Jul 20, 2008
North Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey AA 625
Exp
7 YEARS
Hi,

Can anyone please recommend a good quality polish / wax taht will not harm the gel coat sealer on motorhomes .

Thanks,

Stay happy and mobile

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
Hi,
Can anyone please recommend a good quality polish / wax taht will not harm the gel coat sealer on motorhomes .
Thanks,
Stay happy and mobile

I used this stuff after recomendation by another RVer, possibly scotJim, cant remember.

Link Removed

Its awesome stuff, not cheap, but well worth it. Same story, rubbish finish on glassfibre end caps (sidewalls OK funnily enough-must be different glass fibre?). Tried all sorts of polishes with no satisfactory result.

Then tried StarBrite.........WOW!
No machines, no heavy duty stuff, just good quality polish, easy to hand apply and hand remove and a VERY good result.

HTH

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
For cleaning both motorhomes and caravans I have always used Fenwicks Motorhome cleaner. All you do is dilute as per bottle put in a garden sprayer and spray the van. Any black streaks or bird lime, or flies brush over with a soft brush, don't worry about it drying.
Next rince off from top down with a dilute solution of Fenwicks Bobby Dazzler then dry with a soft cloth. The only part I polish is the metal cab.
I have done this for years on various vans, and never had any problems.
For a gel coat clean if it gets dull I use Farecla hull cleaner obtainable from yacht chandlers, but this only needs to be done occasionally.

Hope this helps

Dave:thumb::thumb:

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
For cleaning both motorhomes and caravans I have always used Fenwicks Motorhome cleaner.

I used to...........and then stopped. I found that the stuff was just toooooooo good and that as well as removing every spec of muck on my rig, it also took all the wax and polish off!
Perhaps I was just unlucky or it was coincidence? I don't know, but without doubt, I found I was having to do a heck of a lot more polishing to maintain the shine whilst i was using Fenicks.

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Must admit I found this at first till I started using Bobby dazzler to finish off

Dave

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I used this stuff after recomendation by another RVer, possibly scotJim, cant remember.

Link Removed

Its awesome stuff, not cheap, but well worth it. Same story, rubbish finish on glassfibre end caps (sidewalls OK funnily enough-must be different glass fibre?). Tried all sorts of polishes with no satisfactory result.

Then tried StarBrite.........WOW!
No machines, no heavy duty stuff, just good quality polish, easy to hand apply and hand remove and a VERY good result.

HTH
Hi Paul
Ive just taken you up on your recomendation, fingers crossed
Geo

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
Hi Paul
Ive just taken you up on your recomendation, fingers crossed
Geo

OHHHHHH 'ECK!!!:Eeek::Eeek:
Dons tin hat, jumps into biological suit and locks self in nuclear bunker!:Eeek:

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Good luck. Being a bit of a picky s*d, I don't tend to give recomendations lightly but honestly, this stuff is the dogs dangly bits, especially for the type of glass fibre used for RV front and rear caps.:thumb:

1 small tip. When I used it for the first time on my rigs, the gloss on the glass was so far gone that the polish left a bad finish of swirls in the glass.
I put this down to the fact that I could almost hear the glass slurping up the polish it was so "dry"!
I thought, flippin' 'eck, what have I done here!:Eeek:
It was the second coat that really did the trick, and after that, each subsequent coat over the life of the rigs just got better and better.:thumb:

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Have always camped, caravaned or had boats. Now in our second year with the motorhome.
My two peneth....

I have tried just about everything over the years on cars, caravans and boats and in my oppinion "Autoglym resin polish" is by far the best, taking everything into account such as ease of application and overall finish etc.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I have tried just about everything over the years on cars, caravans and boats and in my oppinion "Autoglym resin polish" is by far the best, taking everything into account such as ease of application and overall finish etc.
I agree totaly but you never know, so im trying Pauls sooper dooper polish

I have faith in his jugment
Besides I know where he lives:Eeek:

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Have always camped, caravaned or had boats. Now in our second year with the motorhome.
Let us know the results, I would be very interested in some of this concoction if it proves to be better than AG ::bigsmile:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I am to be honest expecting it to be very much the same, the price looks expensive but it is reflected in the volume ie 32 floz I make that about 2 pints If its that good I may just keep it a secret:ROFLMAO::thumb:
its mail order so no telling when i will get it, want to try it before our French trip in early Aug
plus the Rv has never been polished in the last two years so it may take a double wammy as Paul has suggested, I have tested a bit of AG on the nose cone and it sucked it up :Doh: hence going for the large container:thumb:
Geo
ps you will be the third to know if its useless:winky:::bigsmile:

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp

Lets hope not ::bigsmile:

I have used lots of starbrite products during my boating years and they have allways been good, however I havent seen or used this particular one.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
My preferred wax and shampoo are Meguires Gold Class. The streaks clean off easily after you have used them

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
I am to be honest expecting it to be very much the same, the price looks expensive but it is reflected in the volume ie 32 floz I make that about 2 pints If its that good I may just keep it a secret:ROFLMAO::thumb:
its mail order so no telling when i will get it, want to try it before our French trip in early Aug
plus the Rv has never been polished in the last two years so it may take a double wammy as Paul has suggested, I have tested a bit of AG on the nose cone and it sucked it up :Doh: hence going for the large container:thumb:
Geo

as a matter of interest Geo, how did you get on with the Starbrite?:Cool::ROFLMAO:

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
I use the Fenwicks seems OK

which Fenwicks?

As stated before, you need to be VERY carefull with Fenwicks. It's a very good washer/cleaner but it can be too good if used on a regualr basis. I found that over a period of time, using this stuff not only cleans every single mark off your 'van, it also cleans evry scrap of wax off it!
If you've had a van in storge etc for ages and it's a right mess, NOTHING will beat Fenwicks for bringing it back up to scratch, but once it's clean, get some wax back on it quick!

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
as a matter of interest Geo, how did you get on with the Starbrite?:Cool::ROFLMAO:

Well how did I get on???
Its not stopped raining since I got it
managed to do the front cap and my first impressions are very good
it has a metal polish smell about it, and I'm sure its the same base make up of AutoGlym but with some Brasso in it :thumb:
Application and final polishing is very easy
The metal polish additive removes flys and dirt quickly,
Stubborn marks that I thought were in the gel coat came out with only very little effort, AutoGlym has failed in the past to remove these marks even with a lot of effort
Overall very happy, thanks for the heads up
Kneecapping squad Cancelled:thumb:
would I buy again----Yes but I will reserve it for the RV, this product is not for sharing
you get approximately three times the build up in one application with Starbright than you do with AutoGlym so it is cost effective too
Regards Geo
Comparisons made with both polishes are based on feel and appearance
Bonus is Starbright has a Teflon additive so future black marks should come off easier

Last edited:

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
Geo;175523 Kneecapping squad Cancelled:thumb[/QUOTE said:
Phew!:Eeek::ROFLMAO:
Nice when someone else gets a similar result.:thumb:

oldbloke

Free Member
Jan 21, 2009
bristol
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
5years
I agree totaly but you never know, so im trying Pauls sooper dooper polish

I have faith in his jugment
Besides I know where he lives:Eeek:
::bigsmile:Well i dont like spending too much money, i polish my 1986 talisman autosleeper which we all know i fibreglass,is TESCO,s colour restorer, brill stuff at £1.99 realy works and have had a few comments how good it looked, so give it a try, i did.:thumb:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i use autosmart polish about 15 quid a gallon .calls at garages or see them at shows .works fine on paint plastic n rubber.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back