Brittany Ferries-Club Voyage-Why the difference? (1 Viewer)

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
I have posted on here before about the difference in pricing shown between the Brittany Ferries UK site and the french internet prices.

Just looked again at the french site and noticed that they offer the same kind of deal re their 'Club Voyage' ie you pay an annual fee and get a discount.

I note in the terms and conditions that you cannot apparently join the french club without being able to prove a french address.

Surely in these days on EU (and all who sail in her), such a condition would be against EU rules.

Can anyone enlighten me on this?

Reactions: f6c
OP
OP
Emmit

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
You can join without a French address http://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/club-voyage-travel-club we have been members for about 2 years saves 30% on crossings + 10% off meals on board.

Yes Steve, I am aware of the UK Club BUT, the french site consistantly has lower prices than the British site.
Therefore, if you were allowed to join the french club (and I could argue that their insistance of a french address is contrary to EU law) we would save even more money

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Anyone can join Club Voyage and get 30% off prices. For those doing the longer crossings IE Plymouth / Roscoff the savings are worthwhile. But if going Dover/Calais its hardly worth doing unless crossing many times a year .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Yes Steve, I am aware of the UK Club BUT, the french site consistantly has lower prices than the British site.
Therefore, if you were allowed to join the french club (and I could argue that their insistance of a french address is contrary to EU law) we would save even more money
Can you give an example of the difference, accepting the prices will be in different currencies?

Curiously, for a French company, I've always found it cheaper to pay in sterling for things on board, their exchange rate for these was about 1.50 which means, for example, French folk with euros would pay more. Pity you couldn't buy currency from them at the same rate!

Deleted User
Cercle Voyageur discounts are only applicable to France - UK or Ireland routes and only 10% on Irish routes.

Reactions: DBK

Deleted User
St. Malo - Portsmouth 14/4/16, 6m van Br Ferries France - €210 (£159 today), BF UK - £164.

Not a lot but depends on exchange rate obviously, equality at €1.28/£

Reactions: DBK
OP
OP
Emmit

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Anyone can join Club Voyage and get 30% off prices. For those doing the longer crossings IE Plymouth / Roscoff the savings are worthwhile. But if going Dover/Calais its hardly worth doing unless crossing many times a year .

Do Brittany Ferries do the Dover Calais route.?

OP
OP
Emmit

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Can you give an example of the difference, accepting the prices will be in different currencies?

Curiously, for a French company, I've always found it cheaper to pay in sterling for things on board, their exchange rate for these was about 1.50 which means, for example, French folk with euros would pay more. Pity you couldn't buy currency from them at the same rate!

17th March Plymouth Roscoff, UK site £175
======================FR site €225 =£169
I appreciate that @€1.33 to the £ thats not a lot but when we bought the return back to Plymouth in December they were charging the same prices and we were getting near to €1.4 to the £ and it made for a substantial saving.

OP
OP
Emmit

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Cercle Voyageur discounts are only applicable to France - UK or Ireland routes and only 10% on Irish routes.

The french club offer their club members discounts on journey's to and from France.. In doing that , they offer exactly the same discounts in terms of percentage as their British counterparts. The fact that their prices are cheaper means that you would be saving even more money if they did not put what I feel is an illegal block on non french residents.

Deleted User
BF have to price in 2 currencies for 2 markets, they have to opt for an exchange rate at some point and cannot possibly constantly review exchange rates, if the rate drops below €1.28 then it will be cheaper in sterling.

As @DBK says onboard purchases were better paid in sterling, for a long time the exchange rate used on board was €1.25/£.
" The fact that their prices are cheaper"....please see above regarding whether cheaper or not.

I can't comment on the illegality of requiring a French address but at one time Club Voyage was called the Overseas Owners Club( or something similar) and a European residence address was required to join.

I know that some airlines allow me to have a choice to pay in sterling or euros, BF do not allow this, don't know why but not all do.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Do Brittany Ferries do the Dover Calais route.?

Sorry badly worded... What I meant to say was if travelling the longer ferries like Plymouth to Roscof the savings would be appreciable .

But shorter ferries for example Dover to Calais which costs a whole lot less then spending the membership fee may not be cost effective.

mustaphapint

Free Member
Oct 9, 2015
Worcestershire and Brittany
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Just starting
I'm surprised you can join the UK voyager club without a French address. When we joined about 14 years ago you had to prove you had a holiday home in France. I'm thinking of not renewing mine this year. Even with the voyager club discount the Newhaven/Dieppe was a cheaper crossing when I booked for our trip next week. Definitely worthwhile if you travel to Spain regularly by sea but I'm no longer sure about France. I agree though that prices on the BF French website are generally cheaper than the UK equivalent. We have occasionally in the past booked from the French site although our club discount on the UK site usually means it's not worthwhile.

OP
OP
Emmit

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Sorry badly worded... What I meant to say was if travelling the longer ferries like Plymouth to Roscof the savings would be appreciable .

But shorter ferries for example Dover to Calais which costs a whole lot less then spending the membership fee may not be cost effective.

We live 15mls from the Ferry Terminal in Plymouth and a Tankful of Diesel from Dover.
We go to France (via Plymouth) on fumes and come back with a full tank.
As they say, Every little bit helps.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
We like Plymouth as a ferry port. It's the easiest port for us up here in Worcestershire as its a straight 3 hour run . Dover is just awful and even though it's cheaper it's a crap way to start and end a holiday.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back