Hints & Tips for security when travelling abroad (1 Viewer)

dippingatoe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jul 23, 2013
UK
Funster No
MH
Thor Damon Daybreak 27P
Exp
jan 2014
I thought I would start a new thread, beginning with Jim's excellent list.

Please add any other ideas for me and others to learn by

Whenever you are parked in a public place you should be absolutely certain that no one can easily enter. Its easy to miss stuff when you're tired so make yourself a Wild Camping checklist. Never scoff at checklists, they work, its just too easy to miss important stuff when your tired. Something like this will do, this is an Evernote checklist on my phone
  • Not Nosey Parked - i.e. not parked so you can't drive off immediately.
  • Exterior Lockers locked
  • Bikes Secure- Alarm Loop On
  • Cab Doors Locked
  • Cab Windows Locked
  • Keys removed,
  • Alarm set to Sleep Mode
  • Nothing of any value in cab
  • Wallet/Purse/Passports hidden
  • Keys Handy
  • Phone charged in bed

OP
OP
dippingatoe

dippingatoe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jul 23, 2013
UK
Funster No
MH
Thor Damon Daybreak 27P
Exp
jan 2014
Things which I have not done but will now do are

Buy some window alarms
Photostat some money and put it in a cheap wallet together with some credit card looking things in an old handbag hung on the back of the drivers seat
Put my old computer and computer bag somewhere obvious
Leave a few things around on the counter top as though I have just gone to bed without locking things up
Keep all my valuables in the bedroom with me, plus the keys and phone. When I return to uk get a safe fitted somewhere hidden.

Give the dog lots of praise and treats for 'guarding'

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Things which I have not done but will now do are

Buy some window alarms
Photostat some money and put it in a cheap wallet together with some credit card looking things in an old handbag hung on the back of the drivers seat
Put my old computer and computer bag somewhere obvious
Leave a few things around on the counter top as though I have just gone to bed without locking things up
Keep all my valuables in the bedroom with me, plus the keys and phone. When I return to uk get a safe fitted somewhere hidden.

Give the dog lots of praise and treats for 'guarding'

I think that by leaving a hand bag open to view may be too much temptation for some thieves and may break a window to steal it. By all means leave a decoy out but not in direct view:eek:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
@dippingatoe
Understand where you're coming from about leaving old & fake stuff in easy reach - but surely that will just add to the temptation for a passing sneak thief who looks through your windows?
Surely a bag left on a seat will encourage someone to have a go, rather than move on to the next van if he can see nothing of value?
I prefer the opposite idea - of leaving out a dog's water bowl & perhaps what is obviously a dog's bed, or perhaps a couple of dog's toys on the seat ??? Might be a discouragement rather than an encouragement.
Just wondering.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Firstly: USE your alarm system ALL the time. Get used to doing it, even in a camp site within a locked gate. That way you never ever forget and you are secure PERIOD.
Secondly: do not leave anything in view no matter how small it is. ANYONE can become a thief as ALL thiefs are opportunist's - nothing in view nothing to steal.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
I fasten some long motorcycle cable locks through the steering wheel and round the door pulls so they will have to make a noise trying to break in, tugging on the doors or smashing a window. The hab door is bolted from the inside.
Finally Mrs Badknee is set to attack on sight mode. :D

OP
OP
dippingatoe

dippingatoe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jul 23, 2013
UK
Funster No
MH
Thor Damon Daybreak 27P
Exp
jan 2014
I t
Why when travelling abroad is it any more risky than the UK? I always feel just as safe/unsafe whether abroad or not

I think a foreign vehicle is probably more likely to be targeted as there are bound to be passports on board, and probably holiday money, cameras, phones and iPads etc. But thats just my thoughts.

OP
OP
dippingatoe

dippingatoe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jul 23, 2013
UK
Funster No
MH
Thor Damon Daybreak 27P
Exp
jan 2014
I h
Get a dog! :)

Our furry alarm system would ward off anyone who came within what he considers his territory.
I have, and it was she who woke me otherwise it could have been much much worse. But she is still only a puppy and not quite into guarding mode, though it will come and soon now I think. Dogs understand possessions, and she probably realised what had happened

OP
OP
dippingatoe

dippingatoe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jul 23, 2013
UK
Funster No
MH
Thor Damon Daybreak 27P
Exp
jan 2014
Agree in the main but I would not leave the copied money and cards in old handbag on show. Maybe stow that in a relatively easy place to find but out of site. Maybe an opportunist could see the bag and gave a go for it.
And @Langtoftlad @Jimbohorlicks, @Chipster

Yes the window blinds would be drawn so it would be only when you were inside you could see them.

