Free Member
Sep 14, 2015
Northants
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 740
Exp
1 year (getting a bit experienced now)
Just watched Rip Off Britain (Holiday Rip Offs). They covered a story about a family returning from Germany back to the UK after finishing their posting. They had 3 dogs with them one of them being a black Pug. They had left windows open in car (large Estate/MPV type) for ventilation and water for the dogs; during the 90ish minute crossing which the programme did say was on the hottest day of the year the Pug suffered heat stroke and was found dead in their car when they came to disembark. Other passengers & staff assisted them and tried to revive the dog, dousing it with water and even CPR etc. but to no avail, the poor little dog died. I thought this was a very upsetting, especially as it was such a short crossing, don't know what I would do if this happened to our little fella. P&O did say that there was approx 150 dogs on that particular crossing and this was the only incident that had been reported. I know that pugs can be prone to breathing type issues so suspect this might have contributed to the incident but even so how sad for the family.

What steps do you taken when you have to leave your dog in MoHo on a Ferry especially in hot weather, we are due to do our first ferry crossing with Tweed (Portsmouth - Caen) in April. Is it best to leave skylights & windows open for ventilation, was thinking of getting some window vents for cab. :(

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
There shouldn't be any risk in April. But bedding which doesn't enclose the dog will help ventilation, just a blanket folded over not a foam dog bed like one of these:
ovalbed.jpg

Which provides insulation under and around the dog, the last thing you want in hot weather.

An Endless Breeze fan secured so it blows air onto the dog would be perfect, we use one when travelling in hot places.

a4782309-32e9-47ff-8fad-981b9077e7bd.jpg

Deleted User
We only use the tunnel now with ours as our choice, but I know we didn't have a choice when travelling to and from overseas postings as your transport is booked for you, we had to use ferry but fortunately not on really hot days.
It must have been horrible for the family.
Maybe it's time for the ferry companies to relax the rules and on exceptional hot days allow pets to be brought out of vehicles and allowed on deck.

Lin

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Oh dear, very sad. As has been said due to over breeding and Kennel Club rules on them the poor little chaps can't get enough air in their lungs as it is. Ventilation, ventilation, ventilation is the key. There was a thread on here this week that said one of the ferry companies with crappy kennels has had a total revamp and now their very modern, clean and have air con. Pity the poor chap wasn't in one.:cry:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I saw the program, the dogs owners were disappointingly quick to blame P+O, they thought the fee they paid to carry them should cover regular checks on car by P+O, I don't think so, my thought is the 'fee' goes towards the admin they must have providing the passport checks, but I might be wrong

Sad tale, but possibly the dog was poorly, their other 2 dogs in same car did not seem to suffer

But as said, a motorhome is a totally different beast to a car, but we also use the tunnel to remove all doubt

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
Although I have not had my dogs in the MH during Hot Weather, I do have a heater outlet in the Rear Bunk area were the dogs live and travel and the ability to use the fan for re-circ only and blow cooler air around them. Maybe this will work, but I've not tried it yet.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Although I have not had my dogs in the MH during Hot Weather, I do have a heater outlet in the Rear Bunk area were the dogs live and travel and the ability to use the fan for re-circ only and blow cooler air around them. Maybe this will work, but I've not tried it yet.

It might work but it wouldn't do your leisure batteries a lot of good, especially on a longer crossing.

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
It might work but it wouldn't do your leisure batteries a lot of good, especially on a longer crossing.
Would it not be the same as having the heating fan on all the time. I have had the heating on for 3 days with no effect on the batteries. Does coolling work the fan harder?

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Would it not be the same as having the heating fan on all the time. I have had the heating on for 3 days with no effect on the batteries. Does coolling work the fan harder?

It wouldn't have had no effect on the batteries unless you were on EHU. Using it for 30 seconds would have some effect.

Was it 3 days off grid without starting the engine? What set up do you have - what heating system, how much battery capacity, how much solar - remember this won't be doing anything on the car deck of a ferry.

The fan wouldn't be working harder but it would be working longer - it wouldn't be running constantly when using the heating.

With details of your heating system and batteries it's simple enough to work out how long you could run it for without knackering the batteries.

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
Tend to think the dog got trapped under the seat and the problem started there.Very sad but i tend to think that was part of the problem. We have being backwards and forwards on the ferry many times with our two dogs and the cat and never had a problem even in the hottest weather but they always travel in a cage for safety .H

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
A motorhome is nsulated but a car isn't. I wouldn't leave mine in the car as the temperature climbs astronomically in no time. I wouldn't even sit in mine without the windows open or the AC running on a sunny day .

BFM14

Free Member
Jan 24, 2015
Leicester
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2010
I am finding it hard to understand what Rip off Britain (holiday) has got to do with a dog dying on board a ferry when they are not on holiday but a family returning from a posting abroad. Why did the family write to Rip Off Britain unless they thought that somehow P and O had done something wrong? Basically it is their responsibility to look after their animals, is it not?

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
depends how tightly packed their cars were, space available to the dogs and how much they could move. Car decks are out of direct suNight so would depend on air temperature too. I always think the car decks seem quite cool with a definite air flow.

Jun 18, 2008
southampton
Funster No
MH
Hymer B588 PL
Exp
34 Years
Simple solution ban Dogs from all Ferries and the Tunnel.

alfandM

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
sweden
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Simple solution ban Dogs from all Ferries and the Tunnel.
:eek: more care taken, when we were on the sea with our bamse I would go with one of the crew and check on him every 2 or 3 hours No problem you would not leave a child alone,but real sad for the owner's.

Apr 8, 2015
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
15 years
Dogs are for life not just Christmas. We stay with them and travel via the tunnel. More expensive and a few more miles at the other end but so what!!!

Apr 8, 2015
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
15 years
Also available at most Motorhome shows is a device called Transcool (about 12inches square) which is an absorption (in miniature) air con which runs off 12 volt. Can be left on in the car with negligible battery drain . I bought mine at last years Newark show for around £300. Find them on google and you can buy them direct. They also give you a car sticker to reassure passers by. I tie a ribbon to my blow outlet to show it is working.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
I was wondering why I hadn't saw this advertised. Penny's just dropped the thread is a year and a half old :LOL:

Still great as a reminder to all of us dog lovers.;)

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
We travelled on the ferry with the dogs for the first time this year. We left windows open and the roof vents so the hot air could escape.

Our Harvey suffers with too much heat as he has got older so we bought him a cooling mat which he loves. It's the most bizarre thing and I was very skeptical but it works so well I bought another for Tilly, although she loves the heat so hasn't used it yet.

It's instantly cool to touch and brings the dogs temperature down rapidly by absorbing the excess heat for the dog.

https://www.webbsdirect.co.uk/scruf...MIrsGx_cHS1QIVxrvtCh0zjQk0EAQYBSABEgJlQvD_BwE

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
What's not to like? Quicker, more convenient, more flexible.

Distance from the North
Arrogance of Staff (Monopoly with the only tunnel)*
Some people Just do not like tunnels, not one size fits all!.
Migrants Issue

*We were a very short time late out of the allowed 2 hour slot. Very heavy traffic and crashes. Took us 9 hours to get to Tunnel from Manchester. Charged us an additional £75 to go on the 1am Train that was almost empty.

On another trip, when we had that really bad winter. On our return from France, operator at booth wanted to charge us £115 in France for our return booked slot. Because we had not completed the outbound due to bad weather. Simply held up the queue until they backed down.

Shame because we get 10% Tesco Discount and surrounded by stores and service stations.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back