Go To Last Post button (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
May I suggest that the 'Go To Last Post' button is removed.. or disabled..

This would stop people who are too lazy to read the original post then go off topic or repeat information already provided in the first few posts..

For those who have already posted or read, the 'Go To First New Post' button is available.

what do others think ?

Jim

Last edited:

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
I agree that it is frustrating when somebody comes in at the tail end of a conversation with a question that was posted and answered on the first page (for example) but what I find even more frustrating is when the same subject comes back every couple of months - (driving licences, A Frames etc., etc., etc.)

I would like to see every post put through a 'grilling' to see if it has already been posted and answered previously. :Eeek:

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
I agree that it is frustrating when somebody comes in at the tail end of a conversation with a question that was posted and answered on the first page (for example) but what I find even more frustrating is when the same subject comes back every couple of months - (driving licences, A Frames etc., etc., etc.)

I would like to see every post put through a 'grilling' to see if it has already been posted and answered previously. :Eeek:

Sounds like a great idea.

Or an auto search function in the forum that looks for related threads and posts the associated links automatically when the question is posted using keywords. Is that possible or would it throw up too many unrelated threads? Would have to eliminate all the normally used words like and, the, it, etc?

Sorry Jim...Back on topic...I never use the Last Post button.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
S

sinbad1

Deleted User
I agree these issues can be annoying

I don't personally think removing the last button is going to make any diference to those lazy posters or the one's that go off topic, something that happens on most forums.

A lot of topic's are repeated, again some are too lazy to use the search facility.A lot of these are from newbie's perhaps unaware of the search function. I have no problem answering the problem to newbie's, afterall we all asked these questions when we first started motorhoming.

I think it would be a good idea to remove the view post options, where you can edit to see the latest post first, i would suspect many have it set this way?

Regards

Last edited by a moderator:

Tony Lee

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Funster No
what I find even more frustrating is when the same subject comes back every couple of months - (driving licences, A Frames etc., etc., etc.)

Since you have raised the subject - we all have our little likes and dislikes. For instance, I detest elaborate signatures with trite sayings that I have seen used many times before. Signatures with TWO trite sayings are just the pits. I also dislike overuse, or in fact even any use, of silly emoticons that people use in place of the English language. Why some of the ones available are still there is nothing more than a demonstration of bad taste regardless of whether they are used or not. Normally I wouldn't comment because it is a feature of the forum that people are entitled to use regardless of its usefulness - but as I said, since we are having a whinge ...

BUT I certainly have no objection to newcomers asking the same questions that many of the 'oldies' asked when they joined their first RV forum. Isn't that what a forum is for - to let newcomers hear the words of wisdom from those who have already made all of the same mistakes themselves. Everyone feels that their problem is unique to them and it is also probably unique to many others as well, so in the interests of their education AND as often as not, MY education, I have no problems with trying to help them enjoy their chosen lifestyle. If some members find them so tiresome, I'm surprised they still hang around because the majority of posts must drive them barmy.

Last edited:
OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I agree these issues can be annoying

I don't personally think removing the last button is going to make any differene to those lazy posters or the one's that go off topic, something that happens on most forums.

Your right, it won't stop off topic in the post but it will stop the lazy ones from jumping in with both feet without at least reading the OP ..

What useful purpose does the Last Post button serve ? It's like opening a book, reading the last page then giving an opinion .. :Doh:

As far as repeat questions are can concerned at least we have the option to ignore.. but there is nothing more annoying than a poster who jumps in with both feet and posts a whole page of unrelated drivel .. or repeats what has already been said several times..

I think the forum is getting too big for self moderation, yes, I know the pitfalls of having mods, but Jim and Bryan can't be expected to read every thread..

Last edited:
S

sinbad1

Deleted User
What useful purpose does the Last Post button serve ? It's like opening a book, reading the last page then giving an opinion .. :Doh:

As far as repeat questions are can concerned at least we have the option to ignore.. but there is nothing more annoying than a poster who jumps in with both feet and posts a whole page of unrelated drivel not related to the OP .. or repeats what has already been said several times..

I think the forum is getting too big for self moderation, yes, I know the pitfalls of having mods, but Jim and Bryan can't be expected to read every thread..

Well i guess the only use for the" last post button" would be is for those that have read the book and seek the latest posts;but as i said in my last post if you have set the view options to read the latest post first ,then you are right it has no use.

Moderation can work depends how its done.

Could be a job Jim::bigsmile:

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
May I suggest that the 'Go To Last Post' button is removed.. or disabled..

This would stop people who are too lazy to read the original post then go off topic or repeat information already provided in the first few posts..

For those who have already posted or read, the 'Go To First New Post' button is available.

what do others think ?

Jim

I don't agree Jim.

I use it all the time as I don't want to sort through all the (sometimes irrelevant posts I have already read) to find the last post I read on the topic.

I say leave it because it saves time. I am not on the forum all the time and this facility is one of the most useful when you want to catch up.

If it could be as you suggest only available when you have read the post I think that could be OK but that will depend on the system being able to do it.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I don't agree Jim.

I use it all the time as I don't want to sort through all the (sometimes irrelevant posts I have already read) to find the last post I read on the topic.

I say leave it because it saves time. I am not on the forum all the time and this facility is one of the most useful when you want to catch up.

If it could be as you suggest only available when you have read the post I think that could be OK but that will depend on the system being able to do it.

but you have that facility with the Go To First NEW Post . button ..

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I use it all the time as I don't want to sort through all the (sometimes irrelevant posts I have already read) to find the last post I read on the topic..

So you need a switch, may I post a code fragment:

if ( dickhead ) then display_lastpost = FALSE;
else display_lastpost = TRUE;

How about that ?

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
but you have that facility with the Go To First NEW Post . button ..

I could have missed many other posts by doing that because I'm not on-line all the time. Maybe that's the button that needs removing as you can just clink on that and go to the last post not knowing what has gone before!!

Now I'm getting confused. Which one are you suggesting is removed Jim?

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Sorry Jim got totally confused with the buttons.

I now agree with you. :Doh:

skylark_irl

Free Member
Mar 1, 2009
Dublin, Ireland
Funster No
MH
Alcove
Exp
I did read the all before you ask, but there's no way I'd like to have to read all the 5,800 posts in the Word Association thread just so I could add one word (and just cos I can put in smileys ):ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

The last post button has it's uses!

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I did read the all before you ask, but there's no way I'd like to have to read all the 5,800 posts in the Word Association thread just so I could add one word (and just cos I can put in smileys ):ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

The last post button has it's uses!

riveting reading I'm sure :RollEyes:

but you'll never know what new words you may have missed.. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
am I being thick? where is the goto first /last post button, never seen it.

Last edited:

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
No problem..

I was just going to upload a pic.. so here it is anyway :roflmto:

Thanks Jim, I get better after the 3rd bottle of wine. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

staging lady

Free Member
Nov 12, 2007
North Wales in the Hills
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
6 years but caravan owner in past
Thanks, Jim, for the thumbnail of the posts.
I never knew there was a first/last post button. :Doh: You learn something new everyday!

Sorry, Tony, I don't agree with your dislike of emoticons. I don't use them instead of using the English language, but to enhance or to emphasise some aspect of my post. Also I think they can add humour or diffuse a tense argument.
That's what makes this site great- everyone is entitled to his/her own opinion and is able to express it.
Lucille

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Just clicked the last post button. Wot was that all about, have I missed sumthing???

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.
Thanks, Jim, for the thumbnail of the posts.
I never knew there was a first/last post button. :Doh: You learn something new everyday!

Sorry, Tony, I don't agree with your dislike of emoticons. I don't use them instead of using the English language, but to enhance or to emphasise some aspect of my post. Also I think they can add humour or diffuse a tense argument.
That's what makes this site great- everyone is entitled to his/her own opinion and is able to express it.
Lucille

No, nor did I - learn something...etc.::bigsmile:

Yep. I agree. Putting a smiley after something that could be read as a bit terse (depends on the readers frame of mind at the time sometimes, I think) emphasises that it's not intended to be aggressive.:thumb: Whereas the use of the 'angry :Angry: one shows that your p'd off but not p'd off with reader IYSWIM

And we all have our little foibles (though I try to keep mine locked away). ::bigsmile:

John

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Lucille

Agree with you on this Lucille, when face to face we can gauge from someone's expression more than what they say, emoticons give you this ability on a forum. :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back