Pub stopovers, Dumfries area. (1 Viewer)

Dec 27, 2013
Haydock
Funster No
MH
Coach build
Exp
Since 2012
Heading to Stranraer next week & may stop off on way, any recommendations for nice pub which allow a motorhome to stay overnight, anywhere around Dumfries area ?

Many Thanks

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
There is a park in the centre of Dumfries along the river that @lorger recommended for us as a stopover on our way to portpatrick. It is called Dock Park, I've copied lorgers directions below. Great location for walking into town to get something to eat, great access and really easy to find. We will definitely use this again.

Lorgers directions:
My number one choice for you or should I say my top two is to drive all the way to Dumfries take the first exit off the first roundabout on the A75 and follow road until you reach 3rd mini roundabout take first exit next mini roundabout take first exit Drive through 3 sets of lights and at the forth you have two choices.
First choice is straight on for 100yards to next set of lights and turn into park on left and you can park up for a couple of nights here with no issues. Only a 5 min walk to town and nice wee Italian 20 yards away in park.

Tincataylor

Free Member
Jul 9, 2012
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Never leave a campsite with your clothes line tied to a lamp post.
Having bought a pint and asked politely to overnight in the car park, we have so far never had a pub in the UK refuse us,

The TIncas

ianandkath

Free Member
Jun 4, 2015
spain/uk
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
2 years
ive found 2 pub stopovers in dumfries, the old stables at beattock, and the wanlockhead inn at gardendyke. you could try them. i have email and phone numbers for them

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Having bought a pint and asked politely to overnight in the car park, we have so far never had a pub in the UK refuse us,

The TIncas
What he said :D
Most pubs are amenable to this, there are some that are in the britstop guide in that area, but I don't have my book to hand.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
I'm fine although we do have family businesses on the Whitesand thankfully tenants are in them so not our worry. We have been flooded several times over the last 30 years with the water being 5ft 3 inside our family pub. I have recommended a couple of places to the OP and will keep him updated with the flooding

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
you can over night at glencaple on B725 ... park on front next to tea rooms, toilets open all times ..hotel and pub ,,
across road .its well used all year round ...about two miles from Dumfries

http://www.caerlaverockestate.co.uk/caerlaverock-tearoom-and-shop.php
Yes would recommend this place but with the weather we're having this place could be shut for a good few days as its under a good few feet of water just now.
Not being picky but it's Slightly more than 2 miles will be closer to 6 just incase you head that way and turn back after a couple of miles.

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
Please remember to take into account the new Scottish laws on drink driving limits. The simple answer is don't do it. Remembering that the traffic cops along the A75 are shit hot on "morning after" drivers. The good news is that instances of drink driving in Scotland have dropped dramatically, every cloud & all that.

OP
OP
Barney23
Dec 27, 2013
Haydock
Funster No
MH
Coach build
Exp
Since 2012

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hello,
Would you know if this is open at moment, we have tried to contact them today but received no reply.
Thanks

Yes they will be open and they are nothing to do with the parking area you just turn up and they have an honesty box for donations. When I say they have nothing to do with it I mean they don't take bookings or anything like that, it's the local Laird that owns the cafe and the quay.

this is the hotel across road from where you can park

http://www.nithhotel.co.uk/ could give them a call

This is a great place to stay and one I'd highly recommend but as I mentioned in my earlier post with the forecast we have this area will flood well before the Dock park, you just wouldn't want to be disturb during the night when you've had a pint or two.

Although it's not the best place my first choice for next week would be Brooms road car park your allowed to park overnight as a few MH are always there, if this place gets flooded then Dumfries is in serious trouble. If I wasn't worried about the flooding (just seen our local forecast) then I would recommend Dock Park and Glencaple as the best two spots but on this occasion I'd go for Brooms road or if your not happy with that you can have my drive.

OP
OP
Barney23
Dec 27, 2013
Haydock
Funster No
MH
Coach build
Exp
Since 2012
Yes they will be open and they are nothing to do with the parking area you just turn up and they have an honesty box for donations. When I say they have nothing to do with it I mean they don't take bookings or anything like that, it's the local Laird that owns the cafe and the quay.

This is a great place to stay and one I'd highly recommend but as I mentioned in my earlier post with the forecast we have this area will flood well before the Dock park, you just wouldn't want to be disturb during the night when you've had a pint or two.

Although it's not the best place my first choice for next week would be Brooms road car park your allowed to park overnight as a few MH are always there, if this place gets flooded then Dumfries is in serious trouble. If I wasn't worried about the flooding (just seen our local forecast) then I would recommend Dock Park and Glencaple as the best two spots but on this occasion I'd go for Brooms road or if your not happy with that you can have my drive.

Many Thanks,
Have sent you a message.

Sep 12, 2014
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Transit coachbuilt
Exp
8years & counting
Have you tried the lochview motel/the inn on the loch just the other side of Crocketford, or there is also brandedleys caravan site in Crocketford but think that is seasonal. Also might be worth contacting the galloway arms also in Crocketford they have a large car park and I think a small site at the back of the hotel.
Crocketford is on the main route from Dumfries to Stranraer.
Cheers Keith.

OP
OP
Barney23
Dec 27, 2013
Haydock
Funster No
MH
Coach build
Exp
Since 2012
Would just like to say thank you to Gerry (Lorger) for helping us.
He met us and took us to Dock Park and even called around later in evening to see if all was ok, and if we werent happy there, he even offered us his driveway to park in, many thanks Gerry.
Hope to meet up again.
Neil & Gill

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back