Free Member
Dec 26, 2015
southampton
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
july 2014
Hi I joined yesterday and here is my first (of not too many I hope) question does any body know what type this is ? I bought my 08 bessacar a year ago and have never touched it but now my van battery needs replacing and I am worried if I disconnect it will it start again, I cant ask the previous owner as they have moved to France and the only advice the dealer offered was that they could remove it for me, Any help appreciated thank you Alarm 1.jpg Alarm 2.jpg

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
When you say you have "never touched it" do you mean you don't use it to lock the doors, set the alarm, have to press a button before you start the engine? If not then there is no immobiliser connected other than the original one fitted by the vehicle manufacturer so nothing to worry about. Just in case you're not aware the general procedure for swapping a battery on modern vehicles is to open driver's window, turn off ignition and close driver's door having removed the keys. Assuming its a Fiat Ducato then your engine battery is under the passenger footwell so open passenger's door and wait five minutes to give all the electronics time to switch off/power down. Now you can swap the battery, disconnect the negative first and reconnect the negative last.

D.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
I assume that should be drivers DOOR Dave

No mate, driver's window. Its usual on modern cars I'm told and although on modern Ducatos the battery is accessed via the passenger door its a minor detail but one that may be helpful. As I understand it the reason is so that you can turn the ignition on and off without opening the door but it is just possible that the on board computers will see a pattern of door being closed but window open and keys still in ignition and go into full shutdown. I don't believe this is the case but it doesn't hurt to stick with convention.

D.

OP
OP
O

oldfella99

Free Member
Dec 26, 2015
southampton
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
july 2014
thank you all for the replies, I lock all the doors with the fiat key fob and when I have locked them a few moments later a red light flashes on both the keypad and the aerial? piece on the windscreen frame so I assume it kicks in? When we lock the doors with the central locking button on the fiat dash when we are inside it also flashes then as well but again I have never touched the keypad so do you think they wired it to the central locking ?once again thank you all

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
You have 2 posts left before you need to cough up £15 for the year. The info and friends you will make is more than worth it

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I assume that should be drivers DOOR Dave

You'd be amazed at some of the shutdown start up procedures on some cars now. My friends Citroen is even worse than Dave posted after a battery change, involving turning on /of through open window & all sorts of other nonsense. When his battery died it was only the fact that it was a near new car that made me read the manual before attempting to jump start & I'm glad I did as doing it wrong can corrupt the ecu.lol:xlaugh:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
That is an Autowatch Alarm pad, after setting the alarm you press (I think) the S key and it will disable the internal sensors, also you should have a 4 or 5 digit code which when used in the right combination with other buttons will turn the alarm off if it is going off and also allows you to disable the alarm when taking the van in for a service etc.
I had one on my last van can't remember the model number, not in the current range, contact one of their agents they should be able to help you out.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back