Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Jersey channel islands
Funster No
MH
Swift kontiki Fairway
Exp
Hi Everyone.
Just got my Lovley Fiat Ducato eldiss autoking A class 4 berth Mh.
can someone help.
what is the ruling of seatbelts in the back this has not got any,
Being a 20yo model.
Thanks
Jerseycol::bigsmile:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Hi Everyone.
can someone help.
Being a 20yo model.
Thanks

If there is a seat belt it must be used. If not, then you hope you don't have a shunt.

M

mgwalker74

Deleted User
Hi,
If you give me your email I will send you a word Doc that was sent to me from the Dep Of Transport. I too, have an older model and don't have seat belts fitted in the back. I keep this document in my 94 VW Holdsworth Valentine, just incase a promblem arises.

Mgwalker

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi,
If you give me your email I will send you a word Doc that was sent to me from the Dep Of Transport. I too, have an older model and don't have seat belts fitted in the back. I keep this document in my 94 VW Holdsworth Valentine, just incase a promblem arises.

Mgwalker

Hi

I am interested in seeing it, I'm sure it would interest others too, maybe you could upload onto Fun downloads section ?

cheers

Jim

Elvis

Free Member
Jun 13, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since Nov 2008
not retrospective

As I understand it, the law is not retrospective so it only applies to models made after the law came in, which I think was 2007/8 (not 100% sure when) so if your model is older,then you don't need them. :Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

savantuk

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Cumbria, Lake district UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
30 years.
Hi,

As a former police officer, I can state that for adults, if a seat belt is not fitted, then there is no requirement to wear one, no matter what the age of the vehicle.

With children however, the rules are entirely different, and quite complicated, and it is difficult, even with a copy of the relevant legislation, to decide what is actually necessary.

Bottom line is, if you intend to carry a baby, or a young child, then a forward facing belted seat must be used in conjunction with a child seat, with no exceptions.

Further, I have seen pics of a child seat fitted to a forward facing bench seat, where the seat has come loose, due to the inability of the caravan seat to support the weight of child seat and child. The caravan seat is too soft, and compresses, effectively lengthening the seatbelt due to centrifugal force when cornering, or G force when braking. It would be better if the caravan seat is laid aside temporarily, and that the child seat is fitted onto the seat base.

I hope this helps.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i always thought m,homes PRE new regs. were seat belt exempt . if they are exempt then no one needs a seat belt.(not the front i should have said.)in the living area. the front outer seats need a belt.

savantuk

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Cumbria, Lake district UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
30 years.
i always thought m,homes PRE new regs. were seat belt exempt . if they are exempt then no one needs a seat belt.(not the front i should have said.)in the living area. the front outer seats need a belt.

Sorry, you're wrong. Babies and infants under 3 MUST be carried in a child seat.

From the DFT:

Any child under 3 MUST have a proper car seat, and seat belt, and any child up to 12 Must have a proper car seat, if a belt is used, since July 2006.

Children 3 years and over can only travel in the back of a vehicle without seat belts (e.g. a classic car) and those under 3 years cannot be carried at all.

Child from 3rd birthday up to 135cms in height (approx 4'5") (or 12th birthday, whichever they reach first) - Correct child restraint must be used where seat belts fitted. Must use adult belt in rear seat if correct child restraint not available.

Motor caravans are not exempt, even by age if the children are under 3.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
And beware of the manufacturers small print,varies from manf and model to model
Not all seats are designated for use when traveling:Eeek:
so fitting a child retraint to one of those is to be avioded also
Geo

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi,
Bottom line is, if you intend to carry a baby, or a young child, then a forward facing belted seat must be used in conjunction with a child seat, with no exceptions.

Why does it have to be forward facing? Why can't I use the rear facing dinette seat, it seems safer to me.

