Battery questions (1 Viewer)

Dec 18, 2011
Hull
Funster No
MH
Autotrail 634
Exp
Since 2006
I have 2 x 115 AH banner batteries,about 3 years old.I also have 2 x 100 watt solar panels fitted.In summer everything works fine,obviously thanks mainly to the panels.However in winter I always struggle.On Friday we went with both batteries fully charged.After a couple of hours with very little turned on(All lighting LED)I was down to 12.3 Volta according to the IManager display.Are the batteries at fault do you think.After 3 years are they ready to be replaced?If so can anyone recommend a better alternative type,make size etc.I seem to spend most of my time monitoring the voltage!The boss wants to know why she can't watch TV without me moaning!Any help or advice appreciated.

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
I'm no expert, but unlink the batteries and test them individually.
That'll tell if one is duff :)

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Well 3 years is about how long my last leisure battery lasted before it wouldn't hold charge.
However, 12.3 volts sounds about normal after being used without a charge. Anything over 12v suggests that they are receiving a charge.
How long does it take until the voltage drops below 12?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Camper634
Dec 18, 2011
Hull
Funster No
MH
Autotrail 634
Exp
Since 2006
To be honest they rarely drop below 12 Volts.This morning one was at11.9 but went back up once the load was switched off.They seem to peak at 12.4 when they have been off charge for a couple of hours.I thought they would be at 12.7 for quite a while but drop to 12.3 after about 2 hours with little load.

OP
OP
Camper634
Dec 18, 2011
Hull
Funster No
MH
Autotrail 634
Exp
Since 2006
I only bought the Banner batteries because someone on here recommended them!!Can you suggest a more reliable make please??

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
Have you measured the batteries across their posts which will help verify your Imanager display reading. This would be my starting point.

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
Since 2012 + Caravanner for 20+ years
In post no1 you say you went with batteries fully charged.
If that was via mains then OK, but if via solar at this time of year although voltage may have shown 12.7 or so I doubt the solar have fully charged the batteries at this time of year.
Perhaps charge batteries fully on mains, disconnect for 24 hours, and then apply 5amp load ( say headlight bulb) and check voltage of battery every 30mins. It will soon give you a good idea if batteries are good or not.

OP
OP
Camper634
Dec 18, 2011
Hull
Funster No
MH
Autotrail 634
Exp
Since 2006
In post no1 you say you went with batteries fully charged.
If that was via mains then OK, but if via solar at this time of year although voltage may have shown 12.7 or so I doubt the solar have fully charged the batteries at this time of year.
Perhaps charge batteries fully on mains, disconnect for 24 hours, and then apply 5amp load ( say headlight bulb) and check voltage of battery every 30mins. It will soon give you a good idea if batteries are good or not.

Yes it was from a decent mains charger.Fully charged when i set off and also charged from alternator for around 40 miles.By bedtime(11 PM for us!)one hours Avtex TV very little lighting,showing 12.3 on one and 12.4 on the other.thanks for your suggestion regarding load test,will do.Dont mind buying new batteries if the others are now US.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Banner batteries are crap mine lasted barely 18 months and failed when wilding in the Pyrenees.
We now have deep cycle traction batteries as recommended by @jonandshell.
3 years on massive use months on end off hookup and still going strong.
No more expensive than so called leisure batteries but a damn site better.
Good luck(y)

OP
OP
Camper634
Dec 18, 2011
Hull
Funster No
MH
Autotrail 634
Exp
Since 2006
Banner batteries are crap mine lasted barely 18 months and failed when wilding in the Pyrenees.
We now have deep cycle traction batteries as recommended by @jonandshell.
3 years on massive use months on end off hookup and still going strong.
No more expensive than so called leisure batteries but a damn site better.
Good luck(y)

Do you have a link to the ones you bought please?

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
watching... :)
I have 2 x 110amp banners, starting to drop fast now..
One is original at 4 years old, the other was added a few months after new..
Interesting to see what people recommend as Banner always got recommended a lot in the past..

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
I note others say Banner batteries are crap without quantifying what they mean. The fact's speak differently and it's dependant on what Banner battery you buy and the application you use it in. 1.e. Some Banner leisure batteries are not designed for long term use 'off grid' and rely on frequent 'hook up' to maintain them in good condition. Other Banner batteries are specifically designed and built for being used mostly 'off grid' and with minimum 'hook up' to maintain them in good condition. Users who purchased the former and then found they did not perform as well as the later would be of the view they were sold a pup and they were in deed crap when in fact they did the job they were built to do.
Last year the NCC started to select various leisure batteries, subject them to detailed test's at an independent test house and publish the results. There are 3 categories.

Category A is for batteries with a higher storage capacity for people who frequently use their touring caravan or motorhome away from an electrical hook-up:
Category B batteries are aimed at those who frequently use sites with hook-up facilities, but require a greater battery capacity to operate devices such as motor movers:
Category C batteries are for users that require a lower capacity battery to cover basic operation of their habitation equipment for short periods away from an electrical hook-up:
Banner have had some of their batteries selected and tested and have met both Class A and Class C (Starter batteries included). As more batteries are tested more results will become available.
The link to the NCC Scheme is below, including a download link part way down the page for the results they have published so far.

There is also a copy in the Resources section.

Broken Link Removed.

