Tablet instructions for absolute technical newbie (1 Viewer)

Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
My Mum (86) has been given a Hudl 2 tablet for Christmas. She has no background in any kind of modern technology (can just about make a call on her mobil!). I am looking for a book that will guide her through the different aspects of tablet use (Android). Mainly email, camera and internet. It must be simple! Even the "guide for Dummies" is too complicated in that it assumes you know certain things (like what a cursor is). I'm sure she is not the only one to be in that situation. Has anyone any suggestions for simple books? She needs something that she can refer to and understand when I am not around to show her how to do things.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
She has it already... Turn it on and press the Google app and type in "how to use the hudl" lots of info will appear and I'm sure she will find one that she can get along with....

Sep 11, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2013
I seem to remember someone like Saga did a beginners guide for silver surfers. It really was "first press the big button on the top" stuff but sorry can't be sure of publisher. It wasn't a massive book, just a few pages to get started.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I always found the "Seniors Guides" good and not written in too condescending a tone.

Maybe something like this?

Amazon product ASIN B00HVDUF36
I agree that it is very frustrating when you know something should be simple - and is when you know how to do it - but until you know how you feel like throwing the device under a bus!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
there are books in the "for dummies" series for android devices?

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Thanks puddled Uckfield. Just looked that up. Only available in Kindle edition. Priceless!
Just been (sort of) laughing at that.
..... and ..... the first page starts:
"Google's Android operating system is now around six years old. Google has affectionately named all of its versions of android alphabetically after sweet products starting with Cupcake, then Donut, Eclair, Froyo, Gingerbread, and Honeycomb."​
I know my dad wouldn't get any further than that! He wouldn't be able to process THAT so couldn't get beyond it.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
you can download the kindle app to any android tablet
i think the hardest part is conquering the fear that they will some how break it

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Does she have WiFi in the house? Without it it won't be much use.

She really needs a Google account as well, nothing more complicated than creating a Gmail address.

I then suggest download the BBC News app and perhaps the BBC Weather app. Assuming she has WiFi with unlimited data then the BBC iPlayer app and the radio version as well. Then you need to sit with her and show her how to use them!

The local library might also do some sort of classes but these may not cover tablets, but worth checking.

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
You tube have a few instructional videos that may help.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
My Mum has been given an ipad but Dad refuses to have internet in the house - wifi or wired so she has to go where she can get free wifi to get much use out of it.

Sister and I offered to pay for wifi as an on-going gift for them but it's a no-go. :(

Dad says that criminals will get into his bank account and take all his money if they get wifi - and no, neither of them will do internet banking. We have tried to talk to him about it but a friend of his lost money through internet fraud so he is correct and we are (obviously) wrong.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
It must be simple! Even the "guide for Dummies" is too complicated in that it assumes you know certain things (like what a cursor is). I'm sure she is not the only one to be in that situation. Has anyone any suggestions for simple books? She needs something that she can refer to and understand when I am not around to show her how to do things.
I got a magazine when I bought my first android. I'm not sure that it was much use but if you pm me an address I will post it on to you.

This is the book I meant to recommend!

Amazon product ASIN 1840786493
I haven't got this book but the other guides in the series are good. Ignore the first few pages and turn to the part where it tells you how to start :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back