Leisure Battery not charging (1 Viewer)

Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
Just checking over Motorhome and found leisure battery absolutly dead no electrics in habitation area and control panel not working. It was all ok last weekend and for last six months. Starting the engine blew the fuse which is fitted in line on positive feed. Have replaced the battery with a new one and fuse and now electric working in the back. However, when I start the engine the control panel and electrics do not work although the fuse does not blow. Checked all fuses I can see are ok.
Any ideas?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
there isnt a fault, thats the way its designed.

for some reason most eurovans cut power to the hab area when the engine is running.

the leisure battery will be charging and the fridge will still work though.

it probably blow the fuse because of the current surge from the engine trying to put charge into a totally dead battery.....the current needed would be much, much higher than normal and the fuse would blow.
maybe needing 50/60amps or more and only a 25amp fuse in line.

S

sinbad1

Deleted User
Just checking over Motorhome and found leisure battery absolutly dead no electrics in habitation area and control panel not working. It was all ok last weekend and for last six months. Starting the engine blew the fuse which is fitted in line on positive feed. Have replaced the battery with a new one and fuse and now electric working in the back. However, when I start the engine the control panel and electrics do not work although the fuse does not blow. Checked all fuses I can see are ok.
Any ideas?

In my case the control pannel is disabled when the engine starts, think you will find that this is the case for most motorhomes

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Mr Colpot
Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
Thanks Guys, I guess I've only looked at it without the Engine running. I have just checked and indeed, the battery is charging when the engine is running and the panel is disabled. I guess I just need to find out why the old battery went dead in a week, when it hasnt before......

Baker69

Free Member
Jul 12, 2009
Worcestershire
Funster No
Exp
6 Months
Thanks Guys, I guess I've only looked at it without the Engine running. I have just checked and indeed, the battery is charging when the engine is running and the panel is disabled. I guess I just need to find out why the old battery went dead in a week, when it hasnt before......

I thought the vehicle only charges the Leisure Battery if the Panel Switch is Enabled not Disabled, or am I getting confused?

In my recent Newbie posting regarding battery Charging of the Leisure Battery my Battery wasn't being charged at all because the Panel switch was disabled.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
the engine charges the leisure battery regardless of the panel switch position.
the switch needs to be set to either engine OR leisure when using the onboard mains charger.

Baker69

Free Member
Jul 12, 2009
Worcestershire
Funster No
Exp
6 Months
the engine charges the leisure battery regardless of the panel switch position.

Mine doesn't Pappajohn, which is why the Leisure Battery was flat. Hooked up to the mains with the charger on and the rocker switch set to the leisure battery position it has worked and charged the battery.

I'm assuming therefore that on mine that I have to set the rocker switch to the leisure battery position when the engine is running in order to charge it?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Mine doesn't Pappajohn, which is why the Leisure Battery was flat. Hooked up to the mains with the charger on and the rocker switch set to the leisure battery position it has worked and charged the battery.

I'm assuming therefore that on mine that I have to set the rocker switch to the leisure battery position when the engine is running in order to charge it?

check it with your volt meter on the leisure battery before starting the engine, noting the reading, then with the engine running, note the reading, it should be higher, maybe 14v or more but higher anyway. if its the same then i have a feeling it could be the charge relay thats not working which would explain the dead battery.

when you start the engine it switches a relay under the bonnet to allow the leisure battery to charge from the engine.

i never move mine off leisure unless i want to charge the engine battery from EHU.

Last edited:

Baker69

Free Member
Jul 12, 2009
Worcestershire
Funster No
Exp
6 Months
I'll check it out tomorrow thanks.

There is a small relay in the bottom of the wardrobe (near the charger), could that be the relay you mean or will it definitely be in the Engine Compartment?

I feel I might have difficulty in identifying this relay if it is under the bonnet, unless any Swift/Ducati owners on here can help?

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I'll check it out tomorrow thanks.

There is a small relay in the bottom of the wardrobe (near the charger), could that be the relay you mean or will it definitely be in the Engine Compartment?

I feel I might have difficulty in identifying this relay if it is under the bonnet, unless any Swift/Ducati owners on here can help?

the one you mention will be the cut-out relay to disable the 12v leisure side(lights, pump and sockets) while the engine is running. mines also in the wardrobe below the charger.

the one you may want will be near the battery. its voltage sensed so need to be near the alternator/battery.

on the kontiki its just above the engine battery fixed to the inner wing....there may be two side by side...one for charge and one for the fridge 12v while driving or it could be a twin contact single unit.

Last edited:

Baker69

Free Member
Jul 12, 2009
Worcestershire
Funster No
Exp
6 Months
the one you mention will be the cut-out relay to disable the 12v leisure side(lights, pump and sockets) while the engine is running. mines also in the wardrobe below the charger.

the one you may want will be near the battery. its voltage sensed so need to be near the alternator/battery.

on the kontiki its just above the engine battery fixed to the inner wing....there may be two side by side...one for charge and one for the fridge 12v while driving or it could be a twin contact single unit.