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Isn't it pretty obvious that to some your motorhome is actually a large sign that says, "Cash and valuable goods inside including passports, food and clothing" That you should use your alarm if you have one, park sensibly in spot of your choice you feel comfortable in having had a good look around and make sure your windows and doors are locked leaving nothing on display or reachable from the outside.

Apart from that, I leave my large dog bowl outside with water in it and a chain lead and very large dog chew.

Other than that not much more you can do really.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I think it probably is more risky in the UK or abroad in areas where you don't know the score I always think there is safety in numbers the best you can hope for is that someone else looks a better target!!

OP
OP
dippingatoe

dippingatoe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jul 23, 2013
UK
Funster No
MH
Thor Damon Daybreak 27P
Exp
jan 2014
Unfortunately then I am at risk - big flashy RV, mobility scooter on the back, foreign number plate. Grow up quick Phoebe and do some serious GUARDING !!!

I don't need to put the big dog bowl and chain out. I have the big dog, well soon anyway :)

Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
And @Langtoftlad @Jimbohorlics, @Chipster

Yes the window blinds would be drawn so it would be only when you were inside you could see them.

Just a reminder that some people who see you using laptops, cameras etc. and leaving handbags hanging around during the day when your parked up are perfectly capable of of coming back to get them when you out walking the dog or at night. Best not to advertise if avoidable, of course, it depends on where are, some place are safer than others, but its something to keep in mind.

Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Unfortunately then I am at risk - big flashy RV, mobility scooter on the back, foreign number plate. Grow up quick Phoebe and do some serious GUARDING !!!

I don't need to put the big dog bowl and chain out. I have the big dog, well soon anyway :)

Doesn't matter that you have, or indeed might not have a big dog. The idea is to stop them trying to steal from you by putting them off in the first place!!!

ojibway

Free Member
Jul 17, 2012
Eastbourne
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005
Watch out for people trying to distract you.
We have had it happen twice - once in St Valery sur Somme and once at a motorway stop in Spain. They didn't fool us but it was interesting to see how the operated.
  • If you have a door open make sure you are sat near it. Don't be tempted to 'come and have a look' when someone is talking to your hubby/wifey/partner without closing doors! They usually work in pairs and separate when they approach you.
  • Make sure nothing of value is in easy reach.
  • Don't leave open doors out of your sight.
  • Keep manbags/handbags on you, not hanging on the back of a chair or on the floor
  • Don't be 'flashy' with your latest iPhone/laptop/tablet/Nikon. Best to be discreet.
  • Don't be paranoid - just be sensible!!

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I think that by leaving a hand bag open to view may be too much temptation for some thieves and may break a window to steal it. By all means leave a decoy out but not in direct view:eek:

I'm pretty sure that is what Sue meant.

I t

I think a foreign vehicle is probably more likely to be targeted as there are bound to be passports on board, and probably holiday money, cameras, phones and iPads etc.

And with any communication issues you are less likely to get the police on the case as fast as locals.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
I think that as long as you use common sense and as others have said don't advertise what you have and never stay where you feel unhappy about the place I think after a while you get a feel for where it's safe.
I think it should also be mentioned that out of the thousands of us that go Motorhomeing you only hear about the few who have had burglaries in fact they are in a minority that does not take away from them how horrific it is when it happens but in general it's probably unlikely to happen if you are sensible about your own security.

Jan 29, 2014
Scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache
Exp
July 2013
Off topic but been looking for packing list for overseas.
I looked in forums but not found.

Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
Always know your location and the emergency number of the Country that you are in.

And if you can't remember the emergency number for the country that you are in dialling 112 will work and most times will get you all emergency services but there are some exceptions as can be seen in the below link. (have to admit until I looked that up I didn't realise it only gave you certain services in some countries).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/112_(emergency_telephone_number)

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I have a false wallet with out of date cards etc and it looks the part, they would get it and then find after that it was full of rubbish, put a load of old crap in it so it really looks the part. It might even work if they actually robbed you face to face with demands.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Off topic but been looking for packing list for overseas.
I looked in forums but not found.

Do you mean things you specifically have to take when going abroad but not when travelling here?

If so there isn't a definitive list, different countries have different requirements.

You can click from this page to find more info.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back