Connection between Hab. and Vehicle Batteries (1 Viewer)

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Following on from Clarky who thought his question "re batteries 'Daft'??? (He obviously doesn't know the definition. There was nothing daft about it)

I immediately apologise for the following drivel and the length of the post.

I am confused regarding the relationship between the Vehicle Battery and the pair of batteries I have in the Habitation area.

I have an X244 Fiat based Hobby. When I bought it we installed a pair of matched 110ahr batteries. Shortly afterwards we installed an 80watt solar panel on the roof and connected it, via a controller to the Hab batteries and for the past 22mths or so everything has worked good.

In September we embarked on a two month trip to Spain via France and the electrics worked well. On occasions we wilded for several days without going into the Red on the habitation side and, I put the continued good state of the batteries down to a combination of good weather and the Hab batteries being topped up via the alternator when we were on the move. So far, so good.

We arrived home on November 13th and at that point the vehicle had a rest and was not used.
I went to the 'van earlier this week and noted that the vehicle battery gauge had slipped down out of the Green into a mediocre state. The Hab. guage was holding up well. As the 'van had been sat on the drive for two months without turning a wheel I was not unduly concerned or worried. I took out the charger from the garage, gave the engine battery 24hrs on charge and the engine battery needle is now well into the Green.

However, and this is the main thrust of my confusion. I thought that the solar panel would have for the last two months have provided charge to the engine battery whilst at home. Are motorhomes wired up 'Ordinarily' to provide charge from the Habitation side to the Engine side when given juice by the solar panel.

My other point of confusion stems from the fact that after I had given the engine battery its 24hrs of charge, whilst the engine battery was much 'refreshed', the Hab side didn't appear to have received anything from the process.

Here's my simple??? question. Ordinarily, are the two batteries linked and can/does the supply of charge be it from the alternator or the solar panel provide charge to the 'opposite batteries.

See Clarky. I told you your question wasn't daft. I know mine is.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Most often no
Varies very much depending on you particular electrical system

Last edited:

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
On my Autocruise stargazer I can switch between hab and starter batteries for charging from the built in charger. I thought all mo ho s were the same ..obviously not.

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
They are all different. The thing that is most usual is that a relay or similar device keeps the batteries disconnected deliberately until your angina is running and the alternator is pumping out sparky juice. At this point the alternator trips the relay and it is then able to provide charge to all of your batteries. There isn't usually any relay in the opposite direction so it doesn't matter how well charged the solar is keeping the hab batteries, the engine battery will continue to be discharged by loads from radios and alarms etc.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
On my Autocruise stargazer I can switch between hab and starter batteries for charging from the built in charger. I thought all mo ho s were the same ..obviously not.
Not the same thing.
OP is referring to maintaining all batteries on solar without hook up.

I thought that the solar panel would have for the last two months have provided charge to the engine battery whilst at home. Are motorhomes wired up 'Ordinarily' to provide charge from the Habitation side to the Engine side when given juice by the solar pane

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Oh sorry misunderstood.!! Its an age thing ..
Not at all it's good that you understand your own electrical system (y) surprisingly a lot do not :LOL:
You probably already know but just be sure you don't have engine battery selected if you're not on hook up or you'll flatten it. The switch not only selects it for charging but also for feeding the habitation

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
Yes as the Techno man says, we had a battery master fitted to ours so the leisure battery trickle charges the engine battery, same set up as you have with solar on the roof and both always full an ready to go !

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Would a good two way voltage sensing relay be another option.. I have a blue sea 120A relay linking the vehicle batteries and leisure batteries.. seems to work well whatever the charging source to either set of batteries..
Ta Andy.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
if you have a simple split charge relay system you can use a simple switch anda low ampage fuse to link across the relay then the solar will charge both whilst stationary but you need to switch of before you move or blow the fuse

OP
OP
Emmit

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Can I thank all contributors to this thread. The veil has been lifted from my eyes.
Obviously Techno, you're the star here, (but you knew that anyway).
First prize must go to the contribution by MJLTIGGER who in the course of his piece said,
"the batteries disconnected deliberately until your ANGINA:sick::sick::sick: is running and the alternator is pumping out sparky juice."

Mate, I have no idea what was going on whilst you were typing this (but I'm glad that our batteries could be also used as a defibbulator) Nice one.:LOL:

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
if you have a simple split charge relay system you can use a simple switch anda low ampage fuse to link across the relay then the solar will charge both whilst stationary but you need to switch of before you move or blow the fuse

So how do cars tugging caravans charge both batteries without blowing the fuse or switching it off .?? Oohh,! Think I got it wrong again ,we are talking solar panel power....sorry !

Dec 2, 2010
Hollywood, Birmingham.
Funster No
MH
A Class Laika
Exp
Since 2011
If you want to keep your starter battery topped up and your electrical system does not support this then you need either a @eddievanbitz Batterymaster or one of these
Broken Link Removed

This thread has started me thinking about keeping my vehicle battery topped up during wintertime here in the UK.
Briefly I have no problem in the summer or in Spain in the winter because there is sufficient daylight to keep both leisure and vehicle batteries topped up. Once leisure batteries are topped or on EHU solar output is diverted to the vehicle battery, see pic for wiring diagram. The controller is a Helios Technology unit, Italian origin and no longer in business and no English manual either.
In winter here I have to run the engine approximately once per week in order to keep the vehicle battery topped up, there is not any "spare" capacity from the solar panel, which does just about keep the leisure batteries topped up.
If I connect the EHU there is no charge to the vehicle battery.

