Free Member
Jul 1, 2009
folkestone kent
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
2nd year
hi to you all. has anyone got a manual for a 1991 defleffs globetrotter? also got lots of blue smoke from exhaust :Eeek: any advice most welcome.:thumb::thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
hi stu,

sorry cant help with the manual but........

blue smoke is burning oil.....could be worn valve guides/seals(more noticable after slowing down then accelerating) or worn/broken piston rings.(smoking all the time)

black smoke is over-fuelling.....injection pump/injector fault.

white smoke is water vapour(steam)....blown/leaking cylinder head gasket.

gazznsam

Free Member
May 15, 2009
Eastwood, Notts
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
on a diesel blue smoke 'could' be a fueling problem, dribeling injectors etc, but if someones been driving the vehicle very gently all it's life, then the bores are prolly glazed badly, and it is indeed oil burning (a diesel needs to be worked, especialy when new)

samon a diesel, white smoke, is more likely to be incomplete combustion, i.e. unburnt fuel getting into the exhaust (smoke fluid for model planes is usually diesel based, spray it into the hot exhaust stream just after the engine and it'll give a lovely thick white smoke)
clouds of white smoke on start up is a sure sign a glow plug or 2 have died.

anyhoo, first thing i'd do is whip the injectors out and get them tested, they should really be checked every 30k miles and adjusted, and by 80k miles they are usually due replacement, but not many people bother.

whilst the injectors are out do a compression test, but never ever ever do a wet test... i.e. on a petrol if you squirt oil down the cylinder and do another test, if the reading increases it's the rings, doing that on a diesel can result in the oil igniting and blowing the gauge appart on the tester.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
stuboy7

stuboy7

Free Member
Jul 1, 2009
folkestone kent
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
2nd year
smoking

yes did buy private going to get emission test done tomorrow. then start looking into what problem is, just hope not to major? was going away in august for a week.:thumb::thumb:

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
Hi, try a bottle of FORTE fuel additive- just make sure you get the correct fuel type ie diesel or petrol. Worked a treat in my merc based m/h. Not easy to get usually only available to trade so ask your friendly mechanic to get it if you can't.
Cheers, Dave:thumb:

OP
OP
stuboy7

stuboy7

Free Member
Jul 1, 2009
folkestone kent
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
2nd year
hi dave jen, did put some wynns in the diesel. i have got to change air filter next see if that makes any difference? lets just hope, im hoping its just m/h stood for 2yrs just taking a whike to clear system.:Smile:::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
hi dave jen, did put some wynns in the diesel. i have got to change air filter next see if that makes any difference? lets just hope, im hoping its just m/h stood for 2yrs just taking a whike to clear system.:Smile:::bigsmile:

if the engine hasnt been started for two years that could be the problem.....rings could be gummed up, cylinders could have had a film of rust(water in diesel) and slightly scored the cylinders/rings when first started or valve guide seals dried out and cracked/perished.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back