Olley

jennymaywright

Free Member
Aug 21, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Seat belts

Hi,

Mgwalker

Dear MG Walker

Just picked up this thread as we too have just acquired an older motorhome. Could I be cheeky and ask if you could email me the DOT document? My email address is: jennyanddave@clun1.plus.com Many thanks in anticipation.

Jenny

david price

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Bridgenorth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
5 years
Vehicles reg from oct 07 must have seatbelts for people in the back.
Before this date,if belts fitted then should be worn,but you can carry more people than belts.
For children see dougs post.
Dave

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
if belts fitted then should be worn,but you can carry more people than belts.
Dave

An EU Directive (2005/40/EC) on the installation of seat belts required that from 20 October 2007 new vehicles have to have seat belts fitted on all seats except those seats intended solely for use when the vehicle is stationary.
The original advice given to us by the DfT was that, where seat belts are fitted, from May 2009, the seat belt wearing Directive would prevent more passengers being carried than there are seat belts in the rear of vehicles. This would have meant that from May 2009, in any vehicle of whatever age, where seat belts are fitted in the rear, more passengers may not be carried in the rear than there are seat belts available.
They now tell us:
"There will be no change in the regulations in May - our lawyers tell us that is not necessary because the existing regulations already adequately deal with the requirements of the seat belt wearing Directive. Our earlier view that we would need to change the regulations was mistaken."
"Seat belt wearing regulations cannot apply in seats where seat belts are not fitted. Therefore there can be no specific prohibition on using such seats even if other seats in the rear of the vehicle have seat belts fitted. Specifically, the regulations exempt passengers from using a seat belt if a seat belt is not "available". If all the seats with belts are already occupied, then seat belts are clearly not "available" and the remaining passengers can use the seats without belts."

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Why does it have to be forward facing? Why can't I use the rear facing dinette seat, it seems safer to me.

Olley

I don't know the legal answer to that, but when I had a small child I fitted a standard child seat to a rear facing dinette seat in my Kon-Tiki using a steel frame within the seat base bolted through the floor which seemed very safe.
Some on the forum may have met the small child at Lincoln, he is now 6ft 8" :Eeek:

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Mine is licenced to carry six people. Driver. Front Seat Passenger and Four Passengers in the habitation area, two facing forward and two facing to the rear.

I have a sofa with a big red label over it which says "This Is A Two Passenger Seat".

The DVLA however have not allowed the sofa to be used for carrying passesngers. I'm sure its all on the V5.

I think that if I had some serious query regarding passenger seats the best people to speak to would be the DVLA, however dont speak to them unless you absolutley have to.

Jim
:Smile:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
madblue ,i would say dvla never make those decisions .usually they work on what you tell them. side facing seats dont require belts and are very frowned on. a motor home untill 2007 only needed seat belts on driver n outer passenger in front so i take it somrbody told them its 6 seater when they could have said 6. where does the licence for 6 come in ?cheers alan.

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Hi Alan

Ive seen the reference to 6 passenger seats on the vehicle docs somewhere, I had an idea that it was on the V5 , I will have a look tonight.

When I imported the rv from the states the DVLA woudnt take my word for anything. On top of providing them with all of the required documentation they made me take it to a DVLA depot where they inspected it.

You may well be correct and they have just written down what they were told but I'll check and see where it says "licenced for 6 passengers" or words to that effect even if its only because its annoying me know that I cant remember where Ive seen it.

Cheers
Jim

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
madblue .i would send the log book off and say its 8 seats . up to you .better to have more seats than necc than be in trouble. its s1 on the log book . cheers alan.

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Thanks Alan, I may do that.

I have never used the sofa as a passenger seat and woudnt be very keen to do so but its a thought.

Jim

deansbj

Free Member
Oct 29, 2009
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
seatbelt issue.

The law says no seatbelt needed as long as you are ransporting passengers safely
(i.e they are not standing making a cup of tea)

However my insurance company have stated differently. Tellng me I am not covered if there is no belt.

