Seen this Kayak no laughing please, any good? (1 Viewer)

Deleted User
We were pottering around in go outdoors in York today, killing time before hospital appointment and spotted this

Dodgy Link Removed

We realise all the serious Kayakers will probably be falling around laughing, but it packs away tiny which is great for our small pvc (although all the paddles seemed huge, are there such things as compact ones?)
And thinking it might be good fun for us whilst the dogs are having a swim, to have something for us to play in.

Will it be a total waste of money or might it actually allow us a few months of fun?

Lin :)

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
York, you were in the right place to buy something that floats sadly. :(

OP
OP

Deleted User
York, you were in the right place to buy something that floats sadly. :(
River is down now, Rowntree Park still closed though so it was a quick trip over :(

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
I was bought one for my 60th as we live by the sea. I found it very difficult to manoeuvre and was advised to fit a "Skeg" (a kind of rear keel) and it transformed it. However, I find that the inflatable seats are next to useless. They give you no support whatsoever. If you are fit and have good stomach muscles you should be ok. The other thing is I find it difficult to get it into the 'rucksack' position.

OP
OP

Deleted User
I was bought one for my 60th as we live by the sea. I found it very difficult to manoeuvre and was advised to fit a "Skeg" (a kind of rear keel) and it transformed it. However, I find that the inflatable seats are next to useless. They give you no support whatsoever. If you are fit and have good stomach muscles you should be ok. The other thing is I find it difficult to get it into the 'rucksack' position.
Thanks for the info, we would use in the sea if get one :)

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
We bought one from our 'action man' neighbour a few years ago. They are hard to paddle, unweildy to carry around, very easily blown around in the wind and affected by waves (sea!). Also you get what you pay for ................ :eek:

Save the money and buy something 'proper' would be my thoughts (IMHO of course) :D

OP
OP

Deleted User
We bought one from our 'action man' neighbour a few years ago. They are hard to paddle, unweildy to carry around, very easily blown around in the wind and affected by waves (sea!). Also you get what you pay for ................ :eek:

Save the money and buy something 'proper' would be my thoughts (IMHO of course) :D
Um it's the size that's attractive, the other boxes were twice the size :(. Might have to stick with swimming/snorkeling.

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588
Thanks for the info, we would use in the sea if get one :)
Just a word of caution, inflatable kayaks and the sea are not the best mix in all but the lightest of winds.

Price wise for a bit of a splash around it will provide a bit of fun in the right environment - a small lake or slow river.

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Um it's the size that's attractive, the other boxes were twice the size :(. Might have to stick with swimming/snorkeling.

They do sound great in principle ................ but I suspect you knew the answer as you posted :confused: I do that all the time :eek:

OP
OP

Deleted User
Just a word of caution, inflatable kayaks and the sea are not the best mix in all but the lightest of winds.

Price wise for a bit of a splash around it will provide a bit of fun in the right environment - a small lake or slow river.
It is just for fun, when it's calm and no wind, the dogs love the sea, but when it's a bit cold, not as much fun for us :)

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
I have a Sevylor Colorado (higher up the range) and would be VERY wary about taking it to sea.

Some people do (see youtube) but it's not for me... they're good on lakes and gentle rivers and do pack into the bag very well (y)

OP
OP

Deleted User
They do sound great in principle ................ but I suspect you knew the answer as you posted :confused: I do that all the time :eek:
Yeah yr right, it's my birthday in a couple of weeks...can probably do better. :)

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
We were pottering around in go outdoors in York today, killing time before hospital appointment and spotted this

Dodgy Link Removed

We realise all the serious Kayakers will probably be falling around laughing, but it packs away tiny which is great for our small pvc (although all the paddles seemed huge, are there such things as compact ones?)
And thinking it might be good fun for us whilst the dogs are having a swim, to have something for us to play in.

Will it be a total waste of money or might it actually allow us a few months of fun?

Lin :)

For the price, they're a cracking piece of kit, especially used from a motorhome/caravan where space is at a premium.
We've had a Stearns BackCountry (no longer made) for years now and it goes everywhere, including the sea.
We have two self inflating life jackets which although not cheap at nearly £100 each are a MUST, even for a strong swimmer like me.
Agree with comments re lack of support from inflatable seats so use these.......
Dodgy Link Removed
........and it makes a vast difference (used on top of inflated seat).
We've loaded ours with the tent + cooking equip and been away overnight before now. English canals, Scottish Lochs, the Med, you name it.
It's wonderful for SWMBO as she can share in one of my activities in which she can keep up. It's peaceful, relaxing and perfectly safe when common sense is applied.
This forum.............. http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/forum/ is an excellent source of info with very helpful members.
Broken Link Removed
In the Med, last week, off Aguilas. 5 mins later, we had a dolphin at the side of the canoe..............which was wonderful once we realised it wasn't Jaws!

Attachments

• P1030801.JPG
    P1030801.JPG
    165.8 KB · Views: 35

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Sevylor boats are made in a cordura type material with plastic bladders for inflation. They are buggers to dry properly.
We sold ours and bought a Gumotex. It is made in a more durable and easier to dry PVC material similar to inshore lifeboats.
A quick wipe with a towel and it stores in its own dry bag with rucksack straps for ease of portability.

You'll need another 400 quid though!

Aug 4, 2013
Oop North
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
We have a 420 sea eagle explorer with a skeg, took skeg off thinking we might damage it on a shallow stretch in the dordogne Kayak went crazy, put it back on again quickly, you have very poor control and stability without one. You need a few more quid for the sea eagle too.

