break pads did you know. (1 Viewer)

D

david1234

Deleted User
Hi me again.
Did you know there,s 5 diffrent front break pads for fiat ducato from 2001 to 2006.
and they are measured in tons 1.8 ton are 165mm long. i know they didnt fit?? mine are 1.4 tons and measure 140mm by 60mm.
so before you order them take a pad out and measure it, it will save messing around back and forth to your local spairs shop.
very easy to change front break pads.
all you need is a good jack wheel brace.
poss 8mm alan key as mine was missing the numbers so not sure on size??
and the alan bolt is hiden behind two black rubber grommets top and bottom of the inside of the calaper. (NOT THE BIG ALAN BOLTS THAT HOLD THE CALAPER HOLDER)
the rears are all the same sizes pads and shoes.
hope this saves someone time as i waited 5 hours for the wrong parts to show up :Angry:

must add dont buy your break pads on ebay or any other place other than a decent spairs supplier as some pads have come from india or else where made of wait for it,

MUD yes compacted with straw harden like a thin house brick and glued to a metal backing plate.
you've been warned.

Last edited by a moderator:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
MUD yes compacted with straw harden like a thin house brick and glued to a metal backing plate.
you've been warned.

sure you're not thinking of Cuba......:ROFLMAO:

very inventive, the Cubans. (through neccessity)

seen 'em make brake fluid from washing up liquid and alcohol and a new wing from an old car roof with handtools:Eeek:

M

Mike-H

Deleted User
Yes, probably will be 8mm, ther are a lot of 8mm allen bolts on the Boxer/Ducato/Relay.

Brake fluid from old brake fluid, alcohol, washing up liquid etc - I saw that episode of Top Gear(?) too.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
D

david1234

Deleted User
Yes, probably will be 8mm, ther are a lot of 8mm allen bolts on the Boxer/Ducato/Relay.

Brake fluid from old brake fluid, alcohol, washing up liquid etc - I saw that episode of Top Gear(?) too.

you could use anything with a high boiling point even water would get u out of trouble or engine oil gear oil etc :ROFLMAO:
the mud bit is true though very rare thank god customs where well on it.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
you could use anything with a high boiling point even water would get u out of trouble or engine oil gear oil etc :ROFLMAO:
the mud bit is true though very rare thank god customs where well on it.

sorry to revive an old thead but......

not wanting to contradict david.:Blush:but it must be said.....

the main cause of brake fluid boiling is water contamination which is why you should never use fluid from an old opened can.
brake fluid is hydroscopic, it absorbs moisture.

engine and gear oil is far to viscous and will attack the seals anyway as will putting in the wrong DOT spec fluid.

Aug 1, 2007
Billingham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2003
I always remove the old pads and take them with me when I go to collect the new ones

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
I always remove the old pads and take them with me when I go to collect the new ones

I sketch around the pads onto an piece of paper and also take/email/fax a print of a digital pic to the motor factor.

In the case of a complex reassembly or wiring problem, it's a great help putting it back together as it was.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back