Cross Border Enforcement Directive (driving fines) (1 Viewer)

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Just noticed the UK's opt out has been declared unlawful a while ago by the EU so basically on or after or before? may 2017 the DVLA can give foreign enforcement agencies your details and send you a fine/points for errant behaviour on their roads. I can't help feeling the main reason the Brits who always seem picked on as a reason for introducing this legislation are often just following for example the appalling French drivers, who know where the speed cameras are and suddenly and dangerously break in from of them. What do you think?

Confusingly the UK must have a separate agreement with the likes of Norway because I am pretty sure if you get caught on a speed camera there they will send the demand for 10% of your assets via data from the DVLA database.

Thankfully my latest Ducato cab comes fitted with a speed limiter, which will be worth its weight in licence points!

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
I would much prefer that they kept details from the numerous commercial companies some of them little more that cowboys in the UK. Got no problems with divulging traffic offences either here or there. I assume that it is reciprical and offences by foreign drivers in the UK can also be enforced.

Dick

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Next they will getting foreign driver details for Parking Eye.
The Norwegian system seems to be a bit too draconian to actually be true, bit on par with the death penalty for speeding.

ianandkath

Free Member
Jun 4, 2015
spain/uk
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
2 years
worked in norway for a while.
never got caught speeding, but was told that drink driving was 21 days jail time, before you went to court.
so can believe they would want 10% of your earnings

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Sounds sensible to me if it works both ways why should they not be reciprical
Because how do you know it is true ? Here you don't have to be stopped to be fined so all they need to do is clock your number , bung down speeding/crossing red light/ failing to render assistance /whatever & send it on.

OP
OP
MR. FUSION
Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Norway is 100% true at up to 10% of your income
& bird if they feel like it
http://www.cnrlawyers.com/news/high-speeding-ticket-fines/

Finland is the same (or certainly was when I worked there).
In a way its fair - a £60 fine to a millionaire is nothing, but 10% of their income would hurt them.

It's not a bad idea. You wouldn't need many high profile cases before speeding wasn't a problem any more.

As you say a £60 or £100 fine and a few points is nothing but if it was going to cost you several thousand each time most people would think twice about risking it.

OP
OP
MR. FUSION
Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
It's not a bad idea. You wouldn't need many high profile cases before speeding wasn't a problem any more.

As you say a £60 or £100 fine and a few points is nothing but if it was going to cost you several thousand each time most people would think twice about risking it.
I have to agree, and the behaviour of the locals in Finland and Norway bears that out! Particularly as the Norwegian police seem at liberty to set unmarked speed traps in the most remote places.The only people I saw speeding recklessly were German motorhomers! Mind you the worst offender went though a speed trap so hopefully he was duly punished. The main problem with Norwegian driving I found is their roads are very narrow and their oil money had bought them new big cars which many if them seem unable to drive very well!

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
10% of your income! bloody hell!!! So with my pension of £73.10 a week that's £7.31p that's draconian.

Disgusted of notloB.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
10% of your income! bloody hell!!! So with my pension of £73.10 a week that's £7.31p that's draconian.

Disgusted of notloB.
I thought it was 10% of you total asset worth

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Thankfully my latest Ducato cab comes fitted with a speed limiter, which will be worth its weight in licence points!
I have one of those, well, the early model. She shouts at me if I even think about speeding. :(

Malcolm Bolt

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 10, 2011
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
old A class
Exp
since 2011
Just curious as to which Government department supplies the information about income? Does this mean we can all find out how much each other coins in?

OP
OP
MR. FUSION
Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
Just curious as to which Government department supplies the information about income? Does this mean we can all find out how much each other coins in?
Pretty sure the Norwegian police involve a credit agency early on so they will have access to your credit reports and maybe more?

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
@campa cola
"Appalling French Drivers who know where the speed cameras are and suddenly and dangerously brake before them.

Good job you never see that here in the UK. Sounds positively mad behaviour to me!:whistle:

OP
OP
MR. FUSION
Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
@campa cola
"Appalling French Drivers who know where the speed cameras are and suddenly and dangerously brake before them.

Good job you never see that here in the UK. Sounds positively mad behaviour to me!:whistle:
The subtle difference being that foreigners will have our fixed speed cams on their satnavs and be ready for the slow down but its increasing more difficult to get up to date locations of French speed cams on sat navs. So the new ones the local know about come as a surprise to foreigners. Anyway a lot of the French cams I saw had somehow set themselves alight :Eeek:

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Exactly but tell that to the French!!!!

Who cares about the French.

I meant that foreigners (us) don't need to worry about the cameras if they don't speed.

It's the same as the cameras here. Don't speed and it doesn't matter where they are.

OP
OP
MR. FUSION
Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
Who cares about the French.

I meant that foreigners (us) don't need to worry about the cameras if they don't speed.

It's the same as the cameras here. Don't speed and it doesn't matter where they are.
Yep fine in principle, and OK if you like a frustrated French motorist up your derrière.

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
I bet we don't follow up foreign speeders in the same way as WE are pursued by foreign authorities ((ably assisted by our own "wonderful DVLA, who provide them with our addresses etc... FOR CASH !!!!))
Bless them !!!!
Mitch... :(:(:(

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
The subtle difference being that foreigners will have our fixed speed cams on their satnavs and be ready for the slow down but its increasing more difficult to get up to date locations of French speed cams on sat navs. So the new ones the local know about come as a surprise to foreigners. Anyway a lot of the French cams I saw had somehow set themselves alight :Eeek:
The French have a penchant for direct action.

Near our home in Burgundy the locals objected to the siting of a mobile phone mast, fearing "radiation" from the mast may harm their children. Their objection was overruled and the mast was built.

Within three weeks it miraculously caught fire. When it was rebuilt it caught fire again within a month. At the third attempt, in the middle of the night, it was toppled completely, probably by a tractor with chains. At that stage the telecoms company gave up.

As a result here is no mast anymore and reception is still crap in the area.

Like 'em or loath 'em you have to admire the French refusal to accept dictated authority. (Hence the French Revolution, I suppose).

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back