Ypres to Euro Disney (1 Viewer)

May 23, 2012
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Rapido 666f
Exp
Hi all - any advice please. I will be travelling from Ypres to Euro Disney during Feb half term with my kids. I have a day to fill on this journey probably down the A1 but I don't mind taking a detour and although will have done Menin Gate I would like to show the kids a couple of WW1 sites\ memorials on the way. My wife would also like to stop for lunch in a small town or village and have a mooch around. The van is 8.7m so I need reasonable parking. Thanks in advance.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Surly someone out there has a suggestion ...?

I can't think of any but hope you get something soon.. (y)

Jun 7, 2014
Cleethorpes
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Hi, i did a tour of WW1 sites about three years ago, my choice of sites to visit would the Canadian memorial site at Vimy Ridge, just north of Arras and close to the A26, so a slight detour. Another was the Newfoundland Regiment memorial at Beaumont Hamel north of Albert, also close by to here is the British memorial at Thiepval. These two would require a slightly bigger detour from the A1. Parking at any of these site shouldn't be a problem.
Mike

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
SteveB123
May 23, 2012
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Rapido 666f
Exp
Hi, i did a tour of WW1 sites about three years ago, my choice of sites to visit would the Canadian memorial site at Vimy Ridge, just north of Arras and close to the A26, so a slight detour. Another was the Newfoundland Regiment memorial at Beaumont Hamel north of Albert, also close by to here is the British memorial at Thiepval. These two would require a slightly bigger detour from the A1. Parking at any of these site shouldn't be a problem.
Mike
Thanks Mike I should have time to have a quick look at all of them.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Thanks Mike I should have time to have a quick look at all of them.

Can defiantly vouch for Thiepval and there is Tommys cafe down the road from it... Great little cafe with a indoor/outdoor museum within it, trenches and bombs the lot .... Really interesting, google it...

Jun 7, 2014
Cleethorpes
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
The site at Vimy covers quite a large area with the museum and preserved trenches at one end and the memorial at the other. I would head toward the parking area at the museum and look there, then weather permitting, walk along the road that runs through the battlefield that has been left as it was in 1918, towards the monument. i think there is some parking up there if you prefer to drive up there.
Mike

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 7, 2009
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti
Exp
Since Dec 2009
Arras is worth a visit. There is an aire close to the centre for parking. Wonderful architecture and lots of shops and restaurants in the squares.

There are WW1 tunnels beneath the town and these are on our list of things to do in the future. Website says free car and coach parking.

http://www.greatwar.co.uk/french-flanders-artois/museum-wellington-quarry.htm

Further south there is the chateau de Pierrefonds near Compiègne - well worth a visit (used in the Merlin series).

http://www.pierrefonds.monuments-nationaux.fr

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back