Does the EHU override the 12v in the front? (1 Viewer)

wavester

Free Member
Mar 2, 2008
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
C Class
Just packing up for a trip to The Tour de France and Languedoc. When i am hooked up to the mains, does that override the 12v in the cab ie cigarette lighter as i want to power a 12v cool box from there?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
normally the dashboard fag lighter socket will be powered from the engine battery, normally independant of the ingnition switch...ie..on all the time,
and independant of the hookup.

if you mean connecting the coolbox to the dash socket when you arent running the engine then dont do it....12v coolboxs take a lot of power and the engine battery will be flat in a very short time:Sad:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Not normally if its the cab factory fitted one
Theres only one way to find out:RollEyes:
Geo

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Venita

Free Member
Jul 6, 2009
Co. Durham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
12v

I think you will find that your 12v in the cab will only work when the engine is running. It wont be over-ridden by the hook up. Have fun

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
You can by a 240 volt to 12 volt rectifier that will allow you to keep the box cool.

see here>>>>> Link Removed <<<<

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I think you will find that your 12v in the cab will only work when the engine is running. It wont be over-ridden by the hook up. Have fun

got to dis-agree there.:RollEyes:
the majority will have been altered by the m/h converter to be 'on' all the time. ie...bypassed the ignition switch.
and yes....ehu will have no effect.

Venita

Free Member
Jul 6, 2009
Co. Durham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
12v

I think it depends on the type of motorhome. Ours doesnt work when the engine is off as I have tried it.

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi,

My 2005 Bessacarr both the cigar type sockets in the cab area are off when the ignition is off and if you turn the ignition on to power the sockets then that will disable the habitation area power and pull the step in if you have it out. hope that helps

OP
OP
wavester

wavester

Free Member
Mar 2, 2008
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
C Class
thanks for all the replies. i wanted to use it at the front where its out of the way, but sounds like it will "muller" the engine battery pretty quick if it works at all, so better have a rethink.:Doh:

don

Free Member
Apr 27, 2008
hingham
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
13 years
Ive had 3 different make M/Hs and on all the lighter was dead when engine is turned off, almost sure the majority are like this.
Its east enough to fit a new cigerette lighter or 12v socket and wire to your leasure battery,
also very cheap.
Cheers
Don

Spacerunner

Free Member
Apr 7, 2008
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
depends who does the conversion i suppose.

had 2 swifts and a CI and all had live cigar socket when ign off:winky:

Looks like you're in a minority of one!

Why anyone would want to use a cab 12 volt socket to power a fridge and flatten their starter battery is beyond belief.

Any converter who would leave a cab 12 volt socket live is, IMO, acting irresponsibly.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Looks like you're in a minority of one!

Why anyone would want to use a cab 12 volt socket to power a fridge and flatten their starter battery is beyond belief.

Any converter who would leave a cab 12 volt socket live is, IMO, acting irresponsibly.

tell Swift that!!!!:RollEyes:

very useful when i used my navman.
no internal batteries and reset to 'new route' everytime it was unplugged and re-plugged.
real pain if you stopped for fuel etc and had to re-enter ALL the details again.
also, as its the only cigar socket in the van it does nicely as a phone/torch charger socket when on site.

Last edited:

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.
normally the dashboard fag lighter socket will be powered from the engine battery, normally independant of the ingnition switch...ie..on all the time,
and independant of the hookup.

if you mean connecting the coolbox to the dash socket when you arent running the engine then dont do it....12v coolboxs take a lot of power and the engine battery will be flat in a very short time:Sad:

:whatthe:I had always thought the Autosleeper we had charged the vehicle battery as well when on hook-up, through the split charger (whatever that is :Blush:).

Guess I was wrong, but thankfully never suffered any mishaps with it.:Cool:

John

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years
My Burstner- Elektroblock 99, charges hab + cab on EHU. Cig lighter is live all the time, irresponsible? Can't think why, useful? Very. :winky:

I can also use the hab 12v when the vehicle is running, irresponsible? Useful ? It certainly suits me and if I couldn't do either then I'd be looking to change it so I could.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back