Alko ALC as promised (1 Viewer)

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
hello to anyone interested inc @PeteH a reply from Alko Kober as you see it means strip to Germany so not sure if it's a good deal or not.This is for anExsis i698.

Eisenlauer Michaela
Sent: Broken Link Removed
Subject: RE: EN SE: Kontaktformular Unternehmensseite [#17]

ZFA Broken Link Removed

The
Good Morning Alan
Thank you for your enquiry.
We offer you as follows:
ALC incl. mounting 2.400,-€ incl. tax
The conversion takes place in our customer center in Kötz, Germany and lasts approx. 1 day.
Broken Link Removed

Please note that we have a lead time of approx.. 3 weeks (depending on season)
If you have further questions or want to make an appointment please do not hesitate to contact me.

Have a nice day!
Mit freundlichen Grüßen / kind regards

Michaela Eisenlauer
Kundencenter

ALOIS KOBER GmbH
Broken Link Removed (Kundencenter)
D-89359 Kötz

Fon Broken Link Removed

Fax Broken Link Removed

michaela.eisenlauer@al-ko.de
www.al-ko.de

Last edited:

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Firstly I would be worried about driving down shown in the video and secondly WHO drives their MH through through ballards at speed................. but joking aside not allowed to be fitted in Spain as it is a "mod" to the vehicle that was not fitted at factory.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
More expensive than air bags, assuming they could be fitted instead, but effectively fit and forget as the ride height is adjusted automatically. If you suffer from a saggy bottom they could be very convenient.

The idea has been around for some time I think for use on cars and my memory might be playing up but the early Range Rover could have had something similar.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
More expensive than air bags, assuming they could be fitted instead, but effectively fit and forget as the ride height is adjusted automatically. If you suffer from a saggy bottom they could be very convenient.

The idea has been around for some time I think for use on cars and my memory might be playing up but the early Range Rover could have had something similar.

air bags or only air assist...This looks much better

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.

We had a Montego diesel estate years ago that had self levelling shocks like that, brilliant car except for the body rusting. In fact if the body hadn't dusted away I'd probably still have it.
Totally reliable, very economical & best of all, no bloody electronics.

Shiney

Free Member
Jan 12, 2016
Northants
Funster No
MH
Bessacar E562
Exp
Got them on my current van and on my new van when it gets delivered in May.

Doesn't really make any noticeable difference in handling but it does take the firmness out of the back end caused by having a heavy duty chassis and standard rock hard alko chassis needed to carry it.

Would I pay for it? Nope.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Looks like the Nivomat system, is there a problem with simply fitting air suspension on an Alko chassis ?

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Yes it is an option when We imported our van it was new but of course already built so wasn't offered the option.

should ask how much delivered and get fitted here unless in Germany anyway. when I searched i think it was tow all offering fitting for £800 and something..sure a garage would do it cheaper

OP
OP
Speve
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
I did enquire Alko Uk did not have facilities to do it and the Towall offer is an old one so not sure if they do it they were talking £899 Iwill do a bit more investigating.

OP
OP
Speve
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Looks like the Nivomat system, is there a problem with simply fitting air suspension on an Alko chassis ?
No I don't think so I just saw this and thought I would see how it worked out as comparison Air Suspension is around £900-£1000 so it would be a cheaper option but I quite like the idea of fit an forget it no maintainence.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
No I don't think so I just saw this and thought I would see how it worked out as comparison Air Suspension is around £900-£1000 so it would be a cheaper option but I quite like the idea of fit an forget it no maintainence.

this looks like its in a different league to air assist, and a hell of a lot cheaper then full air which costs over £5k..probably not comparable but better then standard I'm sure

OP
OP
Speve
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
@Judgemental I think you're right and being as we are heading off over the channel in a couple of weeks To Spain I am considering a detour to have it done?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
lets see what @lennyhb he knows all about Hymers
Can't add much to this thread. Both Hymers we have had the rear has always sat higher than the front, even the current Exsis with Goldschmitt front springs. With my van fully loaded rear end hardly dips. I really don't see the need for self-levelling shockers on an AMC chassis, unless the heavy (4250, 4500kg) chassis is a completely different beast regarding suspension setup.

