National Trust Parking larger vehicles (1 Viewer)

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Part selfish and part I hope useful to others...

We like to stop off at NT properties during the day. Breaks the travel, have a walk, cup of tea, soup etc and pretty good value for money if you are a member as parking is free. However, at 3o feet, not every NT site is suitable for 'popping in' (or out for that matter) and I have had a couple of very bad experiences including a burnt out clutch trying to extricate myself from one.

So, I have created a map page on my website here and started to put on it some of the ones we have visited. Have a look and you will get the idea. I will continue to add to this myself over time and hopefully try out the ones you guys suggest (which is the selfish bit)

So, if you would like me to add markers to this map just pop detail into this thread and I will add (and attribute) them to the map. Primarily I am looking for ones for larger i.e. over 8m vehicles but am happy to create a pin set for smaller vehicles and label them up as such if you let me have them.

You never know, we might get a bit of help from the NT themselves!

Chris

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
What a great idea.....not members ourselves at the moment:D.....however our local one is Clumber Park and you'll have no problems there(y)

OP
OP
ceejayt

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
What a great idea.....not members ourselves at the moment:D.....however our local one is Clumber Park and you'll have no problems there(y)

Yes, been to Clumber Park - great cycling - adding it now! Thanks for the reminder

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dippingatoe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jul 23, 2013
UK
Funster No
MH
Thor Damon Daybreak 27P
Exp
jan 2014
Probably depends on the time of year as well. Off season there is far more available slots. If you check out my blog there are lots of NT and English Heritage places I have visited in my Rv (over 30ft with mobility scooter rack), But some of the entrance gates can be a bit tight. Went to Lulworth Castle before Christmas (not NT) and just could not get out the exit gate. Had to reverse up and go wrong way down one way system and out through the in gate.

OP
OP
ceejayt

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Probably depends on the time of year as well. Off season there is far more available slots. If you check out my blog there are lots of NT and English Heritage places I have visited in my Rv (over 30ft with mobility scooter rack), But some of the entrance gates can be a bit tight. Went to Lulworth Castle before Christmas (not NT) and just could not get out the exit gate. Had to reverse up and go wrong way down one way system and out through the in gate.
Thanks - will take a look

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Plenty of room at Dunster Castle near Minehead but maybe best to park next to the road for an easier exit as it can be a bit tight once the place fills up.

Another we did down there with no parking problems was Arlington Court and the National Trust Carriage Museum north of Barnstaple.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ceejayt

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Plenty of room at Dunster Castle near Minehead but maybe best to park next to the road for an easier exit as it can be a bit tight once the place fills up.

Another we did down there with no parking problems was Arlington Court and the National Trust Carriage Museum north of Barnstaple.
Dunster Castle now added with your comment - thanks

dippingatoe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jul 23, 2013
UK
Funster No
MH
Thor Damon Daybreak 27P
Exp
jan 2014
Now Plas Newydd brings my first comment into play.

When I visited Anglesey autumn 2014 I called in expecting to park and the place was heaving. Took me all my time to manage to turn round to actually get back out again, and I never did get to see the place.

Candapack

Free Member
Oct 16, 2014
Fife, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2013
Inverewe Gardens, Poolewe, nr. Gairloch. NW Scotland.
Beautiful gardens, best visited early summer. Car park very accessible for larger vehicles.

OP
OP
ceejayt

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Now Plas Newydd brings my first comment into play.

When I visited Anglesey autumn 2014 I called in expecting to park and the place was heaving. Took me all my time to manage to turn round to actually get back out again, and I never did get to see the place.
Thanks - your quote added to the pin detail on the map as a warning

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
If you're adding comments is it worth mentioning that Clumber Park is less than 1 mile from the A1?

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
You never know, we might get a bit of help from the NT themselves!
Well done, Chris, and here's to your success.

Don't hold your breath waiting for the NT though. As you will see from the notes on my web site, only 3 managers of NT properties have added information for motorhome parking despite all of them supposedly being encouraged to do so well over 2 years ago (2 of the 3 had included the notes before that "encouragement").

OP
OP
ceejayt

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Well done, Chris, and here's to your success.

Don't hold your breath waiting for the NT though. As you will see from the notes on my web site, only 3 managers of NT properties have added information for motorhome parking despite all of them supposedly being encouraged to do so well over 2 years ago (2 of the 3 had included the notes before that "encouragement").

Thanks - I have emailed them and have had a few good responses in the past to the Blog so once I get one or two more on the map I will give it a proper social campaign shot!

Reactions: GJH
Jun 7, 2014
Cleethorpes
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Hi, i have been to a few NT properties this past year. Although my van is only 6mtrs, i would say Sudbury Hall near Uttoxeter would be a easy park for a RV as Motorhomes were parked in with the coaches.
One that springs to mind that I wouldn't like to tackle again would be Chedworth Roman Villa near Cirencester due to the narrow approach roads, although there was a coach up there, the driver probably does it on regular basis.
Mike

OP
OP
ceejayt

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Hi, i have been to a few NT properties this past year. Although my van is only 6mtrs, i would say Sudbury Hall near Uttoxeter would be a easy park for a RV as Motorhomes were parked in with the coaches.
One that springs to mind that I wouldn't like to tackle again would be Chedworth Roman Villa near Cirencester due to the narrow approach roads, although there was a coach up there, the driver probably does it on regular basis.
Mike
Thanks - Sudbury Hall added and Chedworth marked as a No with a red pin

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
Not only is the time of year important, but other unexpected factors can come into play. Our van is only 6m and we have had little problem accessing most NT properties.

The road to Chedworth is narrow but passing places are OK (and roads always seem easier coming back ;)). Maneuvering near the Villa was helped by my reversing camera and sensors. Trerice (Cornwall) also has narrow access roads IMO but coaches get there and the road's not as far as Chedworth (y).

However, we'd only had the van a couple of months when we visited Wing House (I think - no longer NT as far as I can see) near Leighton Buzzard. We were directed to the overflow carpark which involved going through a "farm" gate, turning hard left, driving alongside a brick barn, going through another narrow gate and turning hard right (none of this would be suitable for longer vehicles). What I failed to notice was that the guttering of the barn was supported by adjustable metal spikes and one gouged a channel into the roof :(. I remember reading that you have to think in 3D when driving a MH. Fortunately, it was less than a cm wide and only a few mm deep BUT I was heartbroken and my kids stopped asking if they could borrow the van :cry:.

Good luck with your project - Gordon

OP
OP
ceejayt

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Not only is the time of year important, but other unexpected factors can come into play. Our van is only 6m and we have had little problem accessing most NT properties.

However, we'd only had the van a couple of months when we visited Wing House (I think - no longer NT as far as I can see) near Leighton Buzzard.

Good luck with your project - Gordon

I think you are referring to Ascott - now added to the map and based on your description as a red pin - thanks

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back