorhome parking area tells you the details.

Linda

Do you know how much they charge?

I guess if aimed at coaches it might be on the high side for the relatively small amounts even black tanks hold, certainly to dump a cassette could be pricey per litre if it is a flat rate charge, but better empty than desperate to use it I guess at any price (y)

edit, I have found this on their web site, still don't know how much they might charge for a cassette or black tank though, but they might be generous :)

'A Coach Toilet Drop facility was added to the Shell garage, free for coaches with 25 or more passengers'

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2013
DĂ©partement 87
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since about year 2000
Along the same lines - there is a dump point at Eurotunnel, designed for coaches, but available to all. It is on the left at the far end of the coach / motorhome parking area.
J

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Along the same lines - there is a dump point at Eurotunnel, designed for coaches, but available to all. It is on the left at the far end of the coach / motorhome parking area.
J

the last few times we have been, the UK side at least has always been taped off and out of use, it appears to be a free facility though, but not noticed one on the French side? (y)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
well, I may as well be the first to say it ..

ÂŁ5 to dump is a bit rich if you are only emptying a 17lt cassette ...

and the water isn't for drinking

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022

Like anything Jim, if people are willing to pay a price then companies will charge it. I would guess that, as much as anything, it is set at that level to put people off. The facility is really there for coaches because MSAs love coaches - or, more especially, their passengers who spend money in the shops and cafes.

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Have a look at this link Graham.
Not as expensive as I would have thought. Very easy to install over an existing manhole, all it needs is water.
http://www.ctdp.co.uk/
I suppose it would depend on how many use it, although with the ever increasing ownership of MH there must be a need.
This is the very same one used at Loch Lubnaig near callander. Charged me ÂŁ2 last time I used it.
ÂŁ5 is a bit steep but your are talking South East so they will charge more, as they always do.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Have a look at this link Graham.
Not as expensive as I would have thought. Very easy to install over an existing manhole, all it needs is water.
http://www.ctdp.co.uk/
I suppose it would depend on how many use it, although with the ever increasing ownership of MH there must be a need.
This is the very same one used at Loch Lubnaig near callander. Charged me ÂŁ2 last time I used it.
ÂŁ5 is a bit steep but your are talking South East so they will charge more, as they always do.
I agree that the cost of the cassette CDP isn't much, Keith, but that is only one factor. Whilst such a unit would be OK for individuals it wouldn't meet the needs of coaches (or RV owners wanting to empty black tanks).

I knew we had discussed it before and found This Post I made from a couple of years ago. Many existing MSAs simply wouldn't have the space to install a dump point which could be used safely.

Chipster

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Getting there!
Cobham MSA (M25 J9/10) only offers a toilet drop facility, free to customers who bring 20 or more passengers. See our services page for details. Charges may apply.

Got this off the Xtra website so guess if you're coming up from Calais you could get it free!! ;);)

OP
OP
Lindacarole

Lindacarole

Free Member
Mar 23, 2014
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hobby Siesta Van
Exp
Now a year !

Yes I think it is useful to know, the ccc lets you use their some of their sites for a MH service and I think that is ÂŁ7 , but you can use all the facilities including showers for the time you are there. So I understand.

Linda

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
To be honest I don't care about coaches Graham, but clearly the Scots have seen the light with their installation at Loch Lubnaig and it's simplicity of installation. No coaches are able to get in that area so their involvement was not contemplated.
Just shows how things can change as since your other post 2 years ago we now have the situation where they have recognised the need for our type of vehicle to use the facility.
That has to be a positive in support of all the efforts that you and others have put into the subject

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
To be honest, I've never had the need to empty a cassette or fill up with water between night stops.. it's the last thing I do before leaving the site or aire..

If it included overnight parking, then it would be more justifiable.. but costing ÂŁ25 for 3-24 hours, + ÂŁ5 = ÂŁ30 it's more expensive than many sites .. as they say

bannatyne-620x349.jpg

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
I was looking for a stop over last night and found a msa on the m5 Bristol end offers this facility too. I didn't look too close as it wasn't in the area I wanted, but said MH service point available. Cannot remember the name and not in a position to re search.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
With a cassette al you need is a largish shopping bag put it in and visit the loos to empty it down the bog, quick flush and it is done. ÂŁ5 to use a coach dump is OTT as it costs them nothing so is profit 99%, a coach would dump a load and that would be worth it for them.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
To be honest I don't care about coaches Graham, but clearly the Scots have seen the light with their installation at Loch Lubnaig and it's simplicity of installation. No coaches are able to get in that area so their involvement was not contemplated.
Just shows how things can change as since your other post 2 years ago we now have the situation where they have recognised the need for our type of vehicle to use the facility.
That has to be a positive in support of all the efforts that you and others have put into the subject
I would never argue against provision of extra facilities, Keith, but the two areas are different.

The developments by Loch Lomond & The Trossachs NPA came about as a response to control anti-social camping and, happily, they were persuaded that there were benefits to making facilities available rather than simply imposing an outright ban on motorhomes.

