Free Member
Oct 23, 2012
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
since 2012
Hi - I need to buy a set of snow chains for travelling though Italy where its compulsory to carry them in the winter months.

I've had a quick look on line and there seems a big variation in price. Could anyone recommend a good place to buy and also about what I should be paying?

Thanks in advance :Smile:

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Cheap and cheerfull ones are OK so long as you get the correct fit. You can buy them from supermarkets in france.
Some require adjusting by you once on. Some adjust automatically.
We have Thule easy fit SUV because they are easy for Sue to fit if she needs to.

Useful AA page on what's required where
http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/overseas/snow-chains-winter-tyres.html

OP
OP
A

allez

Free Member
Oct 23, 2012
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
since 2012
Thanks for the info. I've just checked out the link so thats great. I guess I need to work out the likelihood of actually using them (and so get a decent set that are easy to fit) ... or whether I'm carrying them to comply with the law (and go cheap and cheerful).

We will be driving down through France, Italy and on to Sicily - leaving next week and heading home late March. I need to do a bit of research on likely road conditions - but have you had any experience of this route at this time of year?

Thanks again :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Heavy duty chains are recommended for vans up to and over 3.5 tons. The cheap car chains are often designed for vehicles around 1.3 tons and may disintegrate at being used at twice or more the weight.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
Campa cola - thanks for the advice - we are 4 tonnes!
I bought these pewags for my Disco 3, at around 3 tons, they have a hard compound steel in them and thicker links. Says light commercial but I would check for 4 tons.
Broken Link Removed

Imbiber

LIFE MEMBER
May 12, 2009
Castleford, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2007
I purchased our last set from here > Broken Link Removed < delivered from Germany in a matter of days.

Excellent service.

Ours are the Weissenfels Rex TR 17mm. Best to go for the biggest chain possible as you'll be surprised the wear they get when used in anger!!

OP
OP
A

allez

Free Member
Oct 23, 2012
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
since 2012
Thanks both for the links - I've just emailed them with my specs to see what my options are. Thanks :)

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
Thanks both for the links - I've just emailed them with my specs to see what my options are. Thanks :)
My tips for using snow chains are, put a how to fit them video on your phone/tablet to refer to and always check them for tightness after driving the first few Meters or so.

OP
OP
A

allez

Free Member
Oct 23, 2012
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
since 2012
Thank you all once again - my chains are arriving tomorrow. And great idea campa cola to put the video on my phone :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back