Why are ugly chunky E Bikes so popular? (1 Viewer)

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Most I see are cheap heavy hunks of iron, much like the £100 Halfords special but with a motor attached. If all you've ever cycled is a heavy cheap hard to ride bike I suppose the motor must be much appreciated. But eBikes are sooo expensive. For the money you could buy a proper strong lightweight bike that will last a lifetime. Ride a piece of pig iron and you'll want a motor, but spend the money on a proper bike and you'll find how much easier they are to ride and most of you won't want or need a motor. :)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
You trying to wind us e-bike riders up Jim?
We have both a proper decent bike and a decent e-bike, both have there uses. The e-bike comes into it's own in very hilly areas where you would think twice about taking a standard bike out. For us e-bikes don't make cycling any easier just means we go twice as far, much faster & up hills we wouldn't normally tackle.
Also means if we want to visit somewhere 20 miles away from where we have parked the van just hop on the e-bikes, probably wouldn't bother on standard bikes.

Until you have ridden a good quality e-bike you won't appreciate the riding experience they give.

Edit:
Would agree if not prepared to spend your money on a good quality e-bike better to spend it a good quality standard bike, some quite good ones around now for under a grand (standard push bikes).

2nd Edit:
I didn't read the title properly, I see you were only talking about the cheap junk.:)

Last edited:

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Sorry Jim but some of us can't afford a luxury expensive bike so a cheaper all be it uglier ebike is for us. I found I could do more miles ,enjoyed cycling more and what's more could keep up( and overtake!) the OH! Have you seen the hills in Sheffield?!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
My ebike is easier to ride than my normal (not cheap) bike. it has better rolling road resistance, and is often used without the battery. Can cycle for long distances on the flat, but asthma prevents me from doing as much uphill as i would like.
Benefit is, that as time goes on i can cycle longer distances on more varied terrain without the electric by the end of my trip, so is helping my fitness rather than making me lazy.
Unfortunately now have a van we can take the motorbike in, so no room for my bike :( but doing more walking to compensate (y)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
A lot of people think they need eBikes because they are riding the wrong "normal" bike. For example riding a mountain bike, no matter how expensive or cheap, any great distance on the road is always going to be much harder work than a road bike or even a hybrid.

The same applies if the bike is the wrong size for you. You're going to be working much harder than you need to and that motor is going to look tempting.

Anyone buying any type of bike should buy it from a proper cycle shop where they know how to measure and match you to the correct size frame.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
A lot of people think they need eBikes because they are riding the wrong "normal" bike. For example riding a mountain bike, no matter how expensive or cheap, any great distance on the road is always going to be much harder work than a road bike or even a hybrid.

The same applies if the bike is the wrong size for you. You're going to be working much harder than you need to and that motor is going to look tempting.

Anyone buying any type of bike should buy it from a proper cycle shop where they know how to measure and match you to the correct size frame.

Agree..But proper bikes cost proper money. And that's what your up against.....many can't see the value as they don't recognize the difference between good and bad

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Agree..But proper bikes cost proper money. And that's what your up against.....many can't see the value as they don't recognize the difference between good and bad

I know but even a cheap, properly sized road bike is going to be easier to ride on the road than an expensive, wrongly sized mountain bike.

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588

Buy cheap, buy twice.

Or alternatively buy cheap and then leave in the garage as its too heavy batteries flat etc.

I have now had one of my road bikes, a custom measured and built quality steel frame (reynolds 853), for more than twenty five years. Its now on its third group set and god knows how many wheels I've been through. At the time others scoffed at the money I was spending, most of them, if they're still cycling, have spent a lot more on new bikes over the same time period.

Sadly I feel that those that have never tried a quality bike that fit them, they will never realise what a difference it makes to the whole experience.