Hi Pappajohn,

I've just tested it out again, after an overnight rest the battery is registering at 12.34 Volts.

Started the engine and tested the battery with the Engine running and it went up to 13.96 Volts so it looks like the Relay is working ok. I did try the switches and as you say it does charge the Lesure Battery regardless of the switch position.

I don't know why the Leisure Battery had dropped so much in power if it is receiving a charge from the Engine, however we have only gone on short trips so far, so if the Battery was really run down when we picked it up it probably hasn't had sufficient time to become charged.

I think that's all we can do on it for now and I'll see how it copes while we're away. We're planning on going up to the Lakes then going East across country to Whitby and then Scarborough, which I believe is your neck of the woods???!!!

Thanks for all your help to date anyway. :thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
this chart should give you an idea of the battery condition and i'd say yours was around 65% to 70% charged after an overnight charge which isnt too good really.
leave it for 6 hours off charge then check voltage and compere to the chart.....ignore the top 5 lines.

Baker69

Free Member
Jul 12, 2009
Worcestershire
Funster No
Exp
6 Months
Hi Pappajohn,

No, what I said was that the Battery had been rested overnight, i.e. without being on charge so it had been off-charge for about 13 hours in total.

As it was showing 12.34 volts this morning after the load test I did last night and being 13 hours off-charge I don't think it did too badly. :thumb:

I agree with you, I do think it needs another lengthy charge before the weekend to get the utmost out of it, then hopefully the Fiat will keep it topped up on the journey and between stay-overs.

I'll have a look at the chart you've posted thanks.

Baker69

Free Member
Jul 12, 2009
Worcestershire
Funster No
Exp
6 Months
Possibly, if worst comes to the worst I'll have to invest in a new one and carry this one as a spare.

It looks like the cupboard has been designed such as to carry 2 x 85ah Batteries, I would prefer to go for something like we had on the Caravan which was a 110ah Maintenance free one, so I may have to have a look at modifying the housing frame.

expatista

Free Member
Jul 17, 2011
Oxford
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam
Exp
Hello,

I am new to the forum and relatively new to MH. I am having a similar problem with my leisure battery. I just had the mechanic take a look while doing the MOT. He said that the battery has a charge and he was able to charge it by disconnecting it and hooking up to his battery charger in his shop.

However, when the engine is not running I cannot turn on any of the lights in the cabin or run the pump. When I press the button to check the battery on the control panel I only get one light or led, meaning the battery is nearly dead. When I hook the MH up to the mains it doesn't seem to charge or maybe I need to leave it connected for longer but I left it connect all day. When the engine is running I can turn on the lights or run the pump without any problems. I assume this is because the alternator is providing the 12v. Everything works fine when the MH is connected to the mains as well. So I assume there must be a blown fuse or relay as the mechanic said the battery is ok. Does anyone know a engineer in Oxford I could visit to help sort this out or anything I could try? I have a Trigano Rollerteam Autoroller 3 year 2005.

Many thanks,
Andrew

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I assume this is because the alternator is providing the 12v. Everything works fine when the MH is connected to the mains as well. So I assume there must be a blown fuse or relay as the mechanic said the battery is ok.

Andrew

I would concur with the blown fuse or relay fault. .. if it is blown then there will also be no 12v to the fridge (when engine running ), as they are on a common relay and fuse..

Check the main fuse on the wire coming from the alternator feeding the spit charge and fridge relay ..

Relay and fuse usually located in the engine bay, look for an in-line fuse, sometimes taped onto the original wiring loom .. if that is ok, then, it may be the relay .. with engine running check the voltage into the relay.. if ok, check the output ( if unsure ask an auto leccy to do this ..

Check the fuse first, it is quite a common problem.

expatista

Free Member
Jul 17, 2011
Oxford
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam
Exp
Ok thank you very much for your response. I will check to see if the fridge works on the 12V setting while the engine is running then try to locate this fuse attached to the wiring loom. Hopefully it is just the fuse as we are headed to Italy on Friday!

expatista

Free Member
Jul 17, 2011
Oxford
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam
Exp
I checked the fridge with the engine running and it worked. It may be on a separate relay though. I remember the previous owner saying he had a new board installed a ran a relay. My memory isn't what it used to be :Smile:. I looked for the wire in the engine bay that split and I think I found it but it is encased in a plastic hose. The mechanic that did the MOT said there 13.5 or 13.8 volts when the engine was running so I would assume that the alternator is ok. He though that a "good run" would charge the leisure battery. I will be doing that run this weekend so we'll see if the alternator charges the leisure battery. Doesn't explain why it doesn't charge when connected to the mains. I think I located the charger. It looks like a computer power supply underneath the drivers seat. I'll report what I figure out.
Thx

mark lock

Free Member
Jan 26, 2015
Bristol uk
Funster No
MH
bessacarr e560
Exp
since 2009
I got the same problem with my 2007 bessacarr e560 leisure battery and panel dead have replaced leisure battery charger but still nothing any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back