Don't give me anything complicated to do / LED DRL update (1 Viewer)

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Some time ago a thread talked about changing bulbs on base vehicle to LED

Great idea I decided, my DRL's are early spec and are still using standard bulbs 12V 21W, which also makes them very hot, so much so that the bulb holders are scorching and going brittle

Couple that with the known issue with Hymer lights shattering it seemed a no brainer

Two months ago I bought the LED bulbs from our local factors, with their assurance that they wouldn't cause bulb failure warning lights, as some LEDs apparently can, today I eventually get round to fitting them

The bulbs are not easy to get to, but compared to some other components (turbo) a relative doddle, provided you can do it by touch and guesswork. But I did find them and swapped the bulbs, turned the ignition on to check bulbs worked before I refitted them, then went to refit, as the bulb approached the holder (I was looking from the outside) I noticed the light flicker, had a combined thought of maybe it's not quite in securely and wouldn't it be a bugger if it fell off inside the light, then .....................

IMG_1385.JPG

now that photo might not be obvious to all of you, but it is as bad as others of you might think, that is the bulb not connected to its holder sat in a sealed light unit, the bulb only just fitted through the hole so although I could get a finger in and rotate it that was never going to sort it

I have a magnetised screwdriver, more by incorrect use than design I think, tried that, nothing:(

Went round to neighbour who couldn't find his long magnet tool, but we decided double sided tape wrapped round a screwdriver would get it, it doesn't:(

So drove down to a mate who has one of everything ever sold to work on cars, long magnet first, bulb would appear not to be made of metal, checked with another on his bench, they aren't !!:( or at least not enough

He then found a grab thingy, I tried that but nothing to really get hold of :(

So now looks like we need to remove light unit and shake it out :eek:

Mark now takes control, comes out with the longest snipe pliers I have ever seen and gets it first try (y)o_O

He then offers to fit bulbs for me having watched me struggle to even relocate the loose cable, :)gesture gratefully accepted by me,:) all sorted 3 minutes after he gets involved, nearly 2 hours of my attempts just to get it back out, they look good too, brighter blue / white light, but less intense than 21W and no warning lights

Ours is an 06/07 Mercedes chassis :)(y)

It really should only have taken me 5 minutes as well, I am constantly unimpressed by my own inadequacies :LOL::LOL:

Last edited:

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
If I were you, I'd buy some long -nose pliers!
Glad you got it sorted
Cheers, Dave(y)

Wilderbeast

Free Member
Jan 20, 2012
Stockton on tees
Funster No
MH
"Hymer duomobil" B634 SL
Exp
Since 2011
Glad you are sorted.
This is something I have been thinking about for a while but unsure as to the direct replacement type I need ,the bulbs fitted are 12v/21 watt which I assume are the same as yours.
What type are the ones you have fitted?
Thanks D

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Glad you are sorted.
This is something I have been thinking about for a while but unsure as to the direct replacement type I need ,the bulbs fitted are 12v/21 watt which I assume are the same as yours.
What type are the ones you have fitted?
Thanks D

The package has 2 numbers

382 LED and BA15S

The young lad on the counter initially tried to pass me off with a 12V 21/5W equivalent which is the tail / stop light bulb and has different lug positions, telling me they were both the same, he knows differently now :) even I knew the difference

Brand - Guardian Automotive Ltd, I think I paid £5.50 for the pack of 2 bulbs, just cost me 2 bottles of decent wine to get it fitted, (actually to sort out my mess) :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
volvo has been fitting day light running lights for donkeys years

barista

Free Member
Dec 13, 2015
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
Ducato based coach built
Exp

Great idea I decided, my DRL's are early spec and are still using standard bulbs 12V 21W, which also makes them very hot, so much so that the bulb holders are scorching and going brittle

Couple that with the known issue with Hymer lights shattering it seemed a no brainer

Two months ago I bought the LED bulbs from our local factors, with their assurance that they wouldn't cause bulb failure warning lights, as some LEDs apparently can, today I eventually get round to fitting them

The bulbs are not easy to get to, but compared to some other components (turbo) a relative doddle, provided you can do it by touch and guesswork. But I did find them and swapped the bulbs, turned the ignition on to check bulbs worked before I refitted them, then went to refit, as the bulb approached the holder (I was looking from the outside) I noticed the light flicker, had a combined thought of maybe it's not quite in securely and wouldn't it be a bugger if it fell off inside the light, then .....................

