Annual Merry-Go-Round For Insurance (1 Viewer)

Nov 23, 2011
durham
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
since 2006
Well ive started the annual search for the motorhome insurance. I have been insured with Caravan Guard for the last 9 years and have always negotiated a reasonable renewal premium compared to Comfort and Safeguard. This year it had increased to £444 from £354 last year. After negotiation they reduced it to £384. This includes UK and EU breakdown and 7000 miles annually. Comfort gave a quote of £308 with a slightly lower excess. Safeguard surprisingly gave a quote of £435 but after I mentioned the Comfort quote they immediately reduced it to £295 and with their usual unlimited mileage. I understand a number of FUN members are with Safeguard and their reviews are generally positive but are their renewals consistently lower than the competition or do you have to negotiate every year.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
As you say, total PITA! I don't have any loyalty with any of them now as it seems there just going to screw you and shop around playing one against the other. It seems the only way, just have to watch excess, mileage, windscreen, breakdown, use abroad etc as they do vary a lot.(y)

colinw

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Bolton , Lancs.
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Under a year
@Badknee , I'm with comfort as last year some of the other forum recommended insurers wouldn't insure me . this year they are the cheapest at the moment but others have refused on postcode , others wanted trackers .
Probably doesn't help living next to as gypsy camp .
Please keep us informed if you get a good deal from a decent company . cheers .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
I have just left safeguard after having a quote of £468 from£354 last year after I questioned the increase they offered £359 got a quote from caravan and camping club £289 same deal less excess on any claim .no brainer really

colinw

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Bolton , Lancs.
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Under a year
Comfort is cheaper than I paid last year on internet searches but they haven't sent a renewal quote yet . we'll see .
I will try caravan club as I'm a member , may try c&cc too . thanks for the tip .

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
@Badknee , I'm with comfort as last year some of the other forum recommended insurers wouldn't insure me . this year they are the cheapest at the moment but others have refused on postcode , others wanted trackers .
Probably doesn't help living next to as gypsy camp .
Please keep us informed if you get a good deal from a decent company . cheers .
No surprise there @colinw. I was refused insurance on my Eunos Roadster 'sorry sir we are not insuring vehicles in that postcode at this time' BL3 stinks but what can you do? I'm with Comfort with our Moho and it wasn't too bad. There are some good cheap trackers mentioned on fun without costly annual charges.(y)

colinw

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Bolton , Lancs.
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Under a year
How much are the trackers and are they acceptable to insurers ?
I did a quote with and without tracker - £19 difference . I think theft mustn't be the biggest part of the premium !

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
The government has increased the Insurance Premium Tax this year. It is not just the insurance companies that are pushing costs up.

Comfort claimed there was no increase in our basic premium between 2014 and 2015 renewals, but blamed the tax for the increase.

Brian_K

Free Member
Feb 9, 2015
Durham
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Just had my renewal notice from Comfort, due the end of this month. £293 including European breakdown cover, didn't seem to bad.

Brian

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
I got a good deal with Safeguard when we changed the van last June as there was a gap between selling the old and getting new they treated it as new business and gave me £75 cash back

Brian_K

Free Member
Feb 9, 2015
Durham
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Hi Brian , was the quote more or less than last year ?

I paid £272.80 last year BUT than was on a much older vehicle (AS Symbol), I changed in May 2015. Overall, and allowing for the rise in the insurance tax, I would say it was about the same.

C&CC were exactly £400 when I got a quote earlier today.

Brian

bazzybabes

Free Member
Feb 5, 2015
Lancs/Yorks border
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 years
Just got a quote online from Comfort. Obviously need to ring to change assumption of business use, but does seem excessive. Regarding the claim, I had to declare a bump I received in my Land-Rover from a taxi driver who drove into me. I had a witness and his insurance company paid out. I haven't had a claim on my insurance.

Attachments

• comfort.png
    comfort.png
    59.7 KB · Views: 16
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Just got a quote online from Comfort. Obviously need to ring to change assumption of business use, but does seem excessive. Regarding the claim, I had to declare a bump I received in my Land-Rover from a taxi driver who drove into me. I had a witness and his insurance company paid out. I haven't had a claim on my insurance.
What has the Land -rover to do with the MHome ? On a different policy isn't it.

Apr 22, 2013
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 625
Exp
Since 2011
We have opted for a Nationwide Flex Plus account to get breakdown cover on all our vehicles. When we renewed in August some would remove breakdown cover and quote a lower amount. Some just said its part of the deal and wouldn't change the price. Can't remember who off hand but just when with the cheapest. Has have been said watch mileage, excess and continental limits.

OP
OP
ramsthom
Nov 23, 2011
durham
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
since 2006
Update on insurance renewal. I've gone with Safeguard. The original quote was £295 including UK and EU breakdown but I've added on No Claims Discount Protection for £12 to give a total price of £307.

rich g

Free Member
May 29, 2014
Worcester
Funster No
MH
A/S Warwick
Exp
since 2013
Try motorhomefacts.com for M.H insurance + breakdown cover UK and European .
I found very competitive

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
Renewal arrived from Safeguard yesterday - £591 - not acceptable!!
Called Caravanguard - wouldn't insure us given the value of the van unless we had a tracker.
Called Comfort - £340 ish (wow!)
Called Safeguard back to see if they could match it - they could only offer £490
Called Comfort back and I insisted we went through all the questions again just in case they had the wrong information - they hadn't.
Went with Comfort £340.05 RESULT!Happy bunny.
happy-bunny-smiley-emoticon.gif

The DATeam

Free Member
Nov 2, 2015
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2014
Just had my renewal from Comfort £287.04. Checked last years premium and this year's the same, plus the extra insurance tax. Will stay with Comfort.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Insurance via the "Dark Side" (AKA MHFacts), is underwritten by Aviva, the very same insurers that underwrite Comfort's policies, and even when subscribers to FACTS, their premium couldn't come close to that of Comfort. ;)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
The government has increased the Insurance Premium Tax this year. It is not just the insurance companies that are pushing costs up.

Comfort claimed there was no increase in our basic premium between 2014 and 2015 renewals, but blamed the tax for the increase.

IPT has increase from 6% to 9.5%. No one likes paying extra. On a fairly average £300 policy that's and increase of £10.50 over last year. (2015 @6% is £18.00: 2016 @9.5% is £28.50) The Insurance Companies (like Governments of all hues) are adept at shifting blame for their inefficiency, inflexibility and greed elsewhere.

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
We were with Safeguard,decided to move as their requote for the new van was unacceptable. NOTE: Problems occur when you move elsewhere as they only award 4 years no claims. I was lucky that I had all my prior claims history available to show the new company. Moved to Caravan Club(Devitts). Not overly impressed so at this years renewal we will move again. Loyalty is an unknown word to insurers and the brokers who work on their behalf.

Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki Tag, 2007.
Exp
Has anyone tried increasing/decreasing the agreed mileage to see how much difference it actually makes??

Can't remember ever being asked for current mileage when taking out insurance, so how would they know anyway? MOT to MOT maybe (what about new vans)??

Just curious.

Nov 3, 2014
Devizes, Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
For ten years
Had a quote from safeguard they wanted £470, I said no thanks told them I am with comfort and quote £314 with breakdown cover, and had quote from Together ins,no breakdown, £187 - after a few minutes they came back with £297 - how can they knock off £173 just like that?

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
After a ring around, last year was £295 (Safeguard), this years renewal is £315.
Started the ring around again.
Not quite finished yet but yesterday AIB rang me and so far its £279.
Safeguard will either repond or lose.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back