Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Our main (summer) MH holiday is always in Europe, but as we've 'done' France, Switzerland, Belgium etc, this year, Mrs W fancies something different. Me? Well I know that to 'do' France would take a lifetime at least, but her ladyship wants a change.

Consequently (and enthused by the Funster Nomads) I've been looking at other places a bit further afield. Never been to Portugal and as folk rave about it, it's come to the top of my list.

Question is, to drive, or take a ferry to Bilbao or Santander. I notice a lot of Funsters take the ferry - even down to discussing the 'right' boat to use! BUT, Whoa, the ferry prices are a joke!!

Because of Mrs W's work and having only the school holidays to play with, I got a quote for outbound July and return in August. £700 odd quid out and over £600 back :( I think that was Brittany Ferries no frills économie service too.

Unless I'm pressing the wrong buttons to get a quote, (MH up to 8m x 3m heigh, no trailer or pets) WHO would pay £1,300 for such a voyage? It doesn't cost that much for a Mediterranean Cruise!

• Do folk use the ferry to cut the stress of driving that far?
  • Is it to save VAT (vear & tear) on the van?
  • Is it one's proximity to a UK port like Southampton?
  • Is it the 'cruise' experience?
  • Is it to save time and get to Spain/Portugal soon-as?
You certainly wouldn't spend £1,300 on diesel and tolls and as far as for saving time (assuming one wanted to) some of the crossings take 2 days and sailing days are limited.

Perhaps the ferry is not for me; unless someone can put me right. I'm only an hour from the tunnel but I've got a 3.5 hour drive to Southampton. Therefore, I can be a few hours into France by the time I got to Soton. Cruise experience? Not bobbing about in the Bay of Biscay it isn't. Anyway, if I wanted a cruise, I'd book a hol on Royal Carribean :D

So; help me out here guys.

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
It seems to be far more expensive in summer, we go out in October and back in March towing a trailer for around £900. Cheaper to drive but for me not worth taking up a chunk of your holiday driving, I would stick to France.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
It is all a matter of personal choice. we have done both but certainly coming back allows us to do the vet trip in Portugal with vets we know and trust. Also we have 400 odd miles to do in the UK so having a break in the middle is good. I did the sums once and without any overnight stop costs the ferry was just cheaper if mpg was under 20, but since then prices have fallen for diesel. Also Mrs Maxi is not that keen on France, though one year we must do the D Day beaches

Deleted User
We have driven to Portugal twice, treat it as part of the holiday. The thought of 24+ hours on a ferry on a rough sea is not my idea of fun.
It is still a fair distance from Santander to the Portugese border

Spongy

Nov 24, 2008
Anywhere that takes our fancy
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since july 2009 And Still Going Strong
We prefer the drive than spending that long on the ferry. Usually do Dover- Calais but this time we did Poole-Cherbourg. Single cost about £270 for 10m m/h and trailer. Landed early afternoon then drove to just south Le Mans first night then long drive next day to Capbreton. Then through Spain and into central Portugal near Marvao. Works for us.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
May I point out a trick you may be missing! We have done the Santander crossing many times, and just love the crossing, but we do always book commodore or deluxe cabins (you have to book over a year in advance for those).
Anyway, back on track, you do a one way to Spain, then do your trip down through Portugal, cross back into Spain at the Guardiana, and meander back North, ending up at Calais, and cross back there. It takes a little longer, but you get to see so much more!

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
May I point out a trick you may be missing! We have done the Santander crossing many times, and just love the crossing, but we do always book commodore or deluxe cabins (you have to book over a year in advance for those).
Anyway, back on track, you do a one way to Spain, then do your trip down through Portugal, cross back into Spain at the Guardiana, and meander back North, ending up at Calais, and cross back there. It takes a little longer, but you get to see so much more!
Sensible idea, its very easy to run out of time if you have two long journeys there and back to do and what is the point of rushing down the toll roads ?

