Car/Bike trailer is it good or a pain? (1 Viewer)

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
Although I have a large garage, as I am getting older and past my sell by date, I am thinking of getting a tow bar fitted on MH this summer whilst in the UK, I could then tow a trailer with either a scooter or perhaps a Smart car (or similar) on it. I used to drive HGV 1 so a trailer itself is not a problem, but I have never had one on a MH, I am just wondering, as the heading says, is a trailer a pain or is it a good idea.

Your thoughts appreciated.

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
If you want to park the motorhome up and not use it as transport once you reach your destination you have a choice. Either park within walking distance of town/village or find a site that has good bus routes which stop outside the site. Other than that, it's take your own transport. WSe have been taking a bike or scooter in a trailer for 16 years now and wouldn't be without some form of two wheeled transport.(Note for those who are going to suggest getting a caravan, I said two wheeled transport.) I would still take a car on the occasional trip if it was mid winter.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
We have been taking a bike or scooter in a trailer for 16 years now and wouldn't be without some form of two wheeled transport.

Only today I said "We are having more fun with these e-bikes than we would with a motorbike". Miles of cycle paths along the see front and one and off pavements to view shops. Not got the range but definitely the FUN factor.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
I've been towing a small camping trailer for 2 years now especially on our Benidorm trips as I like the inside of motorhome tidy.

John.

Sep 5, 2013
Dordogne, france
Funster No
MH
Rapido 696FF
Exp
since 2013
Hi Billy 23,
We are on the Smart and trailer side of things. I do have a Harley, but even though I would love to take it with us touring, Mrs Jimbo doesn't want her hair ruined if we go out for meals in the evenings, and there is also the hassle of carrying leathers etc when you get to wherever it is you are going. Get a soft top Smart and you get the best of both worlds! Oh, and the Brian James Smart trailer is so perfectly balanced that we load the car on the trailer away from the M/H in car parks at sites etc, and it can be easily moved with the car on board.
We never had a problem with the trailer or car on sites, and providing you are ok with your Gross Weights it's a really handy option.
Best of luck.
Jim

Attachments

• France July 2015 001.JPG
    France July 2015 001.JPG
    317.6 KB · Views: 44
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
We're taking our panda with us this year to Spain have done a couple of trips to get a bit of practice getting on all right with it just need to remember the extra length and allow for it on junctions and roundabouts you will not be quite as quick as without it.
image.jpeg

Aug 7, 2013
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2013
We have e bikes and an A frame. Thought long and hard about a trailer but problems with storing it and also where do you put it on a camp site. Also as you get older all the work in a trailer seemed a disadvantage. We've been in Spain France and Portugal with A frame albeit not knowing it was against the law. But having said that did not have any problem with police. That may change with brexit. With the ease of use of the A frame and cost of hiring a car it's tempting to use the A frame again and take the chance. Anyway good luck with your decision.

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
For those that are thinking about having a trailer but haven't the room to store one, the answer maybe to hire a trailer. A customer of mine races Caterham's and was struggling finding room for car, motorhome and trailer, he struck a deal with a local trailer hire company for £50 a weekend, which worked out more convenient and cheaper than storage.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Update on our winter trip trailer towed well and did over 4000miles but have since had VB semi air on the back to enable adjusting for van being fully loaded which keeps the hitch that little bit higher.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
For almost 20 years now I have rung the changes. started with a B-J "A" trailer. went to "A" framing, until the Europhile cops started to get silly, had a "dolly" in the USA (best of both worlds in my opinion) Not legal here BTW. I personally favour the "A" frame route but as we are all too aware the Euro Idiots never like to see anything sensible.

I guess that anyone who now proposes to take a car abroad is FORCED to trailer, Or revert to a Caravan, If like us you are not able to cycle or ride a Motorcycle for reason of Disability.

Trailers, per se have issues, we found the worst was storage, both at home, and on site. B-J used to do a trailer with a folding draw bar, But no longer feature one in their catalogue. I am currently attempting to design a lightweight folding one but the structural issues are very complex, involving stress factors in 3 planes at least.

Pete

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back