rosemaryd

Free Member
Sep 3, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2015
Hi everyone. We've had our first motorhome now for a few months and although we've got a bit quicker at getting packed/unpacked, it still takes quite a while. I've read various threads on here where people say they can be off in 20 minutes and we're nowhere near that! So any tips on getting packed, what you leave on your MH, and then what you do in reverse when you get back would be appreciated. Any advice from those that travel with kids in particular would be great as we have two kids, aged 8 and 12.

We have duplicates of most things like toiletries on board, some foodstuffs, small amount of toys but it still seems to take a long time to get packed. I've taken the bedding out at the moment as it was so cold so that's obviously an extra thing to put on but in the milder months, what do you all do to make going away as easy as possible.

Looking forward to lots of tips! Thanks

Rosemaryd

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
Practice practice practice

if the van is ready and you just need clothes and food then all that can delay you is how long you take to pack up.

We use bags for life to ferry the food to the fridge which then stay in the van for dirty laundry. Our suitcases stay packed in the overcab locker so we can easily be away in 20 minutes unless we are taking the dog which adds maybe 10 minutes to ferry him and his bed etc to the van.

Upvote 0
Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
Hi everyone. We've had our first motorhome now for a few months and although we've got a bit quicker at getting packed/unpacked, it still takes quite a while. I've read various threads on here where people say they can be off in 20 minutes and we're nowhere near that! So any tips on getting packed, what you leave on your MH, and then what you do in reverse when you get back would be appreciated. Any advice from those that travel with kids in particular would be great as we have two kids, aged 8 and 12.

We have duplicates of most things like toiletries on board, some foodstuffs, small amount of toys but it still seems to take a long time to get packed. I've taken the bedding out at the moment as it was so cold so that's obviously an extra thing to put on but in the milder months, what do you all do to make going away as easy as possible.

Looking forward to lots of tips! Thanks

Rosemaryd
Don't worry - it usually takes us 2 days! :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
Don't worry mj I buy everything I need including food in plastic bottles or containers,I never bother to pack I just start her up and drive off! When I arrive at destination I get the shovel out the locker and then scoop it all up off the floor onto the sofa and worktop and start again! I can't seem to get the eggs or milk to stay on the shovel though,,still the smell soon goes!, enjoy!

Upvote 0

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Most clothes are already in the van. On the day of leaving xfer house fridge to van. Add a few clothes and dog food. .. that's it. (Beds always made up and during winter heater on low)

Upvote 0
May 30, 2012
Bristol
Funster No
MH
PVC Vantage Neo
Exp
25 years
You'll soon get your own routine going. Takes longer with kids! We used to give ours a bag each which they had to pack the night before. Electric hookup plugged in and fridge filled night before or stop enroute and stock up only what you need. All basics left in van so you don't forget anything and a set of emergency clothes. Bedding stays in in the warmer weather. All you have to add are your clothes and your off. Enjoy! The more you do it the quicker you get.

Upvote 0

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Through the the better months of the year I left the bed made, dried/tinned foods on board, TV, and quite a lot of other stuff, but we used it at least once a month!
Now we use it all the time!

Upvote 0
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
If you don't use the van regularly then you have to pack and unpack... When you know your going away then planning is key, just go with the flow.... Packing is all part of the trip, so enjoy, do what's right and comfortable for your family and when your off on your travels it won't be so stressful...... That's what a motorhome is about. Chill......:roflmto:

Upvote 0

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
We leave the following in the vehicle:
- food items such as tins, jars, pasta, herbs/spices, oil, etc, etc - anything that won't go off
- items for cooking, cleaning, washing, electrical connectors, wifi,
- bedding, towels
- toiletries
- coats and boots, etc

For clothing and items used both at home and travelling I bought canvas square bag/holdalls. We have one each for clothing and a couple for bits and pieces. When we decide to travel I pack each container then on return do the same in reverse when we come back- taking out the same items. You soon get used to what you need.

Perhaps make a checklist for the first few times?

Have fun!

Upvote 0

awg

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 9, 2013
Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
WIldax Altair RS
Exp
Since 2015
Our Motorhome is kept in storage but we leave everything aboard apart from perishable food and clothes. We also use cheap collapsible bags from the Factory Shop to get things loaded and the bags live folded up in the garage during a trip.

I park in the drive to fill the water tank and while that is filling we load the bags and go. Sometimes we unpack the bags before leaving and sometime we wait until we arrive. Depends just how quickly we need to leave. Usually somewhere between 15 and 30mins. I can add another 10/15mins if I've not left the scooter in the garage from the last trip.

