Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
I managed to break off the elbow connecting one of my batteries to the breather tube.

Removing the broken part of the elbow was easy but I was not sure where to get a replacement part.

Then I had a bright idea - why not use the same size (almost) elbow used in windscreen washer circuits.

Now i know why not, I found a small puddle of blue goo on the bottom of the battery box and a small section of the blue elbow still attached to the breather pipe, which was also lying in the floor of the battery box.

The problem is that the windscreen washer parts are not suitable for carrying acids.

Car part shop - no luck locally.

Internet - no luck there so far but I do not really know what words to use for a Google search.

So where do I get a replacement elbow?

M

Mike-H

Deleted User
Could you make/alter a metal fitting? Find something with a thread so you can screw rather than glue. Steel rather than copper or aluminium. Thats the direction I`d be thinking.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
no idea what you could use but i imagine it must be a brittle plastic...like the stuff biro pens are made of....nylon type plastic will melt as you found out:Sad:

is there a car re-cycling yard near you?
they may give you one off an old battery.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

savantuk

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Cumbria, Lake district UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
30 years.
Hi,

A good alternative might be a silicone rubber 'noodle' tube, used to line the alloy noodles of the brakes used on mountain bikes. They are quite stiff, and I think silicone would not be affected by battery acid.

They only cost a few pence.

Good luck.

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
I managed to break off the elbow connecting one of my batteries to the breather tube.

Removing the broken part of the elbow was easy but I was not sure where to get a replacement part.

Then I had a bright idea - why not use the same size (almost) elbow used in windscreen washer circuits.

Now i know why not, I found a small puddle of blue goo on the bottom of the battery box and a small section of the blue elbow still attached to the breather pipe, which was also lying in the floor of the battery box.

The problem is that the windscreen washer parts are not suitable for carrying acids.

Car part shop - no luck locally.

Internet - no luck there so far but I do not really know what words to use for a Google search.

So where do I get a replacement elbow?

Try asking at a battery stockist, even if they don't sell what you want the may have a suitable replacement on a scrap battery.

Doug..

S

sinbad1

Deleted User
To be honest i think most of the poly fitting you can get from anyone who sells aquariums would do. dosen't really react with poly products, although over a period of time can darken and become brittle.
Its all i used when i worked in a lab( Not stuff to mess about with though)

monster camper

Free Member
Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
breather pipe

you could try a local breaker and remove a replacment from a u/s batterie hope this helps

OP
OP
O

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
I always thought the pipe was to vent hydrogen not acid? :Eeek:

That's true but it is obvious that a small amount of acidic vapour got carried to the elbow which is only a cm or so above the top of the electrolyte.

S

sinbad1

Deleted User
That's true but it is obvious that a small amount of acidic vapour got carried to the elbow which is only a cm or so above the top of the electrolyte.

Acid rain comes to mind:ROFLMAO:

alf

Free Member
Apr 7, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Try a caravan dealer or a car spares shop the elbow and pipe comes as a seperate item they give you one when you buy a battery
Regards

Alf

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
your local council waste depot has lots of scrap batteries try and have a chat with someone who works there they may let you have a look round

Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
I just dumped our Leisure Battery at local Tip. You may find one there. My new Leisure Battery doesnt seem to be vented, and I know from earlier today that the fuse gives a good spark when it blows. Does anyone know if vents can be fitted retro or should I change the battery. The Battery box is under the floor and has vent holes in it (the old battery was vented but not to outside, just into Battery box!)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I just dumped our Leisure Battery at local Tip. You may find one there. My new Leisure Battery doesnt seem to be vented, and I know from earlier today that the fuse gives a good spark when it blows. Does anyone know if vents can be fitted retro or should I change the battery. The Battery box is under the floor and has vent holes in it (the old battery was vented but not to outside, just into Battery box!)

if it hasnt got a vent tube or a hole to fit one then by my reasoning it doesnt need one.:thumb:

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
I always thought the pipe was to vent hydrogen not acid? :Eeek:

It is , but when the battery is being heavily or discharged the bubbles of gas carry little spots af acid with them.

Doug...

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp

some batteries do not have a overflow type vent

VRLA battery - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back