I found myself in a similar situation that you find yourself, in that my leisure batteries were indicating full which was in fact the input from the Solar Panel and at night my alarms were going off warning me my voltage was very low yet I was not using many appliances. My batteries were 4.1/2 years old and had just completed 40 odd days off grid in Morocco where everything went well. The batteries had reached the end of their useful cycles and were simply worn out. I would suggest before you replace your batteries, do a drop test on them to establish if they are still good. It does sound to me as if they have about had it. Get them fully charged, disconnect from Solar Panels , or cover solar panels. Let them settle for a few hours then apply a known load for a few hours then remove load and see how well they recover.
Best of luck and Safe Travels

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Well I have no expertise about leisure batteries or any forms of electrickery so when I wanted new batteries I phoned the so called experts and described my needs and my vans set up.
On their advise based on the information I gave them they sold me 2 nice new 115 amp Banner Leisure Batteries which as I said in the previous post failed miserably at 18 months old.:(
After that experience I moved to deep cycle again as said in previous post and have had no problems since.:)
Can only speak from personal experience and hard lessons.(y)

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I note others say Banner batteries are crap without quantifying what they mean. The fact's speak differently and it's dependant on what Banner battery you buy and the application you use it in. 1.e. Some Banner leisure batteries are not designed for long term use 'off grid' and rely on frequent 'hook up' to maintain them in good condition. Other Banner batteries are specifically designed and built for being used mostly 'off grid' and with minimum 'hook up' to maintain them in good condition. Users who purchased the former and then found they did not perform as well as the later would be of the view they were sold a pup and they were in deed crap when in fact they did the job they were built to do.
Last year the NCC started to select various leisure batteries, subject them to detailed test's at an independent test house and publish the results. There are 3 categories.

Category A is for batteries with a higher storage capacity for people who frequently use their touring caravan or motorhome away from an electrical hook-up:
Category B batteries are aimed at those who frequently use sites with hook-up facilities, but require a greater battery capacity to operate devices such as motor movers:
Category C batteries are for users that require a lower capacity battery to cover basic operation of their habitation equipment for short periods away from an electrical hook-up:
Banner have had some of their batteries selected and tested and have met both Class A and Class C (Starter batteries included). As more batteries are tested more results will become available.
The link to the NCC Scheme is below, including a download link part way down the page for the results they have published so far.

There is also a copy in the Resources section.

Broken Link Removed.

I found myself in a similar situation that you find yourself, in that my leisure batteries were indicating full which was in fact the input from the Solar Panel and at night my alarms were going off warning me my voltage was very low yet I was not using many appliances. My batteries were 4.1/2 years old and had just completed 40 odd days off grid in Morocco where everything went well. The batteries had reached the end of their useful cycles and were simply worn out. I would suggest before you replace your batteries, do a drop test on them to establish if they are still good. It does sound to me as if they have about had it. Get them fully charged, disconnect from Solar Panels , or cover solar panels. Let them settle for a few hours then apply a known load for a few hours then remove load and see how well they recover.
Best of luck and Safe Travels

Cheers... BUT "FILE NOT FOUND" :(

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Its a minefield a we will all recommend a different battery......

How True ! Too many sales people will give you the 'PITCH' just to clinch that sale. At last we may have some light at the end of the tunnel with this scheme and buyers will be more informed than in the past.

scottie

Free Member
Mar 2, 2013
chandlers ford
Funster No
MH
Astec Devon 2008
Exp
July 2012
Thanks everyone for the info provided on this post. I am about to replace my leisure battery on my Devon Astec, battery rated at 110amp hour. Banner seemed to come up as the correct replacement, abit a bit more expensive than other makes, and they offer 3/4 year guarantee. I was hoping to upgrade to 135/140 amp hour, as I have the physical space in the van to do a straight replacement. I have a split battery charger in place as well. My question is, do I need to upgrade my cabling to take the extra amperage. I also intend to have a solar panel, 100w installed prior to Stratford event Anyone have any experience on the battery upgrade.

Thanks

Scottie

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Just make sure your charging system can deal with the extra Amp/H batteries. I would not think there would be a need for bigger cables if you existing cables are suitable for 110 amp batteries. Check out your user manual. You do not say what charging system is installed so it's a bit of an educated guess.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
According toy bro, a battery fitter, there are only three battery MANUFACTURERS for everyday batteries.
VARTA are #1

All the others are bought in from those three and brand labeled.

Last edited:

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
To be honest they rarely drop below 12 Volts.This morning one was at11.9 but went back up once the load was switched off.They seem to peak at 12.4 when they have been off charge for a couple of hours.I thought they would be at 12.7 for quite a while but drop to 12.3 after about 2 hours with little load.
At 12.2volts your batteries are less than 50% charged and at 11.9 they are dead. They need replaced ASAP and you will see a huge difference.
Mine sit at 12.7volts or more for hours drawing 7/8amps per hour or more.

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
At 12.2volts your batteries are less than 50% charged and at 11.9 they are dead. They need replaced ASAP and you will see a huge difference.
Mine sit at 12.7volts or more for hours drawing 7/8amps per hour or more.
If 12.2 is 50% does that mean 12.4 is full?

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Thanks everyone for the info provided on this post. I am about to replace my leisure battery on my Devon Astec, battery rated at 110amp hour. Banner seemed to come up as the correct replacement, abit a bit more expensive than other makes, and they offer 3/4 year guarantee. I was hoping to upgrade to 135/140 amp hour, as I have the physical space in the van to do a straight replacement. I have a split battery charger in place as well. My question is, do I need to upgrade my cabling to take the extra amperage. I also intend to have a solar panel, 100w installed prior to Stratford event Anyone have any experience on the battery upgrade.

Thanks

Scottie
Cheap as chips delivered
Broken Link Removed

I have 8 :LOL:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries