Short Wave / air band listening? (1 Viewer)

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
My Dad has always been into radios, especially short wave and morse code. I remember an old short wave set he had that we used to listen to with a pair of Bakelite earphones at night. We heard radio hams, foreign stations ( speaking English) especially from Russia, and American Football games.
I got into CB radio when you could ( illegally) buy and use American sets and spoke to people all over the world when conditions were right, but never bothered when it was legalised.
I've had quite a few wide band and shortwave sets and always been interested in listening to air band, both civil and military.
Now, I have a few wide band receivers and air band scanners with a new shortwave receiver on its way this week.
Anybody else out there as sad as me? :)

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Yes, been through both am and fm CB radios, multi channel on am but just the muppet show on fm. Did have a dabble with radio ham but just as a listener rather that buy any. Why didn't you take your ticket? It seems like your well into it. :)

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Used to be.... Got into CB, Then became a HAM.
Even opened a CB radio shop, supplied the others with spares..
Had a truck stop outlet in West Bromwich..

NOW.... Lost all interest. Enjoyed it while it was happening.. We used to do close scan TV as well... That was fun transmitting live pictures across to each other.. A big thing then, now even a 2 year old does it to me on Facetime / Skype :(

OH BETTER ADD IT...... G1FTJ...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Two yr old?
image.jpg

OP
OP
Allanm

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
I had a Ship portable radio licence that I have since surrendered, a Coastal Station Radio licence and a VTS operators licence, never got round to taking my RSGB ticket. I see you can do the foundation licence as a start, I might have a go at that soon.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Took my 2 mtr licence back in 1979, but never got to take the full band and morse test. Still have my ships radio licence, but the boat itself isn't licenced any more. In fact, still got a Realistic Pro 34 hand held scanning receiver here, if anyone wants to make me a reasonable offer for it.

radioshack-pro-34.jpg

OP
OP
Allanm

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
I think I had one of those, it was very capable. I have an Icom IC-R20 and a couple of Uniden Bearcats. (125 and 3500)
I have an Icom comms receiver coming this week, so will have to wait till Mrs A goes out so I can string up a few antennas around the garden.
I still have my Icom hand held marine transceiver too, though never use it now.

CeeJay13

Free Member
Sep 16, 2015
The North of Hampshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Returned 2015 after many years of kids and other expenses!
I have an SDR (Software Defined Radio) dongle that I plug into my PC and dabble with occasionally. Did the RSGB course many years ago, but found cars more interesting.

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
If any of you would like to experience Ham radio , there is a program called HAMSPHERE that you can down load and have a try at Amateur radio ,you do not need a liscense to do this as it is a simulator and is a great way to become familiar with the lexicon if ham radio ,such as QSO? etc.
At present my equipment is sitting in a box ,but one of the hobbies that i will combine with motorhoming is ham radio , its good fun and you do not need to be a rocket scientist to get your foundation liscence ,the exam was designed with 12 year olds in mind.:eek::)

Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
I have a couple of hand held scanning receivers and listen in on 144-146 mtr, if that's quiet I listen to the local airfield.

OP
OP
Allanm

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
I was listening to a group of amateurs yesterday using the Dover repeater.
Having second thoughts about taking my foundation licence. They weren't the most exciting people I have ever heard.....
Think I'll stick with my Simple UK licence.......
I did listen to some interesting short wave frequencies though, some truckers in the USA phoning in to a local station, teach yourself Chinese and Americans commentating on UK football games.
I have a new wide and antenna arriving today which should pull a few more stations in.

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
In my sailing days I would listen to the various frequency s , that led me to amatuer radio .
I have a yaesu transceiver with various antenna , ham radio can be fun

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Took my 2 mtr licence back in 1979, but never got to take the full band and morse test. Still have my ships radio licence, but the boat itself isn't licenced any more. In fact, still got a Realistic Pro 34 hand held scanning receiver here, if anyone wants to make me a reasonable offer for it.

View attachment 89867
I've got one of those as well although mine is better than yours :p as it's a Pro-37.
Haven't used it for ages as I use a Uniden 3500 these days.
In fact as I found this thread I was listening to the Yanks burbling away to Mildenhall.
The Uniden sits on my desk and is connected to a roof mounted antenna which gives me excellent range.
Here's a picture of them both on my desk.

OP
OP
Allanm

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
I bought a 3500 last week, though I am having a bit of a head melt trying to understand the best way to programme it.
I managed to get a new system and one group covering local airports ( I can pick up all the London Airports from Dover with just the radio's telescopic aerial) using FreeSCAN, but I really have no idea what I am doing and how to set it up properly. I have an Icom IC -R20 that I can set up easily enough just putting frequencies into appropriate bands.
Clarky, it looks like you know what you are doing with yours......

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Clarky, it looks like you know what you are doing with yours......
Naw, he just does what all us simpleton old gits do with stuff more modern then the abacus, watch someone else do it on YouTube.........(y)

HARESBY

Free Member
Jul 11, 2012
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie well sort of. Ex continental truck driver.
Now,a little voice tells me that there are no 'watchers' now and that an AM Cb can be used in the UK without worry. This is because they are used on the continent widely.

OP
OP
Allanm

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
I think Since 2014, AM and SSB can now be used legally here and in the EU. I believe the channels are now the same as USA CB channels and there are no restrictions on aerials.
Here's the Ofcom paper

Apr 15, 2015
Whitchurch, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E-Line 50
Exp
Since May 2011
I was listening to a group of amateurs yesterday using the Dover repeater.
Having second thoughts about taking my foundation licence. They weren't the most exciting people I have ever heard.....
Think I'll stick with my Simple UK licence.......
I did listen to some interesting short wave frequencies though, some truckers in the USA phoning in to a local station, teach yourself Chinese and Americans commentating on UK football games.
I have a new wide and antenna arriving today which should pull a few more stations in.

I'm a licensed HAM... G7UXG funnily enough (and M0AXK).
Got well into it in the 90s. Took the 'B' class and then the 'A' class licence which meant doing morse code at 12 words per minute.

HAMs of old (not me) used to make their own equipment and it was really interesting to listen to them on the air. More recently HAMs generally bought their equipment as it became widely available and relatively cheap.

The problem is that as communication became easier (internet etc.) it was no longer much of a challenge to talk to someone on the other side of the world. The RSGB was faced with falling membership I'd guess and as a result various groups lobbied for less stringent licensing conditions until it got to the point that they were almost giving licences away.

That bought a whole different group of people into the hobby and the quality of QSO went downhill. This first became apparent on VHF and UHF repeaters. I was one of many who used to be very active on VHF and UHF but rapidly lost interest and eventually sold all of my equipment.

HF still holds some attraction for me but more and more HAMs around the world are only interested in a quick QSO to 'box tick' to claim awards. That's not for me... I'd rather have a conversation with someone.

Maybe in the future I may combine HAM radio with motorhoming activities, although it's not the quietest hobby to practice (respect for your neighbours and all that).

HAM radio rally anybody?

Mike

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
I'm a licensed HAM... G7UXG funnily enough (and M0AXK).
Got well into it in the 90s. Took the 'B' class and then the 'A' class licence which meant doing morse code at 12 words per minute.

HAMs of old (not me) used to make their own equipment and it was really interesting to listen to them on the air. More recently HAMs generally bought their equipment as it became widely available and relatively cheap.

The problem is that as communication became easier (internet etc.) it was no longer much of a challenge to talk to someone on the other side of the world. The RSGB was faced with falling membership I'd guess and as a result various groups lobbied for less stringent licensing conditions until it got to the point that they were almost giving licences away.

That bought a whole different group of people into the hobby and the quality of QSO went downhill. This first became apparent on VHF and UHF repeaters. I was one of many who used to be very active on VHF and UHF but rapidly lost interest and eventually sold all of my equipment.

HF still holds some attraction for me but more and more HAMs around the world are only interested in a quick QSO to 'box tick' to claim awards. That's not for me... I'd rather have a conversation with someone.

Maybe in the future I may combine HAM radio with motorhoming activities, although it's not the quietest hobby to practice (respect for your neighbours and all that).

HAM radio rally anybody?

Mike

Hi mike
The one thing I do not like is contesting , why do they want to tick boxes for a score sheet
I used to be part of a group that regularly met and had a good old rag chew ,I enjoy talking with people .
Can't get on with Morse though ,or CW uf you prefer

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
HAM radio rally anybody?

Mike

No thanks, !! Most of my time was took up doing ham radio rallys.
Packing stock away on saturday nights, early start on Sunday, work all day, drive back and unpack it all ready to open shop on a Monday,.,, :(

On a plus it got me into satellite Tv and early retirement so I can now motorhome more :)

CB EYEBALL anyone ?? :)

img104.jpg

img102.jpg

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
OP
OP
Allanm

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
I got a lot of my frequencies by just searching for what I was interested in. All the London airports inc Biggin Hill, Clacton and Southend, all the Maritime frequencies and a few more just by scanning and saving when I found one I liked.
I also got a good few from HERE
Not sure I would fancy a Ham rally but years ago ( mid 70's) we had a thriving CB club. We met a couple of times every week in a local pub and a couple of members worked in entertainment, we had comedians, singers and guest speakers at our weekend meetings. Great fun, but sadly faded away a couple of years before CB was legalised.

OP
OP
Allanm

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
Just managed to pick up a handheld CB cheap ( Midland Alan 42 Multi )
All the UK and European FM and Am channels, and no one using any of them!
I wonder if CB will ever make a comeback?
I think I might have heard someone using side and and a couple of people chatting but with lots of interference, but that was all. I might buy a cheap CB dipole and see if that makes a difference.
Nice radio though......

scottie

Free Member
Mar 2, 2013
chandlers ford
Funster No
MH
Astec Devon 2008
Exp
July 2012
I have just recently returned to Amateur radio, been threatening to for years, last operated about 1990, 2 meters. Picked up my B licence in about 89/90, never did the morse, nor go on HF. Its a shame I left it so late, moved house 2 years ago which had a 200 foot garden, 600 feet to the nearest house behind me, ideal for HF. Current garden , longest point about 80 feet. Wanted to combine my motorhoming with the hobby, I also do course fishing so I try to go places where I can also fish. Recently purchase a Yaesu 450 d, mini hf and 6 meter unit, and looking for a quad band covering 10, 6, 2 and 70 cms. However having been out of the hobby for so long, I felt a bit of a fraud being uprated to the A licence, so I ordered all the exam books and currently working my way through them. Fortunately there is lots of stuff on you tube, which makes the transition back to the hobby a bit easier. I do have a local club about 2 mile from me, the itchen valley radio club, unfortunately only 31 members, but I probably should join. Gozo Mike is also a ham operator and has a good mobile setup, met him at the New Forest bash, but knew previously. Anyway 73s for now, G1UDR.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

View attachment 89867
Got 3 or 4 of those in an aluminium flight case in the garage, been there for years.
The chargers are there but the batteries must be knacketed now.
Got them off my late bro in law, Capt Peter Bruce, merchant navy

Nov 13, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2000
I have been licensed for over 30 years and had a radio shop for over 20 years and attended over 30 rallies a year some of them with Tonka. Have full station set up at home and a mobile station that can go into Motorhome. Started of using cw only due to cost now use all modes. G4TJB

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Currently got an Icom 735 HF rig, a JRC525 general coverage receiver, a couple of old Icom 1050 converted cb's on 10 metres, Alinco 560 dual band hand held, Icom 2725 dual band 2/70 mobile, Major 588 all band cb, Realistic Pro 2006 scanner and several other radios that are tucked away and no longer used

All my PSU's are home brew, two out of the three SWR meters are home brew, the HF ATU is home brew ( still using the roller coaster I got from the very first rally I ever went to . Twas Ipswich I believe )
All my antennas are home brew apart from one white stick which I was given to use on the packet BBS and is still on the roof !

BTW, currently thinking of selling the JRC525 receiver .. It has got all the upgraded filters in and works perfectly. ÂŁ300 ono will buy it.. or would swap it for something interesting ?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back