View attachment 88317

now that photo might not be obvious to all of you, but it is as bad as others of you might think, that is the bulb not connected to its holder sat in a sealed light unit, the bulb only just fitted through the hole so although I could get a finger in and rotate it that was never going to sort it

I have a magnetised screwdriver, more by incorrect use than design I think, tried that, nothing:(

Went round to neighbour who couldn't find his long magnet tool, but we decided double sided tape wrapped round a screwdriver would get it, it doesn't:(

So drove down to a mate who has one of everything ever sold to work on cars, long magnet first, bulb would appear not to be made of metal, checked with another on his bench, they aren't !!:( or at least not enough

Mark now takes control, comes out with the longest snipe pliers I have ever seen and gets it first try (y)o_O

He then offers to fit bulbs for me having watched me struggle to even relocate the loose cable, :)gesture gratefully accepted by me,:) all sorted 3 minutes after he gets involved, nearly 2 hours of my attempts just to get it back out, they look good too, brighter blue / white light, but less intense than 21W and no warning lights

It really should only have taken me 5 minutes as well, I am constantly unimpressed by my own inadequacies :LOL::LOL:
Hope they're not too blue as need to be predominantly white to pass MOT!

Mr Mousy

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Sep 9, 2013
Llanelli
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840
Exp
First moho 11/2013, second 11/2014 current from 09/2019.
David,
Thank you for the info.
I bought a pair of the same bulbs from eBay and fitted them this afternoon.
For anyone else thinking of swapping their bulbs here is the link...£7.34 including delivery.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GUARDIAN-...384645?hash=item2a5d909c05:g:nZIAAOSwnipWaq8O

Fortunately it was very straight forward as on my Moho the cable to the bulb fitting was long enough for me to bring it within view so I could make sure the bulb was secure in the holder before refitting.

I managed to do the job in about 10 minutes - a major result for me!

IMG_2584.JPG

@DavidG58

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
Since 2012 + Caravanner for 20+ years
You prompted me to do the same, I was surprised to find the grey plastic bulb holder had discoloured quite badly due to heat from the original 21watt tungstun bulb. Changed in time to avoid changing the holder.

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner

View attachment 88317

How many times did you use the "F" word and associated expletives David?

May 6, 2010
Doncaster
Funster No
MH
Exp
April 2010
I had this happen the bulb fell inside sealed headlight unit so I used something we nearly all have after trying lots of different things, the Hoover, put the pipe over the bulb holder hole and it easily had enough suction to remove the bulb from the headlight and held on to it without dropping into the oblivion of the engine bay

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
And big headed techy bod leaps in with totally useless info..

The LED units you fitted have ( by the sound of it ) a colour temperature of 6000K
A more naturally white light would have been 4000k

magnets and lamps
Most lamps have a copper barrel that is then chromed.. neither of which are terribly magnetic ( at least not at about 25 microns thick ! )
Chances are the little attraction you had was the wires and gubbins inside the unit :)

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
And big headed techy bod leaps in with totally useless info..

The LED units you fitted have ( by the sound of it ) a colour temperature of 6000K
A more naturally white light would have been 4000k

magnets and lamps
Most lamps have a copper barrel that is then chromed.. neither of which are terribly magnetic ( at least not at about 25 microns thick ! )
Chances are the little attraction you had was the wires and gubbins inside the unit :)

since when have any DRL's had natural light,:) stupidly bright in many examples, mine are on the white side of 'natural' but better than the 21W sat roughly at drivers eye line o_O that were fitted from new

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Ahh.. It aint about brightness just colour :)
The human eye perceives blue as brighter thats all David (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back