LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
What a fantastic bit of kit for those with good campsite wifi. My 1.5 metre dish is now redundant as I can watch TV and movies via my laptop, smartphone or tablet without wires trailing all over the place on my TV screen.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Got one yesterday from Currys, stream movies thro my Samsung Android phone fantastic bit of kit.:xThumb:
Just watched Martian.:xgrin:
Needed a work around as Chromecast wouldn't accept the server but my geeky friend knew a fix.:xgrin:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
I think the crucial words above are "good campsite wifi".

In my experience many campsite wifi systems leave an awful lot to be desired, and if you get much more than 500kbps reliably you are doing well. Since that is less than a decent streaming picture requires (about 5 mbps for HD) I wouldn't throw away the sat dish just yet!

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Am on 6 mbps with my own antenna. Coincidently we watched Martian last night.

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Fair point.... NO... :)
BUT... They are great in downtown Cannock.. LOL
Sorry my friend, but when you return to Benidorm, pack your Chromecast and leave your stick at home.

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Works fine in Portugal, can't say about Spain
Not on the things you pay for in the UK it doesn't ie, Netflix. Am not sure about the sports channels as I get all the information I need from my sports correspondent in Portugal.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Not on the things you pay for in the UK it doesn't ie, Netflix. Am not sure about the sports channels as I get all the information I need from my sports correspondent in Portugal.
Sorry but you are wrong, I spent three weeks in my mates villa in Portugal in November and he gets all his tv off a firestick.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Sorry but you are wrong, I spent three weeks in my mates villa in Portugal in November and he gets all his tv off a firestick.

Was it a standard or modified firestick?

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
We have Chromecast & Roku at home, Roku is content provider agnostic and has wide choice - all the standard terrestrial channel players, Netflix, Amazon, now tv etc. But I think Chromecast has some plus points if on Android as opposed to IOS.

Of course Roku isn't a kodi fire stick...

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000

??? PAY FOR !!!
:rofl::rofl:

They say Google is your friend but KODI is your best mate :whistle2: :wink:

homercostello

Free Member
Jul 11, 2010
kidsgrove staffs
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs globetrotter
Exp
9 years
Kodi for me binned my sky and now watch everything for free. You do need a little tech knowledge to get the best results.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Could never get my head round chomecast, what does it actually do, all I could get was to find stuff on my tablet then send it to the tv through it, but couldn't get it to do anything on its own , it's lieing at the back of the tv now been replaced with a firestick that does everything on its own, no comparison.
Even if you only use the Amazon side of it without kodi it's still way ahead of chomecast.

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Could never get my head round chomecast, what does it actually do, all I could get was to find stuff on my tablet then send it to the tv through it, but couldn't get it to do anything on its own , it's lieing at the back of the tv now been replaced with a firestick that does everything on its own, no comparison.
Even if you only use the Amazon side of it without kodi it's still way ahead of chomecast.
What it does is transfer whatever is on your device directly to you TV screen. If for example you are streaming a movie on your smartphone or laptop, you can watch it on your 60inch TV.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
So if you have a Chromecast, don't buy an Amazon Firestick (especially if you have to pay 'extra' to have it preinstalled)...
...just download Kodi for free onto your phone, tablet or laptop and you're food to go with all that pirated content at half the price :xrofl:.

I have Chromecast, Kodi but still prefer the old fashioned download & HDMI cable :xlaugh::xlaugh::xlaugh:.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
What it does is transfer whatever is on your device directly to you TV screen. If for example you are streaming a movie on your smartphone or laptop, you can watch it on your 60inch TV.
Thats it ,that's what mine did, the firestick does all that without a device, it's all contained in the stick with a remote.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Honestly, for anyone who hasn't seen a firestick in operation , you just don't know what you are missing , no faffing about with chromcast or downloading anything to PCs , tablet or phone or anything else, just plug it in your hdmi put some battery's in your remote and you have tv from the world all films that have ever been made , live sport, at your finger tips, it's actually unbelievable till you try it.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
My son is over from the US. He has a Slingbox at home in the US and a Chromecast with his phone here which lets him use his home controls on screen to watch his US TV in Watford. I thought that was clever but then I'm easily impressed, we have been watching his US film channels too. :xThumb:

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
My son is over from the US. He has a Slingbox at home in the US and a Chromecast with his phone here which lets him use his home controls on screen to watch his US TV in Watford. I thought that was clever but then I'm easily impressed, we have been watching his US film channels too. :xThumb:

I watch all my Football on live streaming through Chromecast
and usually NBC from America

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back