Tow bar mounted bike rack (1 Viewer)

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Had a Pendle tow bar mounted bike rack in our last van, now looking again for another for our new van

Needs to carry two electric bikes with a combined weight of 55 kg

Ideally would like a drop down version if possible

Any suggestion ?

Thanks in advance

Regards
Robert

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
whats wrong with the garage..far more secure and out of the elements
We've got the upgraded weight chassis so the internal height of the garage is reduced by 100mm
Overall height 1000mm - our bikes don't fit!!!!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
We've got the upgraded weight chassis so the internal height of the garage is reduced by 100mm
Overall height 1000mm - our bikes don't fit!!!!!
Oh bugger! Would they fit if you put quick release front wheel and saddles on them perhaps? You could clamp them down with the lugs for the front wheel.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Yep, just take front wheel off...what e bikes you buying
We've already got bikes - Volt Hybrid for me and Volt 'Mary Poppins' for Mrs C - got a BIG basket on the
My bike has Disk brakes

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Oh bugger! Would they fit if you put quick release front wheel and saddles on them perhaps? You could clamp them down with the lugs for the front wheel.
Saddles not the problem

ebikejohn

Free Member
Dec 11, 2015
Hereford
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2006
Both Witter and Cykell sell racks for eBikes and it is worth searching for a more basic rack from a British company called BakRak, we've got a BakRak that we use with a box very occasionally, we use a Cykell both on the Motorhome and our vans when we go out to demo days with bikes, the Cykell will take 60kg and is a lot slicker than the BakRak but twice the price - about £400.
Does the 55kg include the batteries?

ebikejohn

Free Member
Dec 11, 2015
Hereford
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2006
Yes, if their that ugly I would want to put them in the garage. ;)

I asked my other half it was all right to put ugly eBikes on the bike rack where everybody could see them but all she said was "shut up and get back in the garage".

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Both Witter and Cykell sell racks for eBikes and it is worth searching for a more basic rack from a British company called BakRak, we've got a BakRak that we use with a box very occasionally, we use a Cykell both on the Motorhome and our vans when we go out to demo days with bikes, the Cykell will take 60kg and is a lot slicker than the BakRak but twice the price - about £400.
Does the 55kg include the batteries?
Yes 55kg complete

ebikejohn

Free Member
Dec 11, 2015
Hereford
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2006
Yes 55kg complete

If it were me I would always remove the batteries to keep the weight down but both the Cykell and the BakRak will take the 55kg anyway.

Because we sell electric bikes we have to transport them with the batteries fitted if we are travelling on business because the batteries are treated as hazardous freight off the bike but they are not if they are fitted to the bike.

If you transport them for personal use then you are not subject to the same freight transport regs, to be honest keeping the batteries separate from the bikes makes good sense from both a security and a practical viewpoint as well as making them a lot easier to lift them on and off the rack.

If you go the Batribike website they list Cykell dealers and there may well be one near to you, my advice would be to go and try one out, see if it fits etc.

The BakRak is a bit more trouble to fit and not so easy on the eye but I humped a 38kg box to Monaco and back last year and it performed perfectly.

ebikejohn

Free Member
Dec 11, 2015
Hereford
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2006
I use an old Fiamma cover - it's battered with ingrained marks, the bounce went from its a bungee about the same time as mine went (years ago) so I use a ratchet strap as well, under that the rack and the bikes are chained together (padded, motorcycle security chain) so if somebody is curious enough to look underneath they are going to be at least a bit put off, I rarely overnight on Aires but if I do I reverse up tight to whatever I can.
The Cykell locks to the van and the bikes all lock to the Cykell but I always use a chain as well, the latest generation of armoured cables would work as well, don't use a Pound Shop special though.

Van Comfort sell a very nice looking cover made by Hindermann and when the Fiamma finally gives up the ghost I suspect that is what I will buy.
My van has a big garage but I've got other stuff that I put in there, some vans don't have garages at all so owners have to put their bikes on a rack.
The Fiamma only gives limited protection from road grime but it is pretty anonymous and uninteresting and that's what I like about it.
Don't forget that Van Bitz can add a loop to their alarm system for your bike rack as well.

ebikejohn

Free Member
Dec 11, 2015
Hereford
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2006
Check out Caravan Club magazine this month, they have Westfalias on promotion at £325, rated to 65kg.

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
We bought an Westphalia bike rack easy to use, 60kg, takes two bikes. Looked at alot before settling on this one, we did try a bakrak but not for us. Very happy with with the westphalia BC60.

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Tried to get our two E bikes into our garage with the wheels off, however the reduced headroom of only 1000mm meant that they still didn't quite fit even with the wheels off.
So took a look at the Cykell bike rack
Broken Link Removed

However actually managing to buy one in the UK is a bit of a nightmare (I'm lazy and don't like trudging round the shops). As the owner of an online retailer I was surprised just how difficult it is to buy one online. One person was selling them on Ebay, at £50 MORE that you could get them elsewhere.

Think Cykell need to take a serious look at their online sales strategy.

Anyway, the 2 bike version has arrived and I'm just waiting to get the tow bar fitted next week.

Thanks for all the feedback guys

Will post some pics and feedback on the fitted rack if anyone is interested?

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Tried to get our two E bikes into our garage with the wheels off, however the reduced headroom of only 1000mm meant that they still didn't quite fit even with the wheels off.
So took a look at the Cykell bike rack
Broken Link Removed

However actually managing to buy one in the UK is a bit of a nightmare (I'm lazy and don't like trudging round the shops). As the owner of an online retailer I was surprised just how difficult it is to buy one online. One person was selling them on Ebay, at £50 MORE that you could get them elsewhere.

Think Cykell need to take a serious look at their online sales strategy.

Anyway, the 2 bike version has arrived and I'm just waiting to get the tow bar fitted next week.

Thanks for all the feedback guys

Will post some pics and feedback on the fitted rack if anyone is interested?

if you remove seat post and front wheel surely it will go it in..what do you mean by reduced height as the Carthago we were looking at had more head room then Hymer. Lenny gets two ebikes in to his exsis with nothing removed.

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
if you remove seat post and front wheel surely it will go it in..what do you mean by reduced height as the Carthago we were looking at had more head room then Hymer. Lenny gets two ebikes in to his exsis with nothing removed.
Our version had the upgraded heavyweight chasis, so garage height is reduced from 1100mm to only 1000mm
Mrs C's bike has a large shopping basket on the front (Mary Poppins Style) which cant easily be removed and also has VERY high handle bars
51K1ECClkrL._SX300_.jpg

Aug 10, 2012
cambridge
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
since2001
Thule make a tow ball rack, they also make a cargo 'shelf' that will take bike mounts, all tow ball mounted.

Google thule easy base

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
I'd spend the money buying your missus a new bike that will fit in the garage.
I got a couple of folding bikes which fitted in the garage perfectly - but Mrs C prefers her electric bike, so the folding bikes are now for sale

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Love those Dutch style city bikes! The Dutch make it look so cool gliding around the cycle tracks!
I've ridden it a few times myself and it's really good ride - the nice big wheels mean it's pretty stable, and the shopping basket in the front is ideal when we're away in the MH and need to pick up some groceries. And being electric assist, you can easily cover 50km on a long ride, without running out of steam

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back