Santa brought me 'Mirror Protectors' - BUT..... (1 Viewer)

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Santa has brought me mirror protectors. Not the more expensive 'Mirror Guards'. Mine are the Milenco type. (c£120 vs c£50!). Obviously, you get what you pay for but I was grateful for the present.

Notwithstanding the usual 'they're waste of time' comments and "A foreign driver smashed mine in France, even with 'em on" etc has anyone else got this type?

The reason I ask is, apart from a small sticky-backed piece, there is no significant shock-absorbing infill to them. Just wondered if it's possible to line them with more foam?

Taa. James

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
I dont know what type is on ours but I can say they definitely work. A passing vehicle clattered ours and the bottom glass snapped out its socket , hardly a mark on the mirror guard.

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
I have the mirror guards, wouldn't say there was loads of foam for protection in mine, from what I remember piece of about 1" thick in each corner but not covering all off the back of the fitting
But they did work for me on two occasions (one my fault the other not) at speeds of over 30, what I have found is my external temp gauge isnt accurate (would indicate over 100 even today) maybe because the temp sensor is in the drivers door mirror casing or could just be a faulty sensor as I've had them on since I got the van not sure which

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
Mine arrived today in the post, (Boxing day is a normal working day over here)
There's practically no padding just a couple of mm thick, but then I wouldn't expect any. They are protectors and that is what they are meant to do. They crack rather than the expensive mirror with all the electronics inside.
By the by, if anyone is interested in them, I inadvertently bought some black replacement mirror backs sometime ago that I'm willing to sell at a knock down price, no pun intended.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
My protectors worked well in this collision - https://youtu.be/XFi5Lx2y2ug – the mirror was pushed back but there was only a very small scratch on the plastic protector.

Without the protector I think I would have been searching for a new mirror in deepest France – and that wouldn't have been easy!

Good videos Keith -what dash camera are you using please?

KeithChesterfield

Free Member
May 20, 2015
Stand Road Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2010
Jimbohorlicks - it's a Mobius.

Mobius Bracket 2 (400 x 474).jpg

Last edited:

barista

Free Member
Dec 13, 2015
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
Ducato based coach built
Exp
Unfortunately not long after I fitted my Mirrorguards my offside mirror was hit by an incompetent CV driver which took away all but the internals and left the glass dangling on a cable.
Wouldn't expect them to survive that sort of impact (probably 80/90 mph) but was pleased that Mirrorguard would supply a single cover which reduced the expense a little. I believe the current ones have more foam cushioning than the originals.
I have dash cams in my cars but this promoted me to use one in the motorhome too. Next time I'll just rerun the video and submit my claim to the registered keeper. It's a bit tricky to do a 3-point (if you're lucky) turn and give chase at 5 tonnes and towing!

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
In UK now it is " leaving the scene of an accident/failing to stop /leave details " . unfortunately.
I would always report to police now as if you don't & they do you'll normally get done.

Unfortunately not long after I fitted my Mirrorguards my offside mirror was hit by an incompetent CV driver which took away all but the internals and left the glass dangling on a cable.
Wouldn't expect them to survive that sort of impact (probably 80/90 mph) but was pleased that Mirrorguard would supply a single cover which reduced the expense a little. I believe the current ones have more foam cushioning than the originals.
I have dash cams in my cars but this promoted me to use one in the motorhome too. Next time I'll just rerun the video and submit my claim to the registered keeper. It's a bit tricky to do a 3-point (if you're lucky) turn and give chase at 5 tonnes and towing!

barista

Free Member
Dec 13, 2015
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
Ducato based coach built
Exp
In UK now it is " leaving the scene of an accident/failing to stop /leave details " . unfortunately.
I would always report to police now as if you don't & they do you'll normally get done.
I stopped, he didn't but not getting his reg no made it irrelevant.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Having lost 2 left hand mirrors now in France and Norway I am taking the last one which was broken and I glued back together with the remains of the first, as a spare. No point in putting a mirror protector on in my view, just take a spare mirror.

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Hi
Not what you are asking. I did damage to my right side mirror twice in France (my fault) not on vehicles but road cones with heavy lamps on top these were done in the daytime in tight road works. I taped it up, and on return home repaired it and sprayed it until it looked ok. but not long after it got hit by a local council wagon who claimed to his boss 50/50 on a narrow bridge bearing in mind I was nearly off has he couldn,t wait a few seconds. I repaired again but this time covered with Mirror Guards to make them look presentable again. Pete

Ps I think if they were fitted to start with the mirror would have stayed undamaged. reguardless of the type fitted.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back