Spooky or not? (1 Viewer)

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
Over that past 4 years travelling over the same stretch of road - the A303, perhaps 5 times the van's engine management light has come on, the revs have dropped and laboured on the accelerator. If I stop, turn off the engine and restart, the problem goes away. 2 or perhaps 3 times it has been on the eastern side of the stretch by Stonehenge, and twice in the last few days, once in each direction, it was a few miles further east. I've travelled thousands of miles at home and on the continent without this problem occurring.

A friend has just pointed out that this area is along the Salisbury Plain which has certain Army and other military communications installations, and who knows what else.

What do you think?

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
wierd, my wife used to work at Barsely and comute daily from doncaster (same road same route daily)

she experianced severail "lost codes " on the keyfob, and had problems with the ecu on her cmax deisel, we swapped cars and she used my xtrail and had ecu problems on that, whilst I had her car it had no problems and i never experainced them on the xtrail. we finally fixed the problem she got a job in our home town..solved

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
I used to have all my BMW brakes warning lights come on, every time I left my sons house (within 20 yards) - never anywhere else. I had to turn the car of to reset them. That was always spooky. Never found the answer and it eventually stopped doing it.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Over that past 4 years travelling over the same stretch of road - the A303, perhaps 5 times the van's engine management light has come on, the revs have dropped and laboured on the accelerator. If I stop, turn off the engine and restart, the problem goes away. 2 or perhaps 3 times it has been on the eastern side of the stretch by Stonehenge, and twice in the last few days, once in each direction, it was a few miles further east. I've travelled thousands of miles at home and on the continent without this problem occurring.

A friend has just pointed out that this area is along the Salisbury Plain which has certain Army and other military communications installations, and who knows what else.

What do you think?
It must just be coincidence, otherwise the roadside would be littered with other vehicles having the same problem.

OP
OP
Dorwyn
Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
Of course,but it could be that my van is sensitive or tuned to whatever. It's a fairly big coincidence.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
I took our boat alongside a submarine moored in the Dart once, only to find that once we got close all the electronics switched off and the (petrol) engine stopped. As we drifted past the electrics came back on and I was able to restart the engine. Some kind of Navy blocking device? I thought they were just sci-fi inventions till then.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Of course,but it could be that my van is sensitive or tuned to whatever. It's a fairly big coincidence.
@Dorwyn we live not 6miles north of Amesbury never had any electronic problems on the van.Sounds a bit like UFO's or the lay lines to me:xdoh:
:xrofl:

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2008
Cromer norfolk
Funster No
MH
Bailey approach 745
Exp
since 2002
Just had to travel on A12 into Gorleston from Great Yarmouth for 7days every
Time I passed a pole with several antenna on I Had warning light come on with message, front radar obstructed. This happened going in both directions so could only put it down to the radio signals.

OP
OP
Dorwyn
Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
I shall be going along the same stretch of road a few times in the next few weeks, we'll see. I normally take a different route, but Salisbury town is a nightmare at sales time, and at most other times. Of course there a plenty of other explanations, but I have had the van checked out with the electronic fault finder at my garage. I am not convinced that it is the cause, but it for me remains a possibility.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
@Dorwyn just a thought they do fly the predator drones around the area of Beacon hill and bulford ranges could be something in that I suppose but not been flying for a few weeks now and probably not till after the holidays:xThumb:

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
@Dorwyn just a thought they do fly the predator drones around the area of Beacon hill and bulford ranges could be something in that I suppose but not been flying for a few weeks now and probably not till after the holidays:xThumb:

Plus they also have a jamming system to prevent drones being flown in certain areas ::sneaky:

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011

Every time I turned off the A52 on a certain junction my old Jag would cut out and grind to a halt..... spooky............ until I realised I had too many keys on the key ring and the sheer weight of the keys turned the ignition off as I went round the bend............:doh:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Cannot say too much for obvious reasons but certain places in the UK ( which may or may not have been mentioned ) are home to an over the horizon radar system that puts out immense power on some very odd frequencies
Years ago they signals could often be heard on broadcast radio and was referred to as a woodpecker.. The frequency was changed ( by a lot ) but the effects are still encountered all over the place
It only takes a poor earth, a bit of unshielded wire, a cable that is not routed where it should be or any one of several other possibles to cause problems and have effects on things like ECU's etc

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
This isn't where @DavidG58 's van is from is it and it's got 'stuck' somehow.....

David, perhaps you could take your van a blast along the A303....,.you might cure it, never know, starnger things and all that;)

Autowbars

Free Member
Dec 1, 2012
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
Since 2010
A few years ago at a petrol station on the A64 near Scarborough it was a well publicised thing that Range Rover P38s would not restart after filling up.
RAC, AA etc used to tow them 1/2 mile up road and all was fine.

The radar station on the hill above was interfering with the electronics.
The filling station even had a sign in the window about the situation.

OP
OP
Dorwyn
Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
It was just last sunday, so that is ruled out, but I believe there are a lot of military facilities, not all of them visible. I am only suggesting it is a possibility, I have heard of the starting issue on other vehicles too. But who knows, with all these airborne signals floating around. I have had lots of electrical work done on the van, a new rheostat on the accelerator solanoid, new plugs, rewiring due to a mouse infection, so it could be something to do with that, but the garage is at a loss. How can you find something that only occurs very occasionally (and apparently so far only on one stretch of road).

I'd like to get it fixed, we're due to go to Spain in a few weeks, I don't fancy breaking down in the middle of Spain!

OP
OP
Dorwyn
Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
Every time I turned off the A52 on a certain junction my old Jag would cut out and grind to a halt..... spooky............ until I realised I had too many keys on the key ring and the sheer weight of the keys turned the ignition off as I went round the bend............:doh:
I had a nice secondhand Hillman Minx that occasionally cut out, couldn't find out why, there was a cut-out switch in the glove box that had fallen out of the box and was earthing on the metal frame.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Same at RAF Fylingdales radar station.

Theres a large layby on the goathland/A169 juction and a constant source of recoveries due to immobilisers being locked.
Load up and recover to Sleights, unload and start engine.
Mostly Subaru's and Rover's for some reason.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
The area @Dorwyn is talking about is on approaches to Boscombe Down all sorts of gizmos around there.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back