Challenge your parking ticket and other stuff (1 Viewer)

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
Just seen a news clip about this site. Anyone used it ?

Dodgy Link Removed

Some info below

A clever 19-year-old has invented the world's first robot lawyer for consumers, which can perform tasks as diverse as challenging car parking tickets, seeking compensation for delayed flights and helping with PPI compensation.

The robot communicates with users of the donotpay.co.uk website, set up by student entrepreneur Joshua Browder in 2015.

Browder first came up with the idea of the site after he received an abundance of parking tickets from Camden council. Discovering he had a knack for successfully challenging the tickets, he set up the site, which helped others to challenge their tickets.

The site soon took off and being unable to respond to all the emails he received, the resourceful teenager created a computer program that could talk to users, generate appeals and answer questions like a human.

Free for consumers to use 24 hours a day, the robot skills are broadening the more it communicates with users. Browder hopes that it will mean that in the future people will not have to pay expensive legal fees to challenge decisions and claim compensation.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Saw an interview with the lad a week or so ago. He is currently at Uni in America..
Comes across as a really nice personable lad and he really does have some amazing programming skills

BFM14

Free Member
Jan 24, 2015
Leicester
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2010
I watched a programme this week about one of the bigger parking companies who had people working for them that were changing the times on photos of car leaving car parks to show that the vehicle had overstayed. Not one but a number of the buggers working for this company. 30 would seem to be a reasonable number.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Hmm! So "many" of the tickets were improperly issued?
For some reason or another, apparently. There was a linked report of a woman successfully challenging a ticket because a comma was missing - i.e. she parked in the wrong place, to the inconvenience of the public in general, and got away with it. Legally correct, but "nice"? Not sure :)

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I watched a programme this week about one of the bigger parking companies who had people working for them that were changing the times on photos of car leaving car parks to show that the vehicle had overstayed. Not one but a number of the buggers working for this company. 30 would seem to be a reasonable number.
There is no excuse for the actions of those few UKPC employees (now ex-employees). However, neither is there any excuse for those people who knowingly park where they shouldn't and then use technicalities to get off because they think they are too important to face up to their responsibilities.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting

That's why I always get a receipt which shows in/out times, & keep them.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
As we London ershi (and probably elsewhere in the uk) know tickets here are a nightmare. As an example. Waltham Forest council used to gave a no right turn sign in Station Road. It was an environmental sign only operating in the mornings the sign was incorrectly placed on the wrong side of the road and obscured. If you appealed you got off. But most didn't know and paid it.. when you're up against that.. .

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
For some reason or another, apparently. There was a linked report of a woman successfully challenging a ticket because a comma was missing - i.e. she parked in the wrong place, to the inconvenience of the public in general, and got away with it. Legally correct, but "nice"? Not sure :)
I know what you are saying, honestly.
But just for balance (I am turning into the BBC :D ) I was issued a parking ticket. I had paid and displayed, the reason cited on the ticket - "improperly displayed". What this meant was, the ticket was upside down in the window! It was one of those car parks where you leave the ticket on the dashboard.
Naturally I challenged the fine, which was quashed, and I then sent a bill charging for my time, which was paid. :D

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I know what you are saying, honestly.
But just for balance (I am turning into the BBC :D ) I was issued a parking ticket. I had paid and displayed, the reason cited on the ticket - "improperly displayed". What this meant was, the ticket was upside down in the window! It was one of those car parks where you leave the ticket on the dashboard.
Naturally I challenged the fine, which was quashed, and I then sent a bill charging for my time, which was paid. :D
But the difference is that you were innocent so were perfectly right to appeal :D Too many people just don't care.

This morning, for instance, I spotted two spaces together in a shoppers car park, nice and easy to use at first glance. At second glance, though, the dumbos either side had parked right on the lines rendering both spaces unusable unless somebody parked across the two of them - and risked a ticket for doing so. I parked in another space and when I returned to the car I could only just open my hatchback because somebody had used the space behind me and the front of his car protruded over the line.

I suppose I should be grateful that nobody drove against the one way system in that car park today :D

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
I could only just open my hatchback because somebody had used the space behind me and the front of his car protruded over the line
We used to have an Isuzu king cab like this, it's a bit (!) longer than a Tesco parking space
Isuzu_Pickup_LS_2.8_Turbo_Crew_Cab_1999_(15206022566).jpg

Him Indoors tried to get it as far into a space as poss to avoid the back end being swiped by passing vehicles.
Came back to find a note under the wiper "Is your truck trying to mate with my car???" :LOL:

Reactions: GJH

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Well I got a ticket for parking on Paignton sea front when taking the Grandkids to the Cinema. I had bought a ticket for more than the time required and can remember placing it in the window. The counterfoil I carefully put in my wallet for once. We got back to the car to find it ticketed. There was no ticket displayed in the window so I had committed an offence.

I appealed the ticket admitting the offence of not displaying the ticket but sent in the counterfoil as evidence that I had bought a ticket and blamed the high winds and having to care for the Grandkids getting them out of the car etc for the ticket blowing away. I basically put myself on my knees and sought mercy.

It took them a month to write in reply and deny my appeal and to pay up. Miserable buggers! Just another good reason not to visit Torbay as most of it is not worth it any more in any event! Can't be arsed to take it any further for £25.

In the old days the tickets used to be peel-off with an adhesive back so you could stick it to your window but not now! Also my Volvo V70 D5 AWD used to have a nice plastic clip to put tickets behind but the BMW doesn't run to such a useful extravagance!

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Also my Volvo V70 D5 AWD used to have a nice plastic clip to put tickets behind but the BMW doesn't run to such a useful extravagance!
Our Skoda has one of those clips. In previous cars which didn't (and in the van) we mounted a clear tax disk holder on the window at the driver's side and slip the ticket inside that. I don't suppose those holders are obtainable any more but a similar arrangement with an alternative would work.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
These would do the job.

Broken Link Removed

Mike

Good idea - I like those. I've bought 3 packs so I can equip all the family with them. Thank you.

Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
There is no excuse for the actions of those few UKPC employees (now ex-employees). However, neither is there any excuse for those people who knowingly park where they shouldn't and then use technicalities to get off because they think they are too important to face up to their responsibilities.
I know what you mean, I've been ticketed for parking illegally, I knew I shouldn't have parked where it did, I took a chance, like I have many times in the passed but this time I lost so I paid up. No if no buts. :)

Reactions: GJH

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
Not parking as such but I took a friend to Reading Station a while back. I used my company Freelander. I had no idea that Reading has more Bus Lanes than any other City in Britain. I was also unaware that these operated 24/7. It was a very quiet early Sunday morning there were very few cars I didn't see any buses. The company got the ticket but I paid, am I whining.....no. Will I return to Reading, only on a train that is passing through at speed. :rolleyes:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Not parking as such but I took a friend to Reading Station a while back. I used my company Freelander. I had no idea that Reading has more Bus Lanes than any other City in Britain. I was also unaware that these operated 24/7. It was a very quiet early Sunday morning there were very few cars I didn't see any buses. The company got the ticket but I paid, am I whining.....no. Will I return to Reading, only on a train that is passing through at speed. :rolleyes:
I like reading - on my Kindle :D

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back