Must see spots in Scotland (1 Viewer)

Nov 6, 2011
Worthing
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky Ti
Exp
2001 to date
After the York rally we have another week before we have to be back at work in Sussex. As we are travelling that far North, we thought we might continue on to see some of Scotland. Obviously we do not have a lot of time, so has anyone got a suggested must see round route?

Cheers,

Keith :cool:

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
CC site New England,Dumfrees. is nice if you like wild places there's the lighthouse and all sorts you have a nice view over to Ireland as well

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
With just a week Galloway and the north Solway coast would be good. Depends on the time of year of course. With more time anywhere north of Glasgow up the west coast, Ardnamurchen and so forth.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Pikeman
Nov 6, 2011
Worthing
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky Ti
Exp
2001 to date
CC site New England,Dumfrees. is nice if you like wild places there's the lighthouse and all sorts you have a nice view over to Ireland as well

Thanks Alan, but I quite fancy seeing a couple of Lochs - might even do a spot of fishing, but would like to move around.

Keith

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Up the east coast, a night at Beadnell or along the Northumbrian coast, Berwick (maybe) across Scotland via Coldstream, Kelso, Selkirk, Peebles, Biggar, across to the Ayr coast and then head south through Dumfries and Galloway. You will run out of time though.

Edit: For fishing try St Mary's Loch and / or The Megget and / or Talla and go west via Moffat.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
A quick divert off the motorway to see the Kelpie Horses and close by the Falkirk wheel near to Falkirk.

And you can stay overnight in the car park on the south side (small charge). Ignore the signs on the motorway as they take you well out of the way.

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
From your avatar do we assume Pike fishing is on the cards?
If so Loch Venichar and Loch Lubnaig in the Trossachs as well as Loch Lomond all hold a good head of them. You will find parking by all these lochs, although in high summer you will find loads of people as well as a chance encounter with the dreaded Midges.

Delboyarapaho

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 17, 2013
Herts UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Liner for T
Exp
Since 2013
I would head for Edinburgh. Great city to visit, Royal Yaught Britania is now a museum there and good caravan club site. Then the next must see for me is the Oban area and the peninsula around to the south of Oban. On your way back call in at Chatsworth or Buxton.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Leave York around 9am, get up to Loch Lomond for tea time. Spend a day or 2 around there. On to Glencoe and either over to Mull for a few days or up to Ft William, Loch Ness and head back to Surrey. It is a long trip and I wouldn't try and cram too much in as there is a lot to see in all of these places; we've spent 3 weeks on the Isle of Mull alone and haven't seen everything but what we have seen is lovely.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Not trying to correct you but just in case the ops sees this and plans driving its not actually in Dumfries its actually about 75/80 miles west. Would still recommend it though

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
I would highly recommend Dumfries and Galloway, lot closer for you and some stunning places to see.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Loch Arthur, near Beeswing, Dumfries, has huge pike in it. I only fished it once but got a fourteen pounder but the person I was with had had several over twenty there on earlier trips.

Unfortunately, we were poaching and I don't know if you could get permission to fish it, but worth it if you can. From memory the fishing was owned by a Buddhist retreat but things may have changed in the intervening forty odd years!

Edit: Just done a bit of Googling and it seems it is free fishing. You can park beside the road which runs next to the Loch but from memory I'm not sure if there would be room for a MH. Try looking on Google Street view although this link suggests you can park in a couple of places. Dead baiting worked for us in winter but a lure might be better in summer. You fish literally from the roadside.

http://www.fishing.reeleminofdumfries.com

Last edited:
OP
OP
Pikeman
Nov 6, 2011
Worthing
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky Ti
Exp
2001 to date
Thanks everyone for the feedback. :cool::cool:

Keith

Reactions: DBK

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Loch Arthur, near Beeswing, Dumfries, has huge pike in it. I only fished it once but got a fourteen pounder but the person I was with had had several over twenty there on earlier trips.

Unfortunately, we were poaching and I don't know if you could get permission to fish it, but worth it if you can. From memory the fishing was owned by a Buddhist retreat but things may have changed in the intervening forty odd years!

Edit: Just done a bit of Googling and it seems it is free fishing. You can park beside the road which runs next to the Loch but from memory I'm not sure if there would be room for a MH. Try looking on Google Street view although this link suggests you can park in a couple of places. Dead baiting worked for us in winter but a lure might be better in summer. You fish literally from the roadside.

http://www.fishing.reeleminofdumfries.com
If you fancied fishing here then I could recommend a dew wild places to stay within minutes and also a small CL close by.

Reactions: DBK
Sep 5, 2012
Scotland
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer
Exp
since 2012
Nice wee fly fishing for trout cl in southwest called Garlieston Lodge. They also have pigs and supply their own bacon and sausages.

OP
OP
Pikeman
Nov 6, 2011
Worthing
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky Ti
Exp
2001 to date
Following all you suggestions, I have decided on The Trossachs. Have studied the official web-site, but would like any personal gems on places to see, wild camping etc?

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
Following all you suggestions, I have decided on The Trossachs. Have studied the official web-site, but would like any personal gems on places to see, wild camping etc?

If you are on FB then join Scottish Motorhome Wildcampers. Lots of info including link to wild camping spots on google earth.

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Are you a member of Britstops because there is a very good one just above Callendar, 2 actually.
Along Loch Venachar there are a couple of car parks and a cafe which I under stand are amenable to you stopping if you use it. Plus there is a dump point on the banks of Loch Lubnaig in a car park, they charge but it's useful and last time I used it they charged me £2.

D

DM14742

Deleted User
Hi there Mate, just seen this thread, the Trossachs are lovely, good choice. I would highly recommend catching the Train from Crianlarich just north of the Trossachs and go up to Fort William. Its a stunning journey with jaw dropping scenery, Fort William itself I found a little disappointing but still worth a wander round.

Last edited by a moderator:
O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
Hi there Mate, just seen this thread, the Trossachs are lovely, good choice. I would highly recommend catching the Train from Crianlarich just north of the Trossachs and go up to Fort William. Its a stunning journey with jaw dropping scenery, Fort William itself I found a little disappointing but still worth a wander round.

You could "wander round" or up, Ben Nevis whilst in Fort William or you could catch the Steam Train to Malaig on a wonderful trip through the mountains that takes you over the "Harry Potter" viaduct.

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
We are currently at the north east tip of the Trossachs, at Killin. Stunning beautiful area with some great walks, pubs and restaurants.
Leaving in the morning, and travelling up to Braemar. (y)

OP
OP
Pikeman
Nov 6, 2011
Worthing
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky Ti
Exp
2001 to date
Thanks Jez for resurrecting this thread. The train journey sounds good, we can talk about it when I see you in July.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back