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
We have driven to Portugal twice, treat it as part of the holiday. The thought of 24+ hours on a ferry on a rough sea is not my idea of fun.
It is still a fair distance from Santander to the Portugese border

Spongy

Mind you driving south through the rain and snow can be quite unfunny too. I have been crossing Biscay for some 50+ years now, and rough crossings are in the minority and all the ferries are stabilised. After all a large chunk of the ferry company profits come from what they sell you on board, if you are ill you are not spending.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
You did buy a MOTORHOME not a ship. Enjoy what you see out of the screen, rather than a load of waves. I see a lot of Spanish and Portuguese lorries here in Dover, so there must be an economic reason for them to do it, why not you as well.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
We live in Portugal,can do it easily to Coimbra,between Porto and Lisbon in three days,from Derbyshire-Tunnel-Rouen-Salamanca-Guarda. That includes,stopping for walking the dog,while a meal is being prepared and not hitting the bricks till gone 09.00hrs. First wife has gone to roost,but will let you know rough costs of Tolls tomorrow.(She does money,me,transportation). The drive down is not stressful,the only thing i have to watch is the speedo ,the road is a joy. We have done it in two days,but we both have 500mile kidneys,the poor old growler,needs "Comfort breaks" more often now,but that is not a problem,with huge service areas with plenty of "Walkies" room in the rest areas .
Money wise, not a lot in it,will post the tolls tomorrow,mileage is about 1.350,i work on 25mpg.. with a Renault PVC.
Tea Bag.
PS. I would rather you kept your tales of doing 48mpg with a Renault PVC,to yourselves,i have convinced first wife,that 25mpg is good...LOL.actually it shows on the speeedo readout 27mpg.

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
We went to Albufeira the other year for the winter, drove from Calais to the Spanish border at Irun approximately 650 miles, then across Spain to the Portugeseborder at Badajoz then down to Albufeira another 740 miles.

So assuming that Diesel is £4 a gallon the cost of crossing France (assuming 25MPG) is roughly £100. So I cannot for the life of me see how it can be cheaper to go by ferry to Santander or Bilbao judging by the prices I see for a crossing.

We spent about £25 on tolls we didn't use many toll roads but did use free autoroutes along the way.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
You can catch ferry from Poole or Southampton to France.
Must be cheaper and saves you the drive?
Are you limited by time? Must it be august?

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
I gotta say one of the reasons we have a motorhome is for the drive. I enjoy driving it and couldn't stand being cooped up in a ferry for ages. Then there's the dog. He lives for travelling in the van, loves the Aires on the journey and the new smells. Each to their own though.

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
We did Poole to Cherbourg in November then down through France into Spain across Spain into Portugal opposite lisbo down to algarve. We had plenty of time so took us six weeks, did about 1500 miles and cost in fuel was £245 because fuel is cheap. The roads are empty and good apart from Portugal. Better than sitting on a ferry for hours.

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
We have always driven down to Spain normally by way of the tunnel. We're currently down in Spain, came down this time using Portsmouth to Bilbao. I have to say that despite some preconceptions brought about by reading far too many posts on here that it was a very pleasant experience despite bad weather.

It cost us about £320 for a 6m motorhome including the cabin. Once ashore we had one overnight before reaching our destination.

It's all a matter of personal preference, now we've tried it we will happily do it again, except when we fancy that lovely meander through France.

Edit: No I wouldn't pay the kind of price you have been quoted, but just wanted to say that it can be done cheaper at the right time of year. Remember also that a lot of funsters are happy to share their Brittany Ferry discount code that will get you 10% off the booking :).

Last edited:

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
We have always driven down to Spain normally by way of the tunnel. We're currently down in Spain, came down this time using Portsmouth to Bilbao. I have to say that despite some preconceptions brought about by reading far too many posts on here that it was a very pleasant experience despite bad weather.

It cost us about £320 for a 6m motorhome including the cabin. Once ashore we had one overnight before reaching our destination.

It's all a matter of personal preference, now we've tried it we will happily do it again, except when we fancy that lovely meander through France.

Edit: No I wouldn't pay the kind of price you have been quoted, but just wanted to say that it can be done cheaper at the right time of year. Remember also that a lot of funsters are happy to share their Brittany Ferry discount code that will get you 10% off the booking :).

I guess that is a one way trip @daveandginny

Martin

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
James, we would always take the tunnel and drive. But we are both retired and can take our time. If one of you is restricted because of work then the ferry gives you 3 or 4 more days where you ultimately want to be. And Portugal is a very nice place to be.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
It will cost me £900 going out in May returning July with a 6.50 MH. I'm very happy to pay that as we enjoy the voyage and we live about ten minutes from the ferry port at Plymouth. I bought a MH to tour in, not drive five hundred miles a day.

