Setting up a satellite dish (again) (1 Viewer)

shortfuse

Free Member
Apr 9, 2008
Inverness
Funster No
MH
C
Exp
Bought a Satgear kit SK13 with a 65cm dish and just got around to trying it out last week . I read all the info I could find but still could not get a result ,:Sad:the story so far-----set it up with the dish more or less vertical ,in scotland, and pointing within a few degrees of the correct bearing and started to move it a fraction at a time, managed to get a signal strength of over 90 and a quality signal of 80
I thought this was it set up but after about an hour messing about I found this was Astra 1 and all I could get were German channels . I tried moving it round up/down but was unable to pick any other signals up . Is Astra 1 the same vertical setting as Astra 2 ? Any tips for setting a dish up . We spent about 5 hours over two days and our 35 year marriage came close to ending in a hail dishes receivers and cable

Last edited:
S

sinbad1

Deleted User
Bought a Satgear kit SK13 with a 65cm dish and just got around to trying it out last week . I read all the info I could find but still could not get a result ,:Sad:the story so far-----set it up with the dish more or less vertical ,in scotland, and pointing within a few degrees of the correct bearing and started to move it a fraction at a time

Can be tricky at first you would probably be more succesful with Link Removed

Tune to highest deflection the reduce the sensitivity and move fractionally again to get max deflection again repeat untill there is no improvement in the deflection. you shold then be spot on; however astra 28 and astra 19 are close.

regards

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qMbbi2l9JA&feature=related"]click here[/ame]

Last edited by a moderator:

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
If you are getting good strength and good quality through your sky box,, try turning the box off for a few minuets and then switch on again,, chances are it has not locked onto the sat, some times it takes a few mins.

I have got a commercial meter, and it showed good picture quality,, good strength and 89% clearway to the astra sat,, but up at the Americana do you think it would pick up once I had connected the sky box to the aerial. Not a chance,, switched off in disgust at spending a few hundred quid on the all singing dancing contraption.:cry: Switched on again and thought I would have one last go,,,, and low & behold a perfect picture. :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
We spent about 5 hours over two days and our 35 year marriage came close to ending in a hail dishes receivers and cable

I know that feeling.

Are you sure the receiver is set to receive Astra2 ?

Astra 1 is 19.2E, Astra 2 is 28.2E so you are way off but if you are sure you have Astra 1 then you are well on course for 2.

It took me ages the first time and I even had our sky dish as a guide.

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
OP
OP
S

shortfuse

Free Member
Apr 9, 2008
Inverness
Funster No
MH
C
Exp
Many thanks Mo and Brian for the replies
Tried switching the box on and off several times without success
The reason we knew that it was Astra 1 was the signal and quality strength were great but the screen showed "no signal" and when I started moving through the other satallites on the list up popped QVC in German under Astra 1
regards sf

OP
OP
S

shortfuse

Free Member
Apr 9, 2008
Inverness
Funster No
MH
C
Exp
Hi Snowbirds
We had a printout of satallites for caravans with us plus other printouts , even had a map you set out on the ground to take readings off (what a pair we must have looked )
Next time I'll try the little satallite meter that we left at home and see if we have any more success.
If anyone reading this were camped at Dunbar C&CC last week and had a satallite dish set up and were upset by a deranged figure standing behind their dish with a compass in his hand SORRY
regards sf

S

sinbad1

Deleted User
Shortfuse

Even if you are locked onto astra 19.2 you should still receive most of the channels, there was a post a while ago where i had screen shots of both astra1 and astra2 ;but maybe in your location signals would be weaker.

Regards
ok here's the screenshots

Link Removed

Link Removed

Last edited by a moderator:

bazfergy

Free Member
Apr 20, 2009
dumfries scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
5 years
Bought a Satgear kit SK13 with a 65cm dish and just got around to trying it out last week . I read all the info I could find but still could not get a result ,:Sad:the story so far-----set it up with the dish more or less vertical ,in scotland, and pointing within a few degrees of the correct bearing and started to move it a fraction at a time, managed to get a signal strength of over 90 and a quality signal of 80
I thought this was it set up but after about an hour messing about I found this was Astra 1 and all I could get were German channels . I tried moving it round up/down but was unable to pick any other signals up . Is Astra 1 the same vertical setting as Astra 2 ? Any tips for setting a dish up . We spent about 5 hours over two days and our 35 year marriage came close to ending in a hail dishes receivers and cable
hi there if you have the sat dish pointing south east and vertical you should pick up all the channels:thumb:i have used various methods but this always works for me:winky: you can use a sat finder you get them cheap on ebay:thumb:

OP
OP
S

shortfuse

Free Member
Apr 9, 2008
Inverness
Funster No
MH
C
Exp
many thanks to all who replied, have a bit better understanding now so next time away I'll try again ( will have to be on my own as I've been promised a tripod injection in the rear if I ask a certain person for help again :Eeek:)
regards sf

bevo

Free Member
Nov 15, 2008
north west
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
astra

hi short fuse
the angle for astra 1 and 2 varies by 5 degrees from scotland down to southern england there is normally 3 degrees differance between the 2.
when we are on the continent we always use astra 1 as it's a better signal over there.
if you have a strong signal ( astra 1 or 2) try doing a complete channel scan for new channels ( i did this last week over 2,000 new channels) mostly foriegn.
then you have to go through the channels with the remote adding the english ones you want to the favourites channel.
and delete the foriegn ones already in the favourites channel.
give it a go and good luck.
this site will give you angle of attack.
put in where you are (then the sattelite)
Satellite Finder / Dish Pointing Calculator with Google Maps | DishPointer.com

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back