LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Hi, we are thinking of buying a new sky wifi box and wondered if anyone could answer a couple of questions - without laughing please!

At the moment we are using the modem on an extension telephone cable. We have been having a lot of problems with broadband and the Open reach technician who checked everything said the extension cable could be causing errors on the line. We have an older HD box without the wifi button or WPS, whatever that might be.

My question is will the new wifi sky box mean that we don't have to attach the Ethernet cable? In other words we can put the broadband router across the room next to the telephone point, and still be able to download all the on demand and catch up programs.

When we go to Spain in the motorhome we always take the sky receiver, if we have the wifi sky box can we get on the camp wifi to download catch up and on demand?

Thanks,

Ginny

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Warwick Duo
Exp
Full Time 2011-2013, now part timers!
With a new sky box (or a sky wifi gizmo) you can have the sky box wherever you want it, as it will connect by wifi. When you take your box abroad the wifi is not usually fast enough (as mentioned), and also Sky will know you are not in the uk because of the IP address and that may be in breach of contract? We take our box, but do not connect to wifi, with the view that what they don't know won't hurt them! Hope that helps?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Teasy2007

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
With a new sky box (or a sky wifi gizmo) you can have the sky box wherever you want it, as it will connect by wifi. When you take your box abroad the wifi is not usually fast enough (as mentioned), and also Sky will know you are not in the uk because of the IP address and that may be in breach of contract? We take our box, but do not connect to wifi, with the view that what they don't know won't hurt them! Hope that helps?

That's a good point, I had not thought about that. When we are at home is it just as fast through wifi as it is using ethernet cable?

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Ginny, if you have problems with your B/Band then going down the road of wifi will not help. I would also be weary of using a campsite wifi to download catch up and on demand as 99% of the time it will freeze as they are so slow. Stick with the box you have for now.

OP
OP
Teasy2007

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Ginny, if you have problems with your B/Band then going down the road of wifi will not help. I would also be weary of using a campsite wifi to download catch up and on demand as 99% of the time it will freeze as they are so slow. Stick with the box you have for now.

Happy New Year John, I hope you and Dawn had a good time. How are you both? I have nearly finished all the tests, I have three more days of a 7 day heart monitor test and then back to the consultant. If it's anything like good news we will be off to Spain ASAP.

We don't know what to do about the sky wifi box, having the broadband router where it is is causing problems, according to Bt Openreach, so in the end you have to consider their advice, it certainly can't get any worse. I appreciate that we can't use the wifi in Spain.

Ginny

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Exp
Doing away with the extension should help your broadband speed. We were given a wifi adapter by Sky for our old box. I wonder if you could get one on eBay and try it out before buying a new box?

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Exp
Broken Link Removed

Similar to this - plugs into your sky box and makes it a wifi capable box. No need for the Ethernet cable - that's just an extra.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
For the on demand and catch up programs it is best to keep wired ethernet connection to your TV.
Speed drops off considerably with wifi the further the device is from the router, even more so with faster 5g wifi. I'm on my laptop at the moment and about 30ft from my router speed on 2.4g is 20mb on 5g which should be faster only 10mb, on a wired connection 37mb.

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
Hi, we are thinking of buying a new sky wifi box and wondered if anyone could answer a couple of questions - without laughing please!

At the moment we are using the modem on an extension telephone cable. We have been having a lot of problems with broadband and the Open reach technician who checked everything said the extension cable could be causing errors on the line. We have an older HD box without the wifi button or WPS, whatever that might be.

My question is will the new wifi sky box mean that we don't have to attach the Ethernet cable? In other words we can put the broadband router across the room next to the telephone point, and still be able to download all the on demand and catch up programs.

When we go to Spain in the motorhome we always take the sky receiver, if we have the wifi sky box can we get on the camp wifi to download catch up and on demand?

Thanks,

Ginny
Daughters sky wifi in her bedroom
Is away from the router without connecting cables
And she seems to be able to do whatever without
Needing a lead

We are on Bt fibre though which may help

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Happy New Year John, I hope you and Dawn had a good time. How are you both? I have nearly finished all the tests, I have three more days of a 7 day heart monitor test and then back to the consultant. If it's anything like good news we will be off to Spain ASAP.

We don't know what to do about the sky wifi box, having the broadband router where it is is causing problems, according to Bt Openreach, so in the end you have to consider their advice, it certainly can't get any worse. I appreciate that we can't use the wifi in Spain.

Ginny
We are good Ginny I will email you tomorrow with an update, regards to the old man.

OP
OP
Teasy2007

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Broken Link Removed

Similar to this - plugs into your sky box and makes it a wifi capable box. No need for the Ethernet cable - that's just an extra.

Well that's certainly a better idea than buying a new box I don't need!

Zilevets

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 19, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B704 A Class P/Line
Exp
We have one of those wifi boxes connected to our sky box so we didn't need to change box and it works fine.

Liz

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Ginny. Why not relocate the router on the main master phone socket. Also buy / try a new ADSL filter as these can fail.
Using via an extension is not recommended.
Then use "power line / home plug" adaptors to send signal via the house mains to your TV socket and connect via Ethernet from there to the existing sky box...

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
WiFI means itr can connect to your wifi network at home.
IF the signals are too weak, move your router, or you can get a "wifi booster" or powerline plug to get more signal in to the area that you want.

The first thing the systems do is check the IP address of where yo are connecting to the internet.
Connect from within the UK and your UK IP address is OK.
Connect outside the UK< in Spain for example, and your Spanish IP internet address will cause the on demand content to be blocked.
YOu get around this using a VPN or Smart DNS on a router. Set that router to connect to the internet system on the site, and your sky box (via Ethernet or wifi) to that VPN running router. The VPN allows you make it look as if you are "connecting" to the internet from the UK.

OP
OP
Teasy2007

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
I have moved the router to the telephone point and the broadband speed is worse than ever. I have been given access to the settings at Ee and according to that there is 8.57 going into the router. I only have 1.80 coming out !

I have altered the settings from auto to 6 and then 8 but it does not improve.

What can I be doing wrong, or is it the router - a point the BT engineer said it could be. I have my previous BT router, is it possible to use that router but with the EE user name and password, it's about the only thing I haven't tried, other than ringing EE yet again and telling them I'm moving my broadband.

The BT engineer said EE often 'cap' the speed coming out of the router, I must admit we never had a problem until we went to EE.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Some routers can be reprogrammed, others can not as they are locked by the provider. Some can be unlocked by installing new software.. A tricky one..
Option 3 is buy your own router and enter all the EE details...

Ginny, I might have an EE router, will go check in a bit... You would need to know how to access it and re-enteer your own details.

OP
OP
Teasy2007

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks Steve I'm getting really fed up with it at the moment. Did you see my pm? I asked if you were selling a sky HD Wifi receiver or one of those little sky wifi boxes ?

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Thanks Steve I'm getting really fed up with it at the moment. Did you see my pm? I asked if you were selling a sky HD Wifi receiver or one of those little sky wifi boxes ?

yes and i replied... Or i think i did...

Confirmed.. replied at 2.06pm..

EE ROUTER... One here if you want it.. But as mentioned you will need to know how to reprogram with your own details..

Attachments

• DSC_0183.JPG
    DSC_0183.JPG
    84.6 KB · Views: 7

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Hi Peter, yes when all the tests are done we will be heading for Spain, we can't wait. How long will you be at Bonterra?

We hope you had a good New Year and wish all the family the best for 2016.

Hi Mike yes we there April n May no rally there this year all finished. Pete

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back