Cost isn't everything, otherwise we would all be in tents, but it is very much a personal thing, so do what suits you and don't try to suggest those of us who use the ferry to Spain are profligate idiots! :)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We are of in 4 weeks to Portugal, Newhaven- Dieppe ferry allowing ourselves a week for a pleasant drive down. To Spain it will cost us under £300 return compared to ferry at £870.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
You did buy a MOTORHOME not a ship. Enjoy what you see out of the screen, rather than a load of waves. I see a lot of Spanish and Portuguese lorries here in Dover, so there must be an economic reason for them to do it, why not you as well.

that's because it is quicker. It takes same time to Bilbao/Santander as to the border at Irun in an artic , 10 hours. Then another 12,5 hours to Calais /Dunkirk. 1,5hrs across channel. You are their before the boat has arrived at Plymouth.

+ it's cheaper & your produce is their earlier.Depending on produce it could be over through tunnel, especially if delivering up north/Scotland, & back on ferry.

Firm up near Murcia, Primafrio, send 500+ artics a week to the UK & very few ever use the Biscay route.

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
PS. I would rather you kept your tales of doing 48mpg with a Renault PVC,to yourselves,i have convinced first wife,that 25mpg is good...LOL.actually it shows on the speeedo readout 27mpg
Like it. My Renault PVC shows the same.(y)

Soaringman

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
March 2012
:)Thinking outside of the box, Portugal seems a long way to go by Motorhome if you are limited by time.
I know you want somewhere different so why not try Germany?
Lovely country great scenery/food/beer. The home of Lidl/Aldi. Cheaper than the UK. And they are Motorhome friendly. If you are touring you could always go as far as Switzerland or Austria. You can than take Eurostar, our preferred crossing.
Just a thought.
Portugal+ Summer+ limited time = flight + villa + rental car :smiley:

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
Like it. My Renault PVC shows the same.(y)
Hi.
So thats two of us driving at Mega Warp.speed then LOL.

Cost of Tolls from Sanef bill for.."Both ways Porty-England-Porty",coming off and going back on at Poitiers coming back, (adds a bit on) £205.47.
The old road to and from Poitiers to Bordeaux is a cracker and free,but time was tight,coming back. Hope this helps.

Now the ferries,some of us suffer from "Mal de Mar", (I am tempted to say By the Bucketfull LOL).However,a Sea Kyaka ? told me about "Stugeron 15" Sea sickness pills,oh,yes,talking to a mate who was suffering from dizzy spells,he mentioned his Dr. had put him on Stugeron tablets. 1+1=2 ? result. So,managing to get a Dog friendly cabin.... THAT is the first hurdle for the ferry.no way is the growler going up in one of those kennel/cages! and taking the prescribed dose of Sterguron,off we sailed from Plymouth,that night somewhere in the Bay of Biscuits excusethe change,i have hit a wrong button LOL.There was the growler and i,sat out in the dark on the top deck 10? enjoying the breeze,and me with a belly full of stew from the little restaurant up there...RESULT.
So Two things the ferry has against it for some,dog friendly cabins seem to be booked 40 yrs in advance,if your dog is a bit aged/infirm,the kennels are a no no, and Mal de Mar.
Did i go and see the Dolphins playing around the ship as we neared Spain ?................ NO! i didn't push my luck LOL.
Tea Bag

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
For us, a motorhome is for driving and we like the road trips nearly as much as the "arriving". But it is very much a case of each to their own !!
Enjoy your trips all of you..

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
Hi Update
First wife says the Sanef bill for a trip before,coming up to,and off of on the old road Bordeaux/Poitiers (Cracker!) ,then onto the Peage £160. This may have gone up now,as this was last year.
Tea Bag

Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
Always the boat for us as we have 450 miles before we even get to Portsmouth so the 24 hour crossing gives us both a break .
The cost is about £780 return on the economy ferry

Reactions: DBK

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
I gotta say one of the reasons we have a motorhome is for the drive. I enjoy driving it and couldn't stand being cooped up in a ferry for ages. Then there's the dog. He lives for travelling in the van, loves the Aires on the journey and the new smells. Each to their own though.

I bought the motorhome to be able to stay in places we liked, and visit places we want to see. The driving is often the non optional bit between places, as I said it is a personal choice. Our two dogs like the ferry, we have a dog friendly cabin and they meet new chums in the exercise area. I certainly do not feel cooped up on the ferry, there is enough to see and do, entertainment in the evening and the food is good. t the time we travel much of holiday France is shut

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back