question re fiamma canopy (1 Viewer)

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Have always camped, caravaned or had boats. Now in our second year with the motorhome.
question 3:
The manual states something like that our canopy is a sun canopy and not for "weather" well it looks pretty darned waterproof to me so..............

do you generally leave it up or quickly roll it up if it rains
do you leave it up all night or roll it up in case it gets windy
do you fit guy ropes (doesnt appear to be any eyelets for em)
if it gets wet will it come to any harm rolled up till the next week or like a tent will it need airing

ips

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
question 3:
The manual states something like that our canopy is a sun canopy and not for "weather" well it looks pretty darned waterproof to me so..............
do you generally leave it up or quickly roll it up if it rains
do you leave it up all night or roll it up in case it gets windy
do you fit guy ropes (doesnt appear to be any eyelets for em)
if it gets wet will it come to any harm rolled up till the next week or like a tent will it need airing
ips

Had a 4.5 metre version on my last caravan.
1. They are very waterproof.
2. If you're gonna leave it up, make sure its well pegged down, preferably with a storm strap as well.
Never, ever leave it up unattended. gusts can come from nowhere and destreoy them in seconds..........been there1:Blush:
Personally, we used to put it away at night rather than lie awake at the sound of the slightest breeze. We may have been panicking for nothing..........but is it worth taking the risk?
Putting them away wet wont really hurt for a week or 2, but they do get mucky with midew etc. soon as the weather dries, open it up to dry it off.

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
We fitted the 4 meter one to our old Dodge, made me laugh.

As you, I read the manual re dry use only but carried on to the if it's raining set one side lower than the other for dranage. If there is wind do as Zasker said fit the storm strap, Fiamma do one which curiously is/was shown on the box fitted to one of these.
The final that made me chuckle, included in the 4 meter kit is 'the storm rafter', to be fitted if the winds up or it rains!

Logic needs to prevail, but as long as the wind wasn't up to much we often used ours as weather protection, but it each to thier own, and you could get caught out.

I did end up diving out in the middle of the night as I'd misgudged the wind, but they are quick enough to stow even at 3am. Even with the rafter and a down angle we managed a healthy puddle in the fabric once too, but it all survived.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
ips

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Have always camped, caravaned or had boats. Now in our second year with the motorhome.
Zascar / dodgey
Many thanks you seem to have confirmed what I thought................the manual is rubbish.::bigsmile:
We used it for the first time 2 wks ago on our maiden voyage for 2 nights. The wind never really got up but we did have terrantial rain which ran off very nicely. Think I will roll it up over night but not be too bothered about it getting wet during the day, seems to be way more waterproof than any tent or awning I have ever had. :thumb:

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
The one thing I have found is that if you have to roll up while its still wet and you leave for a length of time then mildew can form and if it does its almost impossible to get the stains off.

Doug...

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
dont forget to lower one end of the awning by 6 or 7 inches to allow water to run off....

i made the mistake of not doing so in spain......a flash downpour while we were out and it filled up quick.
id say maybe 30liters of water sat on the canopy when we got back.:whatthe:

tie-down kits.....put the straps over the two main arms NOT over the top of the fabric, it will rip it to pieces:Doh:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Hi ips

Have been very carefull with awnings since a years ago while on holiday in England we had been out for the day,on return a total of about 10/15 awnings had been blown over the vans, both caravans and motorhomes.:Eeek::Eeek: It turned out sudden large gusts of wind had done the damage in less than 5 mins. We had seen nothing of the winds and had only been a few miles away. So be carefull

Dave

savantuk

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Cumbria, Lake district UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
30 years.
I've had Fiamma Omnistor awnings on both of my last vans.

Unless I'm pretty certain that the wind is going to be very very strong, I never bother to retract mine. I may have been lucky!

I ALWAYS use the omnistor tape style awning hold down (the adjustable type with a spring attached to absorb shock), pulled as tight as it will go, even if the weather is fair. I always peg down the legs as well.

Before I close the van for the night, i drop the awning as far as it will go, leaving one corner a little lower than the other.

I would be a little more circumspect if the van was on a very exposed site, with little cover, but in general use, I've found the awning to be as solid as a rock.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Hi

You can get black or yellow tie down straps and plates for the legs, all on website under Fiamma accessories, better to phone so you get your FUN discount:thumb:

Peter

Col447

Free Member
Aug 24, 2007
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Waiting for delivery !!!!
Exp
3rd M/H
Worst dammage I have seen, was caused by the wind. It ripped the mounting plates off of a bus and left 2 holes right through the side. After seeing the pictures, I always made sure that at night or when I wasn't there I put it away.:Doh:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back