Motorhome security (1 Viewer)

Howard H

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 10, 2015
West Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Benimar mileo 294
I was just reading the sad case of the stolen motorhome and was just wondering what else I could do to secure my mh,for example wheel clamps . My van is already alarmed and under 24 hr camera security so with out giving to many details what's everyone suggest ?

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
I think good quality visible anti theft devices like steering wheel and wheel clamps pedal clamps gear stick locks are deterrent and help... I would spend my money on them rather than a tracker say... but insurance may insist on a tracker...
It's fairly well known now that if thieves can access the diagnostic socket and have the right gear they can start and get the van away without your keys.. One solution there is to rewire the socket and have your own adapter to convert it back....
Fitting your own simple switches in consealed locations on ignition or other essential circuits ,but on modern vehicles you need to check that this won't cause other faults if you forget to switch them..
If your seats swivel and it's possible to somehow fit a good quality lock to secure the drivers seat in the other position is a simple and cheap deterrent may involve no more than drilling a hole and buying a good quality lock..
I suppose it depends on how badly they want your van and how much time they have to overcome your security in its given location..
Ta Andy.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Here's a shot of some simple security I install any time I park up.. It takes seconds and is visible...
The home made pedal clamp uses a roller shutter door locking pin to secure it... light and easily store in the door pocket...
Ta Andy .
20160114_140537.jpg

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I'll stick with the visible alarm and extra immobilisation.

The problem with wheel/gear stick/pedal clamps is that they are all pretty easy to remove as long as you don't mind doing some damage in the process which thieves wouldn't mind at all.

Clickem

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years
We have a wheel clamp in addition to the alarm. I would have preferred a steering wheel/gear/pedal clamp but as the MH is stored with all the blinds closed they are no deterrent

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
A very high percentage of motorhomes that are stolen and shared on FaceBook etc have little or no security fitted at all. And sometimes when it is, it is badly fitted, outdated or not checked and maintained

Being in the industry, should I dare ask such questions when some one has reported a loss I would be seen in a bad light and touting for business, which wouldn't be the case, just seeking information.

The older the vehicle the easier it is to steal, but the less likely you are to come across someone that really knows what they are doing. I have said on FUN before that MMM have run many features on us and our products over the years (There is an feature about Growler in this months MMM Feb 2016 for example) One feature in 1999 we broke into and hotwired a motorhome in under twenty seconds.

The Andy63 is correct that with the correct equipment, the OBD (On Board Diagnostics) Port that every vehicle has can be used to turn off a CAN bus alarm and start the vehicle without using the vehicle keys, a reason that we feel that having a separate radio key fob to turn the alarm on and off remains the best viable option.

In essence the socket that garages plug their portable computers in, can be used by bad people to turn off alarms and start motorhomes. If yours is vulnerable to that, you have had the wrong equipment fitted.

This is another reason why we as do some luxury car systems incorporate your smart phone into your motorhome security regime to put multiple hurdles in the path of a thief.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
OP
OP
Howard H

Howard H

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 10, 2015
West Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Benimar mileo 294
Thanks guys good advice as always ,the turning the seat around and locking it is brilliant I am going to look into that but I guess if a professional thief want our vans they will get them :mad: but not with out a fight eh.

May 24, 2014
North Devon
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
Since 2013
We have strikeback fitted and along with the factory fitted engine immobilizer l have a steering wheel bar lock and a cable that runs through the steering wheel and around both door handles with a padlock. All vehicle keys are kept secure in the house. I don't think that there is much more l can do in the belief that the time that it may take for a potential van thief may be a sufficient deterrent..l hope !!!

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Visual deterrents I use will hopefully just make the thieves move along to the next MoHo that doesn't have them.

It is fact of life that IF some Scrote wants your goods they will have it, The question is how long it takes to get it, the longer you make it, the less likely that it will happen.

Mine parks facing my Drive Camera, an IP device which is programmed to Take short video clips if the van is approached and send them to my Phone. The gates to the rear of the van can be Bolted and Locked, their is a small Trailer locked to the tow ball, at an angle, and it is a bitch at the best of times to reverse in a straight line!. to add to all that My Old Toad parks in front of the gates!!. I would bet most T leaves would move down the road where the van faces outwards with nothing in it`s way!!. Oh. BTW did I mention the Alarm immobiliser, and tracker?.

Pete

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Visible mechanical deterrent's wheel clamp, Disclok on steering wheel, in addition a good quality cycle D lock fixes both front seats inwardly facing. Plus alarm. Mechanical devices can deter they take time and are noisy to remove. Make it awkward and they might find an easier less protected vehicle.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Forgot to mention lock em out levers on Hab window catches,

I saw them being punted at last years Peterborough. My thoughts are that on "Plastic" windows they are probably only cosmetic. There was a report, some time back, of an incident where the locks where bypassed by some scrote using a Blowtorch to cut around the whole lock(s). (Spain I think??)

Pete

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
I lock all my doors and that's about it. if they want it they will take it if they cant take it they will probably damage it

joe

Apr 23, 2015
berkshire
Funster No
MH
autocruise gleneagle
Exp
since 2005
What are the lock em out levers on Habwindows??

Augusta08

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2015
Morbihan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Augusta
Exp
Since 2001
I think its easy to become paranoid about theft of your MoHo in reality stealing a complete vehicle is very rare. Turning the seats round and wheel locks are more likely to cause you inconvenience and do nothing to prevent a break-in, dead locks on the doors and window locks combined with a decent alarm would be a better investment.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back