This summarises to them wanting me to modify my vehicle (Elddis Autostratus 1990)

i guess I will do this as it is safer to have belts.

but at the mo wfe in back, 4yr old daughter in front on a booster... clearly happier to risk my wife for ome reason :eek:)

If anyone knows ANYTHING about rear facing lap belts in dining areas coing off the drivers belt mounting points, please share... I don't want he mod to cost a fortune, but need to do it sooner rather than later.
Regards,
Baz
P.S. you can email me at barrydeans@t.com if you wish.

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years
Slightly off topic, what about the legalities of someone travelling in the bed, perfectly legal and accepted in trucks?

thehutchies

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
Funster No
MH
Exp
If anyone knows ANYTHING about rear facing lap belts in dining areas coing off the drivers belt mounting points, please share... I don't want he mod to cost a fortune, but need to do it sooner rather than later.

Our youngest two children travel in car seats on the rear-facing dinette seats.
They are secured by belts using the extra seat belt mounting points in the cab floor (originally used when there was a bench seat in the commercial van version).

The forward-facing dinette seats have a lap belt securing a rigid seat with harness (for the 6 year old) and the final lap belt has been converted to a 4-point racing harness for the 8 year old (too big for a seat now).

P.s. If anyone would like to discuss legalities or Construction and Use regulations, please do it amongst yourselves - I will politely say that I have not the slightest interest ::bigsmile:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
P.s. If anyone would like to discuss legalities or Construction and Use regulations, please do it amongst yourselves - I will politely say that I have not the slightest interest ::bigsmile:

:thumb:

Rainy

Free Member
Oct 20, 2009
Bexhill East Sussex
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
6 months
Hi Everyone.
can someone help.
Being a 20yo model.
Thanks

Hi hope you have many years of enjoyment in your motorhome We have recently bought a MH and made enquires re back seatbelts as we have 3 granchildren under 6years. Apparently adults can travel without them IF the MH doesnt have them in the back BUT children have to have them on and if your MH doesnt have seatbelts in the back for children to use then they cant travel!:Sad: I cant remember what age i was told a child can travel in the back of a MH without a seatbelt but im sure its way above the age of 3 as someone on here suggested i think its about 12! So i think you definitely need to get it checked out. I was told all this by JohnsCross MHs they also said that a new law came out this year regarding seatbelts in MH and how it will affect not being able to take children out in them if no seatbelts are available and what a huge problem it will be for people with older MHs &children&no seatbelt facilities in the back for them to use Its really something that needs checking out as you cant just get them fitted! We are fortunate to have 2 extra seatbelts in the back of ours Anyway good luck with it all:thumb:
Rainy&Pete

Jo&Gareth

Free Member
Nov 10, 2009
Lake district
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
0.1!
We've just picked up our new motorhome Elddis Autohomes... one of the rear seatbelts is broken. We've had a look to try and repair it to no avail.

Anyone have any links to sites where we could get some more information on repairing seatbelts - I think the spring housing may have gone. If not can anyone give me a guide price for a new rear seatbelt.

This is our first post.

Thanks
Jo&Gareth

thehutchies

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
Funster No
MH
Exp
You can buy replacement seat belts, new or seconhand, on eBay.
They are also available at car spares shops and scrapyards. £10 - £15.

It is a very simple job to unbolt the originals and bolt in the new ones.
Two-minute job :thumb:

Moley55

Free Member
Feb 2, 2010
Alnwick
Funster No
MH
Iveco Daily
Exp
Motorhome Conversion Iveco Daily

Hi
Me and my son are in the middle of converting a Iveco daily van into a motorhome and we have two front seats and a sideways facing bench along one of the walls and we have been made aware that three point seat belts would be dangerous to apply in this area but we still want our 14 year old to be safe whilst travelling and dont feel a lap belt does this. We have recently seen four point harnesses that they use in sports cars and were wandering whether this would be safe or not.
Any comments made would be great.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back