Baker69

Free Member
Jul 12, 2009
Worcestershire
Funster No
Exp
6 Months
Hi all,

The previous owner of our MH has fitted a 12 Volt LCD TV which is operated via a Mains Adaptor. (The adaptor has a 12 Volt-out plug which goes in the back of the TV).

If we wanted to is there any reason why we couldn't run the TV direct from the 12 Volt socket in the MH instead of having to plug into Mains electricity? :Confused:

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
As you may discover there are two camps here, the yes run direct it'll be fine and the, well, paranoid camp, which would be me amoungst others.

We use an Amperor 12 volt 12 volt smoothing/anti surge device just for piece of mind. Starting as we did with an old RV the voltage range could be quite dramatic on the hab side hence I suppose the paranod factor, a question of preference.

These widgets are about £40 quid, eBay being a source.

Si.

S

sinbad1

Deleted User
I agree with dogey best not to risk damage due to voltages that are not within the recommended range for the TV.

[ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Amperor-LCD-Volt-Stabiliser-Regulator/dp/B000ZLRXG8"]click here[/ame]

just make sue the input 12V plug is the same and also the polarity.

regards

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited by a moderator:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
You won't get over voltage or spikes if your not on hook up .. ie, battery not being charged, so you could run on the 12v then use the mains adapter when on EHU ..

I'm in the non paranoid camp .. :roflmto:

jim

Gonewiththewind

Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
Exp
July 2007
I'm Green powered so never go on EHU. I found that my LCD TV was very sensitive to power and when the power started to drop, TV would switch off. Got a 12 volt Stabilizer from maplin and all is fine. The sky box runs direct from the 12 volt circuit.
Hope that helps.

Don

OP
OP
B

Baker69

Free Member
Jul 12, 2009
Worcestershire
Funster No
Exp
6 Months
Thanks for the advice guys, it has given me something to think about.

I think the voltage stabiliser thing seems like a good idea.

Sep 23, 2007
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 and many as a tugger
I'm Green powered so never go on EHU. I found that my LCD TV was very sensitive to power and when the power started to drop, TV would switch off. Got a 12 volt Stabilizer from maplin and all is fine. The sky box runs direct from the 12 volt circuit.
Hope that helps.

Don

Hi Don do you know the part number of the stabiliser or have link.

Andy

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
Hope that helps.

Don

I'm in agreement, with my own 12v lcd TV I have found that if I run it on 12v direct and there is any kind of 12v use that dips the supply under the 12v level, a surge in other words from water pump, steps or even lights when the batteries are getting down a bit, the TV switches itself off, So i run the TV of a very small but dedicated inverter.

Doug...

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hope that helps.

Don

Hi Don

I would be wary of discharging below 12v .. when the telly goes off I think it's telling you something .. :winky:

jim

Gonewiththewind

Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
Exp
July 2007
Quite agree Jim, thats why I run on a stabilizer, never allow the battery below 12.1, but only get that low in winter (short days and long nights) Solo camper so no woman to keep me occupied:ROFLMAO: if you understand my meaning.

Don

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back