I am concerned that (not being an electrician) that duplicating the battery to battery function may damage the solar controller, any ideas or help appreciated.
I like the CBE controllers so the link Andy posted would be my favoured option and I think would also work with EHU.

Broken Link Removed

scan0001.jpg

Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
I have 2 CBE units on my Hobby, had one fitted to keep the engine battery topped up when I had the solar panel fitted and that was fine all last winter. Fitted another CBE unit a couple of months ago to keep the auxiliary battery topped up (Ford Transit) and I am keeping an eye on it to see if the solar panel copes with it this time of year.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I like the CBE controllers so the link Andy posted would be my favoured option and I think would also work with EHU.
It is the Vanbitz unit you need. The one I posted won't transfer charge until 13.6 volts has been reached which won't happen in the weather we've had for some time now.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
So how do cars tugging caravans charge both batteries without blowing the fuse or switching it off .?? Oohh,! Think I got it wrong again ,we are talking solar panel power....sorry !
nothing to do with solar would work the same if on ehu caravans are not in use when the engine is running

Dec 2, 2010
Hollywood, Birmingham.
Funster No
MH
A Class Laika
Exp
Since 2011
It is the Vanbitz unit you need. The one I posted won't transfer charge until 13.6 volts has been reached which won't happen in the weather we've had for some time now.
But would it work with EHU connected? That gives 13.8 to 14.2 volts across the leisure battery. It looks to be a cost effective way of charging the vehicle battery.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
But would it work with EHU connected? That gives 13.8 to 14.2 volts across the leisure battery. It looks to be a cost effective way of charging the vehicle battery.
Yes.As soon as it senses 13.6 volts it will transfer up to 4amps until the voltage drops to 12.5
It explains that in the ebay listing
* 4A charging,

* For 12V systems

* Secondry battery (engine) connects at 13.6V and disconnects if Leisure battery drops lower than 12.5V

* LED indicates that Secondry battery is charging

Dimensions Width 74mm including feet, Depth 49mm Height 44mm

* Instructions supplied

* Supplied with connector & terminals

* CE certified by manufacturer CBE

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
The system on my Rapido is like Techno says, the engine battery doesn't get a charge from solar till the Hab batteries are at 13.6v. If there's a bit of sunshine, even in January its enough to get a bit of charge into the vehicle battery, but just lately its been solid murk for weeks on end.
My vehicle battery, which is old and infirm, gave up the ghost showing a voltage of 3.9v. Replacement is currently sitting in my garage and hopefully I'll get round to putting it in tomorrow.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
The only time the CBE unit I fitted to our MH hasn't been able to keep a charge going into the starter battery, was when the solar panels were covered with blooming snow. :(
Even at this time of year, the CBE unit green LED is illuminated most daytimes, indicating a charge to the starter battery. We do tend to get more sun here in East Anglia though, compared to the rest of the country. ;)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Dec 2, 2010
Hollywood, Birmingham.
Funster No
MH
A Class Laika
Exp
Since 2011
Yes.As soon as it senses 13.6 volts it will transfer up to 4amps until the voltage drops to 12.5
It explains that in the ebay listing
* 4A charging,

* For 12V systems

* Secondry battery (engine) connects at 13.6V and disconnects if Leisure battery drops lower than 12.5V

* LED indicates that Secondry battery is charging

Dimensions Width 74mm including feet, Depth 49mm Height 44mm

* Instructions supplied

* Supplied with connector & terminals

* CE certified by manufacturer CBE
Many thanks Andy, bought and installed, works perfectly on mains charger.(y)

Motorhome Man

Free Member
Mar 2, 2016
Upper Halling, Kent
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2015
Hi all, another easy way to charge vehicle battery and leisure batteries at same time whilst on solar is to plug extension lead into 12v hab outlet and connect to vehicle battery via crocodile clips, or if vehicle cigar lighter is live without ignition on can plug into that. Can also use when on EHU. Just disconnect when vehicle battery is charged.

Motorhome Man

Free Member
Mar 2, 2016
Upper Halling, Kent
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2015
Another easy way to charge all batteries at the same time whether on solar or EHU is to connect an extension lead from a 12v habitation socket directly to the vehicle battery or if cab cigar lighter is live with ignition off you can plug in there. Make sure to disconnect though if weather is overcast or at night when on solar otherwise you will be discharging vehicle battery. Luke

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Another easy way to charge all batteries at the same time whether on solar or EHU is to connect an extension lead from a 12v habitation socket directly to the vehicle battery or if cab cigar lighter is live with ignition off you can plug in there. Make sure to disconnect though if weather is overcast or at night when on solar otherwise you will be discharging vehicle battery. Luke
So it's and easy way - I think not.........................

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back