I will say on my van ride comfort and handling are superb, the longer chassis's do ride much better than the short ones, some owners have had problems with a choppy ride on the B504 which has the shortest chassis Hymer use.

The only problem I have is weight capacity with the light chassis it is limited to 2000kg and with a long overhang and the water tank behind the rear axle very easy to reach max limit, also the front end on the Exsis is fairly light which means a higher percentage of the vans weight is on the rear axle. The only way of uprating is to change the tyres and fit air assist, goalposts have now moved on air, as the Dunlop kit one of the cheapest options was about £800 in basic form (nearly twice the price of kit for Fiat chassis) is now only available with the full compressor set up at £1500. Dunlop say too many people have been running the bellows under inflated and damaging the bellows so they will now only supply it with the compressor kit. Sounds like a marketing ploy to me.

Edit:
@Speve is looking at it for his Exsis i698, that is on the same chassis as my van, so I can't see any advantage of having it.

Last edited:

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Can't add much to this thread. Both Hymers we have had the rear has always sat higher than the front, even the current Exsis with Goldschmitt front springs. With my van fully loaded rear end hardly dips. I really don't see the need for self-levelling shockers on an AMC chassis, unless the heavy (4250, 4500kg) chassis is a completely different beast regarding suspension setup.

I will say on my van ride comfort and handling are superb, the longer chassis's do ride much better than the short ones, some owners have had problems with a choppy ride on the B504 which has the shortest chassis Hymer use.

The only problem I have is weight capacity with the light chassis it is limited to 2000kg and with a long overhang and the water tank behind the rear axle very easy to reach max limit. The only way of uprating is to change the tyres and fit air assist, goalposts have now moved on air as the Dunlop kit one of the cheapest options was about £800 in basic form (nearly twice the price of kit for Fiat chassis) is now only available with the full compressor set up at £1500. Dunlop say too many people have been running the bellows under inflated and damaging the bellows so they will now only supply it with the compressor kit. Sounds like a marketing ploy to me.

So in summery you wouldn't bother?

OP
OP
Speve
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
@lennyhb I agree completely Lenny however I tow a car trailer and just feel the rear could do with being a bit higher even without it tows well and the ride is good doesn't feel bumpy at all by the way our Exsis is the 4250 kg so plenty of payload.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
@lennyhb I agree completely Lenny however I tow a car trailer and just feel the rear could do with being a bit higher even without it tows well and the ride is good doesn't feel bumpy at all by the way our Exsis is the 4250 kg so plenty of payload.
I forgot yours was 4250, from all the comments I have heard the heavy chassis is a lot stiffer than the light one. Obviously a towbar adds 50-80kgs to the weight behind the axle plus the trailer noseweight.
What is the noseweight of your trailer?

OP
OP
Speve
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
I forgot yours was 4250, from all the comments I have heard the heavy chassis is a lot stiffer than the light one. Obviously a towbar adds 50-80kgs to the weight behind the axle plus the trailer noseweight.
What is the noseweight of your trailer?
65kg so not to bad but when the garage is loaded for a long trip and the Gas bottles are full there's quite a load on the rear we were around 2300kg on the back and totalled 4000kg in full trim with trailer hitched GTW 5500 so not far from max capacity of 6000kg
I have to say with the 2.3 150 euro5 engine pulls really well and plenty of power even on steeper hills. Just feel the back end could do with a bit of a lift.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I take it your rear axle limit is 2400kg, if so with 65kg on the towball you are probably on or maybe over the limit. Looks like air would be the way to go.

OP
OP
Speve
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
I take it your rear axle limit is 2400kg, if so with 65kg on the towball you are probably on or maybe over the limit. Looks like air would be the way to go.
Yes 2400kg we were 40kg under max so riding a bit close to the wind however after weighbridge was able to move some kit forward to give us a bit more leeway, bearing in mind we loaded for a four month trip (which we haven't started yet as had a bereavement the week we were due to leave) so will only be a three month trip now and a bit lighter.
Am seriously considering ALC as it's virtually maintenance free and will do the job we need keeping rear end up.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back