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Think we will eventually get E Bikes as with cycling I like to explore & see what's round the next corner or over the next hill so sometimes get carried away then realise I have to find the energy to cycle all the way back too... Think that knowing you have that bit of assistance would open up longer trips without stress.
How good a bike it will be depends on budget at the time (might have to be a heavy chunky one!) but agree that buying a good quality one that is lightweight & performs well would be a better buy long term.

parknride

Free Member
Jan 21, 2014
cumbria
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1988
I've ridden bikes for years, now I suffer with rheumatism and arthritis. I can't get up too many hills in one trip so kept moaning to OH how difficult/too far etc etc. Now, with my brilliant bike I can and do and ENJOY bike rides of a much bigger distance. I get more exercise than I would on a normal bike and only use the assist when required.
Cost was a factor to me, I cant afford to be frivolous with money but pros far far outweigh the cons. Lot of homework and help off this forum and a few visits to good bike shops helped me get it right first time.(y)

Are you just on a wind up @Jim ?:whistle:

Aug 4, 2013
Oop North
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I think its all about comfort zones, wouldn't feel happy setting out on a days cycling without a motor unless I knew it was pretty flat, neither would a lot of people feel comfortable spending a fortune on any bike.
I know its illegal but the throttle on my heavy bike has come in really useful on a couple of occasions when my pedal has dropped off miles from the MH. Yes I would like a light weight folding e bike with a great battery but I havent replaced the husband yet either nor he me!

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
If you have the interest and can justify the cost their are new bikes around with the Brose motor which is very small and very powerful, coupled with a battery in frame they are pretty sleek for an e bike.

lots of manufacturers beginning to use this drive in all style of bikes

download.jpg

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I know but even a cheap, properly sized road bike is going to be easier to ride on the road than an expensive, wrongly sized mountain bike.

I can see that ebikes have been a lifesaver for many. But I'm sure plenty of people wouldn't need a motor if only they had the confidence to raise the saddle to optimise their leg power. I see so many with the saddle so low, I cringe. Their quads and knees must be mashed in a really short time, leading them to believe that they really need a motor when all they need is an Allen key.

But as it's been pointed out, if a motor is the difference between cycling or not, then I suppose they have to be a good thing. Motor or not, raise your saddle to the correct height :)

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
If I had a £ for every time i had explained to people how bad it is to not have saddle at correct height I would be a rich man.....You see them all the time with their knees up in the air:)

The main reason seems to be they like their feet on the ground while sitting on the seat....Local councils run free cycling classes, you pay for it anyway why not get some education, they also teach you regards road safety

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I can see that ebikes have been a lifesaver for many. But I'm sure plenty of people wouldn't need a motor if only they had the confidence to raise the saddle to optimise their leg power. I see so many with the saddle so low, I cringe. Their quads and knees must be mashed in a really short time, leading them to believe that they really need a motor when all they need is an Allen key.

But as it's been pointed out, if a motor is the difference between cycling or not, then I suppose they have to be a good thing. Motor or not, raise your saddle to the correct height :)

You're absolutely right. Riding position is everything so if your saddle height and frame size is wrong you're in trouble before you even start.

parknride

Free Member
Jan 21, 2014
cumbria
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1988
Les's pet hate, you can see so many kids on bikes with their knees bent up. It's something he always gets cross about. :mad:

O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
Let's face it, Jim is just bored and is winding, or peddling us up. Anyway, "ugly" is in the eye of the beholder, what is ugly to some is a beauty to others.....(open to comments here!!). I have a chunky, folding ebike, without which I could not get out and about now that my legs are packing up. Les has a similar bike to keep up with me and we both enjoy getting about on them, something we could not do on our old flashy non electric bikes....

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Let's face it, Jim is just bored and is winding, or peddling us up. Anyway, "ugly" is in the eye of the beholder, what is ugly to some is a beauty to others.....(open to comments here!!). I have a chunky, folding ebike, without which I could not get out and about now that my legs are packing up. Les has a similar bike to keep up with me and we both enjoy getting about on them, something we could not do on our old flashy non electric bikes....
Haha I agree ! Mine is ugly and weighs 22k but it gets me to places I may not get to without it! ALS got paneers for the back to hold the French bread patisseries and bottle of wine for a picnic!! Now they do make it look ugly! But do useful! Oh yes it's called Buzzy! Sorry all you bike aficionados !!;)

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
So what height should the saddle be?

On my bike I can just about touch the floor with my toes, but only just.

I get really knackered after about 10 miles but I always thought that was because I was a fat unfit git.

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988