Forward planning Sicily -- Puzzled (1 Viewer)

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I was thinking of Sicily next year so stage one, how much are ferries? To my amazement I've not found a ferry that just hops across the narrow straight.

Is it secret ? Or don't they do that ?

Shortest seemed to be Naples, 4 hours when I was expecting 10 minutes for 17s 6d.

So what's the form ?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi

Google maps show four ferries across the narrow straight ..

Found this info

Villa San Giovanni (Reggio Calabria) / Messina

Ferries leave Villa San Giovanni in Reggio Calabria to Messina every 20 minutes. The crossing takes 20 minutes. For information and bookings see Caronte, or call +39 0965 751413.

Link Removed

http://www.frommers.com/destinations/messina/3208010002.html

hth

Jim

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Villa San Giovanni (Reggio Calabria) / Messina

Ferries leave Villa San Giovanni in Reggio Calabria to Messina every 20 minutes. The crossing takes 20 minutes. For information and bookings see Caronte, or call +39 0965 751413.

but due to inflation and the rising cost of fuel the price is no longer 17s 6d:Doh::ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

superk

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Devon
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion now sold
Exp
8 years
No need to book just turn up - very frequent service.

Note they leave from Villa San Giovanni.

Sicily - wonderful to visit - an Island of contrasts - do get away from the coast.

:Smile:
Keith

superk

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Devon
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion now sold
Exp
8 years
Hi Brian it's me again:

Before I forget here's some info I provided on another forum - you might find it useful:

OK here we go - a few ideas:

When you come off the ferry you can turn right and go along the north coast or south and along the east coast towards Catania. There are motorways in both directions and it might be advisable to take the motorway at first. Just have to thread your way through town first - it's busy but doable.

We went south but the nicest campsite is Rais Gerbi on the north coast at Finale near Cefalu - its on the right as you leave in a westerly direction N38.02225 E14.15489 say hello to Rosalba.

If you go south to Catania then Camping Jonio is most peoples choice it's north of Catania N37.53277 E15.11951 and can be expensive for short stays if you don't belong to ASCI. You can bus into Catania.

If you want to break the journey before Catania then stop at Camping La Focetta Sicula at Alessio Siculo N37.93104 E15.35612.

Inbetween the two Taormina is worth visiting if you can park - they don't ley MHs park at the top - we know of people who overnighted in the car park of the funiculare and on the coast.

For Etna - you can go up by 4x4 or cable car (personal preference 4x4) - quite expensive and overnight in the Refugio Sapienza car park - make sure your heating is working! This is where you can ascend from.

If you want a campsite Camping Etna at Nicolosi N37.62262 E15.00869 is about half way up to the Refugio.

I recommend visiting Siracusa and there is a Sosta right in the centre of town with all facilities and easy road access and short walk to the Archeological sites, museum and somewhat further to Ortygia - but worth it. Parcheggio Von Platen, Via Augusto Von Platen N37.07674 E15.28735

From Siracusa you can get to Noto (The Golden City) by train and its worth it. Otherwise drive there and look for Noto Parking - its signposted from most directions but is small although I'm sure Michele or one of his sisters will help you park. It has electric and a new but one/two person toilet block, good dump and outside showere BRRR!
It's in a lemon grove -when you arrive it will be closed just telephone (328 8065260 380 5058898 320 9778979 340 7058151) the number is by the gate or hang around - word seems to get to them somehow. One of the family will drive you to town and pick you up again. Say hello to Michele for me. N36.88369 E15.08525

On the South East coast a lot of folks (mainly German/Swiss) with large vans aim for Punta Broccetto N36.81742 E14.46661 (sorry can't remember the name of the site) - its the neatest cleanest site you'll find (own toilet facilities) but without transport that's it - a beachside site little else in easy reach.

Agrigento - worth a visit for the ruins - camping Vallei dei Templei should be easy for you N37.26963 E13.58306

Secca Grande and Camping Kameni N37.43843 E13.24530 will have room for you amongst there small number of pitches but its only good for an overnighter.