OP
OP

Deleted User
Hi
My son inlaw does Kayaking from what he has talked about in the past he talked about sea kayaks and river one's so I don't know but the later may not be suitable on the sea. Pete
Thanks, kayak might be out anyway.

Had to buy a new vacuum cleaner couple days ago £150!!!! What a trauma, the new ones are very low wattage, no good with 3 dogs. Had to get one with a bag, a bleeding bag, it's still sitting in our spare room unopened. Nige has glued the old one in the hope the back will stop flying off and we can keep using it as it 2000w, new one is only 1400 and its ugly!!! Definitely going back to Curry's tomorrow.
Lin :(

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years

Had to buy a new vacuum cleaner couple days ago £150!!!! What a trauma, the new ones are very low wattage, no good with 3 dogs. Had to get one with a bag, a bleeding bag, it's still sitting in our spare room unopened. Nige has glued the old one in the hope the back will stop flying off and we can keep using it as it 2000w, new one is only 1400 and its ugly!!! Definitely going back to Curry's tomorrow.

Just has an add on I quoted your post on the above. do you remember Orwell's Big Brother 1984. well when I signed off MHF .I went on FB and low and be hold there in the side bar was the same Kayak same colour and same price all very clever stuff this tinternet. Pete

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User

What vacuum did you buy ?
Our Miele is a 'bagged' cleaner, around 1400w and around £150.... have you bought the same ?
gotta say, it's amazing, wouldn't swap it for anything... and so quiet too. The only downside is purchasing bags, worth the expense though - you might be pleasantly surprised !

OP
OP

Deleted User
What vacuum did you buy ?
Our Miele is a 'bagged' cleaner, around 1400w and around £150.... have you bought the same ?
gotta say, it's amazing, wouldn't swap it for anything... and so quiet too. The only downside is purchasing bags, worth the expense though - you might be pleasantly surprised !
Yes I think we have, and to be honest my friend also has one, she raved about it.
It's the bags though, not sure about them, how often do you have to swap them? My mate doesn't have dogs so can't comment on suitability :(
We get a full cylinder with our bag less vac every day, mostly dog hairs. And I can hover a meter away from potential fur balls under furniture as they come flying out like tumble weeds, (which is sadly very entertaining and deeply satisfying :D).
Very reluctant to try the new one :(

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
Yes I think we have, and to be honest my friend also has one, she raved about it.
It's the bags though, not sure about them, how often do you have to swap them? My mate doesn't have dogs so can't comment on suitability :(
We get a full cylinder with our bag less vac every day, mostly dog hairs. And I can hover a meter away from potential fur balls under furniture as they come flying out like tumble weeds, (which is sadly very entertaining and deeply satisfying :D).
Very reluctant to try the new one :(
We go through bags very slowly, maybe one every six weeks ? Although we don't have pets (have kids) and mostly have wooden floors (still vacuumed).
For warranty purposes Miele insist on genuine bags, we just buy cheap ones from espares.co.uk or Ebay - think we pay around 80p per bag.
When we did have a problem (cable not retracting) we just popped a genuine bag in before the service visit (y)
1400w is plenty, lack of suction will never be a problem.
But as you say, if you're emptying once a day maybe bagged isn't for you....

OP
OP

Deleted User
We go through bags very slowly, maybe one every six weeks ? Although we don't have pets (have kids) and mostly have wooden floors (still vacuumed).
For warranty purposes Miele insist on genuine bags, we just buy cheap ones from espares.co.uk or Ebay - think we pay around 80p per bag.
When we did have a problem (cable not retracting) we just popped a genuine bag in before the service visit (y)
1400w is plenty, lack of suction will never be a problem.
But as you say, if you're emptying once a day maybe bagged isn't for you....
Thanks don't have carpets either. Nige has fixed the vax he has glued the rear filter in place, so have decided the new one is going back, but good to know about them, eventually will have to bite the bullet, but will see how much longer we get from our old one. Now we know the Miele are a viable alternative for the future. :)

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning

Dodgy Link Removed

Couple a rolls of Duct Tape, a packet of cable ties and these sweet babies, and your paddle woes are made redundant (y)

HondaMarineAllNewBF250Outboard2.jpg

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
We had one many years ago as a "fun" boat. They do not go in a straight line unless you have a skeg. They catch the wind and do not really have the carry capacity for two adults (payload 155kg). Do not use in any sort of bad weather and NOT on the sea - with an offshore wind you will be a mile out before you know it and no way back.

On a pond / very small lake, grade 1 river you would have fun!!! You may also get the bug and end up buying a better kayak.

You can get folding or "split" paddles but they would cost more than the kayak.

Last edited:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I'd say pay a little be more and go for a Gumotex - can't beat them for ease of drying out after use!

Some info on the below threads regarding inflatable canoes/kayaks:

http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/kayaks.120991/#post-1668157

Broken Link Removed

http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum...suitable-for-space-limited-motorhomers.87653/

http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/cmon-all-ye-paddlers.84392/

http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/canal-lake-or.22565/#post-273545

As for paddles - go for a split shaft type which goes into 2 pieces for easy storage - whilst there are some that split into 3 or even 4 sections I'd avoid these as the joints obviously add weight and also mean they are a bit less rigid in use - if the 2 piece ones are too long they can be easily cut down to size which is what I did with ours.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back