My comments in the post I mentioned from 2 years ago and in this thread were directed at MSAs, where coaches are of much higher priority than the likes of us folk :)

We have a chance of more developments along the lines of Loch Lubnaig, if we can provide sound arguments for individual places, but the same arguments are unlikely to apply to MSAs.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
With a cassette al you need is a largish shopping bag put it in and visit the loos to empty it down the bog, quick flush and it is done.
Unfortunately, the approach of too many people is less responsible and they don't mind what state they leave public toilets in. As one water company told me:
Our teams tell me that sadly we have experienced issues with larger vans using toilet blocks on car parks to empty sanitary tanks as well as problems with litter. If we advertised our car parks more clearly, this activity could possibly increase. There would be an associated cost with managing this activity too. Ultimately, whilst we do what we can to encourage recreational use of our site, this isn’t our prime aim and we are not set up for it. Many of our sites have wonderful camp site facilities nearby, so visitors can still come to the beautiful countryside we look after, safe in the knowledge that they’re on suitably appointed facilities and likewise they can rest assure the land and water supplies we manage are kept safe for future generations.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
To do it requires a bit of common sense and care. A cassette is not that big and mostly liquid make sure that the solids are broken down and the toilet is not filled with offensive mess, I find that bio liquid is excellent at making sure you have only liquid waste.
Only put down enough in one go so that it can go easily then flush and tip the rest. ALWAYS make sure the place is clean and tidy and take a good loo brush to use for that purpose. Just be considerate and treat it as your own. I also have a second cassette to fit in case of not being able to find somewhere suitable to empty. There is very few places to actually empty a cassette as nobody considers it when facilities are made. As for paying ÂŁ5or7 to go into a CCC or CC site to just empty a loo is ridiculous and one of the reasons I will NOT pay them to be a member.

ianandkath

Free Member
Jun 4, 2015
spain/uk
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
2 years
ÂŁ5 is not too bad, will use it if full on return from france.
50 gallon of black and the same in grey=better mpg,lol:):)

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
There is very few places to actually empty a cassette as nobody considers it when facilities are made.
Why should they when they are not building facilities for that purpose?

If facilities were to be provided then, in the vast majority of cases, they would have to consist of a separately sited fitting such as the one which Keith highlighted (if nothing else, simply to avoid people carrying full cassettes through populated areas). That obviously has an ongoing maintenance cost as well as a capital cost so a case needs to be made demonstrating why they would be an asset rather a liability to the owner.

I suggest that unless those who want those facilities make that case then there is little or no chance of provision.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Just another question, how do coach drivers and RV owners know where the drop point on the vehicle is in relation to the hole in the ground, the one at Chobham is a metre square and it the driver missed the hole and dumped there might be on hell of a mess there. It would need the service of a Merde spotter to check they in the right place.

ianandkath

Free Member
Jun 4, 2015
spain/uk
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
2 years
Just another question, how do coach drivers and RV owners know where the drop point on the vehicle is in relation to the hole in the ground, the one at Chobham is a metre square and it the driver missed the hole and dumped there might be on hell of a mess there. It would need the service of a Merde spotter to check they in the right place.
rv's have a hose, we can fit it where we need to be ,lol:):)

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Why should they when they are not building facilities for that purpose?

If facilities were to be provided then, in the vast majority of cases, they would have to consist of a separately sited fitting such as the one which Keith highlighted (if nothing else, simply to avoid people carrying full cassettes through populated areas). That obviously has an ongoing maintenance cost as well as a capital cost so a case needs to be made demonstrating why they would be an asset rather a liability to the owner.

I suggest that unless those who want those facilities make that case then there is little or no chance of provision.
I tried to make a case for toilet dumps when they were building both the new Gloucester Services on the M5. At first they seemed interested but later replied that they had costed it out and the on-going cost of empying a tank because it could be contaminated by chemicals made it unviable. They are on septic tanks not mains drainage. They did however make provision for disabled parking of caravans and Motorhomes as a result of my contact. Another fear they had was abuse by "Travellers" from a nearby village.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I tried to make a case for toilet dumps when they were building both the new Gloucester Services on the M5. At first they seemed interested but later replied that they had costed it out and the on-going cost of empying a tank because it could be contaminated by chemicals made it unviable. They are on septic tanks not mains drainage. They did however make provision for disabled parking of caravans and Motorhomes as a result of my contact. Another fear they had was abuse by "Travellers" from a nearby village.
Thanks John. The on-going cost you quote is a good example of the "hidden" costs which people calling for facilities often do not appreciate.

Very well done to achieve the disabled facilities, another proof of the value of constructive dialogue.

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
I was looking for a stop over last night and found a msa on the m5 Bristol end offers this facility too. I didn't look too close as it wasn't in the area I wanted, but said MH service point available. Cannot remember the name and not in a position to re search.
Can you give a bit more info. Please.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Can you give a bit more info. Please.
M5 Services near Bristol is presumably Gordano. I've never heard of a dump point there, Welcome Break don't publicise one and there is no mention on the Motorway Services Online web site. Gordano doesn't even have caravan/motorhome spaces, you have to park with the HGVs.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back