Marinella-Selinunte - we thought the remains here better than Agrigento - there's a road behind the car park where we wild camped along with a Swiss couple - police came by never bothered it's a very quiet village out os season N37.58299 E12.83525

There's a nice site at Petrosina - take the coast road - camping Biscione N37.70127 E12.47794 - we were the only ones on it for Christmas - they gave us the keys - phone if you need anything. Nice family - there's one restaurant in the village - good place to relax.

Do try and run up the West coast to Trapani - Marsala worth a visit -we wild camped along here if you want just one spot to wild camp try the car park next to the little ferry that goes to Mothia Island - there's a couple - we used this one N37.85604 E12.47731 This is the most Arabic area of Sicily with salt pans etc.

From Trapani don't miss Erice - fantastic views - steep climb up but motorhome parking below town.

San Vito lo Capo worth a visit - lovely pensinsula - you can camp at a Sosta its on the right before you get to town N38.16212 E12.73665 don't be tempted to use one of the campsites - they are very dark in winter with lots of trees for summer shade.

The Zingaro National Park is a wonderful place you can approach from San Vito - we wild camped at the entrance - N38.12523 E12.78778 magical wild coastline or from the south near Scopello it's a narrow road but pretty with the tuns fisheries - I saw a big Hymer doing it - the village is worth a visit but only approach from the south.

For Palermo you can either camp at Camping Degi Ulivi, Via Pegaso N38.19824 E13.28051 that has trains into Palermo or, if you are brave (and we were) try Green Parking N38.10962 E13.34253 in Palermo itself - you're right in the middle of town and can walk everywhere its a sosta with electric, water dump and a single shower but has 24-hour security - we thought it excellent whereas the train journey can be a bit wearisome if you've been walking round all day. All the guidebooks say don't drive in Palermo - by the time you've driven through Italy and round Sicily it's not so bad - maybe do it on a Sunday?
Palermo kept us entertained for five days. Loads to see and if you are adventurous get off the main streets into the back alleys and see the real life. Heady mix of elegant shops, decaying palaces, amazing churches interesting people. We went everywhere and had no problems just warm welcomes.

And so your back to Cefalu (don't miss) and the Rais Gerbi camp at Finale.

I've missed a great deal of our tour out - Piazza Armerina amazing Roman Mosaics, Corleone - 193 Mafia murders, etc etc but you need to make your own discoveries. Sicily has a lot to offer - hugely varied - try and get into the inland mountains. If your there in February go to Acireale for Carnivale it's beyond description!!

Can't do anymore - it will all be in my next book!!

Have a great trip - let me know how you get on.

icon_smile.gif

Keith</SPAN>

OP
OP
hilldweller

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Have a great trip - let me know how you get on.
Keith

Oh that's more like it. It is doable then. I'm only day dreaming ATM, we'd be going for it about April.

What I would like to do is tempt the crowd we went to Morocco this April to join in ( and any other Funsters ), probably won't happen but I'll put the feelers out.

The logic behind this:

Morocco - BTDTGTT, I think the magic would be gone second time.
Spain - done it a few times, but never fallen in love with it.
France - done it a lot of times, a bit too familiar now.
Germany - done it a few times.
Switzerland - spectacular. Small.
Italy - will love it always - never been below Sorento - so, keep going.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
You'd better make sure the ferries are proper ones and not toys, if your going to tempt some of those 10 Ton Funstermobiles across with you:whatthe:
Ive coined a new phrase Funstermobiles::bigsmile: I like it:thumb:I like it a lot:thumb::thumb:
Geo

Phil

Free Member
Oct 21, 2007
Herts
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
10 years
We went over in March on the Caronte Tourist and it was €64 ( £58.95 ) for the 60 day return. It has certainly gone up dramatically in recent years. The first time we went it was €33 when the exchange rate was around 1.6. Still worth it though, it's a beautiful island ( the largest in the mediterranean BTW ) so many places to see, and lots of Greek Temples, Roman remains and wonderful beaches. And for good measure there is Mount Etna, usually smoking and fairly often erupting.

