Tincataylor

Free Member
Jul 9, 2012
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Never leave a campsite with your clothes line tied to a lamp post.
We would be interested to know other peoples definition of wild camping as it all seems a bit vague from our observations. For us wild camping is being completely alone in a place of some natural beauty and being totally dependant on the vans ability to support the stay from a heating, lighting, cooking perspective. We find this difficult in England (with the exception of our beloved Dartmoor) but it was wonderfully easy in Scotland. For others we have met it seems their definition is any camp where you do not have to pay for anything. This got us thinking about the following situations and whether other Funsters would consider it a wild camping situation or not:-
a) Camping overnight in a pub car park but without any other facilities being provided.
b) Camping, with others, on a piece of waste ground providing no facilities close to a town.
c) Camping with others on a free Camperstop or Aire providing water and chemical dump.

The Tincas

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
My definition of wild camping is avoiding campsites, Aires or any other 'official' site, instead parking somewhere alone, or with others where camping is not approved

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

snowdrops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
For us, wild camping is where we are completely self-sufficient in relation to water, heat, gas etc, in a place of loveliness/interest. Whether that's a car par nr a beach or lake or forest, a layby or a piece of waste ground.

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
My idea of wild camping is a tent on the top of a mountain . What most of us do is near enough the same as being at home. Proper bed, full kitchen, toilet, shower, electric light and central heating if required. Nah that's not camping. Home from home is what it is.

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
My idea of wild camping is a tent on the top of a mountain . What most of us do is near enough the same as being at home. Proper bed, full kitchen, toilet, shower, electric light and central heating if required. Nah that's not camping. Home from home is what it is.

Yes. Well, I won't be wild camping then.....Ever! Brrrrr.

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
I agree with all that has been said before me (y)

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Broken Link Removed
EDIT [this isn't me or Him Indoors - our (very similar) wilding photos are on the desktop PC not the one I'm working on - but it was the easiest way of describing MY definition of wild camping!]

Last edited:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
In the UK there is only one definition of Wild Camping - the one enshrined in the Scottish Outdoor Access Code (set up as a requirement of the Land Reform (Scotland) Act 2003). The Scottish Outdoor Access Code gives the following advice regarding wild camping: “Wild camping is defined as lightweight, done in small numbers and only for two to three nights in one place. You can camp in this way wherever access rights apply but help to avoid causing problems for local people and land managers by not camping in enclosed fields of crops or farm animals and keeping well away from buildings roads or historic structures. Take care to avoid disturbing deer stalking or grouse shooting. If you wish to camp close to a house or building, seek the owner’s permission. Leave no trace by: Taking away all your litter; Removing all traces of your tent pitch and of any open fire (follow the guidance for lighting fires); Not causing any pollution.”

Thus, camping in a motorhome is not wild camping. Anything other than as defined by the SOAC is Off Site Camping.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I'm with @CWH that's me on the right, 1976 I think. 7,800 feet with the Vignamale (Pyrenees) in the background. The next day we went up the lower Petit Vignamale, well, OK, we got to within ten feet of the summit but chickened out the last bit as it was a narrow ridge with a massive drop either side! But we did see our first Wall Creeper (high altitude bird with red wings) on the way down and God knows what I have on my head. The tents my old Vango Force 10 which I only disposed of recently. Note twee matching down waistcoats my brother and I are wearing and the genuine plus four trousers! I also need to remove the dust from this scanned slide shot too at some time. :unsure:

Anyway, that's my definition of wild camping and anything done in a MH with the same name needs to be a bit like this. :)

7 Nr Baysellance Hut 7800ft.JPG

And while I'm at it here is another look at a very youthful me on the same trip, this time at lower altitudes.

27 Fanlo area.JPG

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
We would be interested to know other peoples definition of wild camping as it all seems a bit vague from our observations. For us wild camping is being completely alone in a place of some natural beauty and being totally dependant on the vans ability to support the stay from a heating, lighting, cooking perspective. We find this difficult in England (with the exception of our beloved Dartmoor) but it was wonderfully easy in Scotland. For others we have met it seems their definition is any camp where you do not have to pay for anything. This got us thinking about the following situations and whether other Funsters would consider it a wild camping situation or not:-
a) Camping overnight in a pub car park but without any other facilities being provided.
b) Camping, with others, on a piece of waste ground providing no facilities close to a town.
c) Camping with others on a free Camperstop or Aire providing water and chemical dump.

The Tincas
a, b & c are mild glamping, albeit depending on the level of gin palace you operate :cool:;)

Last edited:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
OK, twist my arm - here it is, the shot of my brother and I at the top of the Petit Vignamale. The fashion police wouldn't let us near the mountains these days! Me on the right if you must know. I joined the Army a few weeks later - hence the haircut!

9 LAL & RJL Petit Vignemale.JPG

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
This is a picture of Ralph , when we were courting , wild camping :wink:!
In a tiny 1 man tent:blush: , always room for a tinny or two.....
image.jpeg

This is how we wild camp now. Beaches.
image.jpeg

Pub car parks ,
image.jpeg

Off the beaten track.
image.jpeg

But with all the comforts of home.

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
Looks a little like the Mull of Galloway to me, very pretty wherever it is.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Anywhere I can stop that does not involve paying an organisation ,in order to pay them some moreto stop somewhere i e CC andCCC etc
I do not want to line up in a place and do exactly what ever I am told to do, and keep here or not there, and certainly not with a load of screaming kids running around. That is why I bought A MH and not a tinbox to go behind a car to go with the other tinboxes.

OP
OP
Tincataylor

Tincataylor

Free Member
Jul 9, 2012
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Never leave a campsite with your clothes line tied to a lamp post.
Thanks for all the replies and the votes are now being counted. The phone lines are now closed so your vote will no longer count. I now have the result in my hand and the result is...................(there now follows 30 seconds of a repetitive drum beat to try and rack up the tension).........................wild camping is anything YOU want it to be (y)

The Tincas

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back