230v Fridge works, Sockets don't? Help please (1 Viewer)

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
This afternoon I went into the 'van (Hobby on an X244 Fiat)

Immediately prior I had connected the 'van to the mains. I attempted to connect a mains powered heater with no response. I went to the Mains fuse box,(complete with RCD) It was switched in the 'On' position but the trip switch wouldn't work. I jiggled it On, Off etc. a few times
I tried the heater in all the plugs without effect. The microwave which is powered by mains wasn't lit up, indicating to me that I wasn't getting mains power from the van.
HOWEVER, On switching on the 230v supply to the fridge the bulb lit indicating that the fridge at least was receiving juice.

At this point I made a tactical withdrawal because,
1. I couldn't think any further at this point without assistance
2. It was f.f.f.f.f.freezing

Anyone enlighten (not intended) me as to where to go from here.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
The fridge bulb will be 12v recieving its supply via the 12v fuse distribution unit.

Try the hookup lead in another 230v house socket.
Check the 13amp fuse in the domestic 3 pin plug to h/u lead adaptor.
Check there is 230v at the h/u lead using a volt meter
Try another h/u lead.
Do you mean the manual trip button on the RCD....if that wont trip by pressing the button then there is no 230v power getting to the fuse box.
If nothing else 230v is working then it can only be the supply at fault.

Last edited:

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
It's deffo a 'fuse' problem I would think. Along with the main switch and RCD it should have separate ones, on ours it's Fridge, Sockets, water heater. (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
if the rcd will not trip, you have no power. The fridge lamp may glow but is the fridge working? What is your mains lead connected to? are you sure that is on? Do you have (or can borrow) another mains lead?

OP
OP
Emmit

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Thanks fellas,

You've provided me with something to help me freeze to death tomorrow morning!!!
I was intending to put the heater on a timer and have it tripping on for 15mins each hour through the night rather than draining down but I've bitten the bullet and pulled, or is pushed the dump valve and dropped the water. I was reluctant to do this because the last time we did we had a few problems with spluttering taps and showers.
In a 'normal' winter there's no need down here in Cornwall but this weekend promises to be a lot colder than we're used to.

Once again, many thanks

OP
OP
Emmit

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Right. Own up.

Which of you rotten lot has sneaked into my garage when my back was turned and loosened the screw to the neg terminal of my hook up lead four complete turns. C'mon I'm waiting. (till Hell freezes over and that might be tonight)

Seriously,, how can a threaded screw undo itself sitting idly in a garage for three months. It was OK last time I used it.

We now have power. Thanks to all contributors.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Seriously,, how can a threaded screw undo itself sitting idly in a garage for three months. It was OK last time I used it.

Ah, that's electrickery for you! :eek: It does happen a lot more than you think but well done for finding it. (y)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Who really knows.
We find it a lot while fault finding domestic instalations.

Once a screw comes loose vibration can loosen it further.
It may be that the conductor WAS touching the terminal last time used but the screw was already loose.

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
Seriously,, how can a threaded screw undo itself sitting idly in a garage for three months
It's the mice wot did it.
happy-mouse-cartoon-illustration-59576269.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back