Phil.

OP
OP
hilldweller

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
We went over in March on the Caronte Tourist and it was €64 Still worth it though, it's a beautiful island
Phil.

Thanks Phill ( and superk, I forgot the thanks for the long reply ).

This is looking like a_good_plan.

Kiwi Coss

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
New Zealand
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Have read your information on Sicily sights and camping locations. What great information. Will try and follow in your footsteps. Thanks for sharing the info. Colin and Christina. Kiwi Coss

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Holy dead threads resurrection Batman! But more to the point did HD ever get to Sicily? Is Etna the hill he now lives on? The World must know.

OP
OP
hilldweller

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
No. I got 100% rejection from the crowd we went to Morocco with even though we had a good time together.

Then 2010 turned into The Italian Job which got as far down as Florence.

I think Sicily is a bit too far now. Back in those days I was one who equated distance with "good". I've mellowed.

Reactions: DBK

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Holy dead threads resurrection Batman! But more to the point did HD ever get to Sicily? Is Etna the hill he now lives on? The World must know.

Ah but not all is lost batman because I do believe Kiwi Coss is either on the way to Sisley or there now, so good recycled information there.
Colin & Christine let us know how you get on sounds good.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
...so good recycled information there.
Colin & Christine let us know how you get on sounds good.
It is indeed, Keith's potted description should be in the Too Good to Lose section, but an update from anyone there this year would be great.

flatpackchicken

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2010
BICESTER OXFORDSHIRE
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I8000
Exp
Since nov 2009
I was thinking of Sicily next year so stage one, how much are ferries? To my amazement I've not found a ferry that just hops across the narrow straight.

Is it secret ? Or don't they do that ?

Shortest seemed to be Naples, 4 hours when I was expecting 10 minutes for 17s 6d.

So what's the form ?

You can get a ferry from Genoa direct to Palermo 21 hr crossing for about same cost as driving down and the ferry cost over to Sicily,
http://www.gnv.it/en/ferries-destinations/genoa-ferries-liguria.html
Regards Garry Flatpackchicken

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
or sleeping with them, can't remember which it is JJ.....time to dig the movie out (y)

Oct 12, 2011
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
Since 2011 therefore I'm not a newbie anymore
We had three weeks around the Island last Spring. It's a fantastic place.
I agree with Superk's itinary but would say Piazza Armania Villa is a MUST - but go early as it gets very busy.

Just remember Sicily is a cash economy. We had three petrol stations not accept credit card and a number of petrol stations had run out of diesel ( it was national elections which does spark strikes so that could have been it or even cash flow!)

If you are doing a long crossing, we did Genoa- Palermo, buy your cabin when you book your ticket, it's cheaper that way. Also it seems that the boats based out of Genoa take credit cards €156 for a cabin going out, but the boats out of Palermo only take cash €179, which left us €20 for a 24hr boat ride!

But you will have a fantastic time, take your time and enjoy it!

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
You are right about "sleeping"...

Sorry.

But the joke still works a little... ;)

Of course should you sleep with the wrong Sicilian lady I fear you might find yourself also sleeping with the fishes in due course.

JJ :cool:

Kiwi Coss

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
New Zealand
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Had a great time there and saw heaps but still not all or even remotely enough but due to time restraints had to see and leave. Re ferry just went to terminal and joined the queue. Ticket €56 one way as not sure if you could get an open return. Italian ticket issuer not speak English and lots of impatient Italians behind me hurrying me along. Initially hard to find wild camping but once we got away from tourist sites was easier. Now making our way to Bari to catch ferry to Greece.

SandT

Free Member
Oct 15, 2012
Malta
Funster No
MH
Safari Trek
Exp
There is also the option of "camping on board" service from Naples to Catania. Its a 12 hour ( night) crossing leaves at 19:30 and you can sleep in your camper on the open deck area. Its run by TTT Lines and you have to email to book.

Broken Link Removed

Terry

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back