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
You will get your own routine and ours is very similar to many here. Non perishable food stays in the van, along with the bedding (which stays on the bed, with the drop down bed part- lowered to give it some air and prevent it picking up damp). We do leave some clothing in the wardrobe and cupboards but have a list so we know what to add, depending upon the trip and the weather. The van is usually in storage but I always bring it home the night before a trip to load up. We don't travel with much water in the tank, just fill up on site.

We don't take dog food though; Sue has got us on a diet, but for me that is One Step Beyond

Upvote 0

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Dont worry.. always takes longer with the kids..
Take our grandkids often and every trip we have to pack different clothes, shoes and toys depending on the weather and the venue..

Upvote 0
Nov 9, 2015
Shenfield, Essex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
35+ years mainly in VW's
Ours is similar to others i.e. Non perishables etc left in the van. When our children were younger, we restricted them to one hold all each which had their clothes, toys etc. We (the wife and myself) still only pack one hold all each. We then load coats, footwear (except boots which remain in the van), pillows & quilt off our bed, sheets, food and a little water into the tank. Doesn't take long as we have been doing it for a good few years now and don't really think about it any more.

You'll soon find what works for you and your family. Have fun and enjoy

Cheers

Trevor

Upvote 0

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Make a game out of it for the kids, ours used to know what went where as well as we did, everyone had a job to do and loved it, all part of the holiday. (y)

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Everything apart from food and clothes stays in it including duplicate dog beds and toys.

We don't pack clothes into bags or anything, just carry them straight out and put them in the wardrobes and lockers. Then it's minimal food depending on how long we're going for and where we're going, usually just milk, crisps and breakfast bits. Some beer and a couple of bottles of wine and we're ready.

20 - 30 minutes, easy.

Upvote 0

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
We keep everything in ready to go but I use a large blue ikea bag to put in last minute items such as clothes food books and computer tv phones etc then off we go . As we like to use it all through winter it means we can have a quick getaway.

Upvote 0
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
We keep everything in ready to go but I use a large blue ikea bag to put in last minute items such as clothes food books and computer tv phones etc then off we go . As we like to use it all through winter it means we can have a quick getaway.
Snap..

Upvote 0
OP
OP
rosemaryd

rosemaryd

Free Member
Sep 3, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2015
Thanks everyone, some great ideas. And I'm glad we're not the only ones taking ages! And you're right, I do seem to be getting a bit quicker each time!

Upvote 0

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
We have duplicates of certain things - toiletries and washing/washing up stuff. Half the tea towels we own, a few towels are van ones specifically, dressing gowns, slippers, both pairs of walking boots, ditto crocs (don't wear em at home - if we need em then van's on the drive so NP) Pack of playing cards, solitaire etc, crumb sweeper came out of the caravan straight into the van as did the crockery cutlery utensils and 2 of the cushions. Pens pencils sharpener stapler erasers a few paperclips and scrap paper all in there permanently also a sewing kit. Big Rd maps, one France and smaller scale one of 'Europe', All the Aires - all in 'my' door pockets.

It's clothes, toiletries and medical stuff. The latter two are kept in open plastic baskets at home, so just make sure everything is IN its basket, and move it from house to van and vice versa. Oh - and I have a smaller less powerful hairdryer that stays in there permanently too! Also a spare phone charger and 12v adapter/plug. Oh - and the Kindles and new Xword books and the manicure set all have to be transferred. Perishable, cold and frozen food. Not forgetting Tom, and both of us.

We discussed it long and hard, but the partridge always stays in his pear tree at home!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
rosemaryd

rosemaryd

Free Member
Sep 3, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2015
Thanks everyone, it sounds like we mainly need more practice and to get those kids working!! Great idea!!

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Providing I haven't got the van in bits doing some mods (that's most of the time), cycling gear, walking gear, underwear, some shirts & socks live in the van, beds are always made up. Just need to put in additional clothes, tea, coffee & milk & maybe an emergency meal and fill the water tank.

Upvote 0
Jan 23, 2016
Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 660SP
Exp
25 years
IKEA blue bags are good and cheap for long term packing/storage.

I've yet to collect my MH and make a trip but with the caravan I had duplicates for everything in the household/sleeping department.

Pots and pans were duplicated and kept in the caravan.

Clothes consist of two pairs of shorts and five t-shirts.

All kept in those Vacuum Storage Bags in the house;

4142988_R_Z001A

Available from Argos.

I would carry the bags out to the van, stash them and not unpack until the first stopover.

Travel light and top up if required was my method.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back