pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
any fishermen out there?

bearing in mind i havent had a fishing rod in my hands for the last 45 years i need some/a lot of advise regarding freshwater/lake fishing.

going to the fishing/chill out meet in a fortnight and dont have a clue what i need to fish.

been and bought a 3 mtr general purpose rod and reel but need advice on hook size, float type, lead shot size/amount of shot on line, line strength(the reel is already loaded but with what i dont know)

i bought some size 10 hooks and a couple of clear hollow plastic floats with pretty orange dayglow paint on one end and a line ring on the other and a tub of split shot.

dont even know what we're fishing for but i would think carp and trout or whatever they stick in fishing ponds/lakes.

what bait should i be using for carp/trout?
how far above the hook should the float be?

can buy a rod licence online for a short period (1 day or 8 day) so no advice needed on that thanks.

i could be so bored with this i chuck the lot in the lake and never fish again so minimal outlay please.

cheers.

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
i could be so bored with this i chuck the lot in the lake and never fish again s

Sorry John can't help I found this last part applied to me hope you get on better, I found sitting by the water the best part.:Doh: with a drink or two of course.

Dave

Last edited:

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Thats why the midges like you john:Eeek:

Dave

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dylan

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
Think the meet is coarse fishing carp etc not fly fishing for trout, two different types of fishing. We use sweetcorn or luncheon meat bait for our carp. As for your "tackle" I will leave that to someone else to answer ! :Smile:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
There are some great recipes out there for carp, after all the monasteries stocked ponds with them for food. However Dylan expects all fish caught to be put back in the lake. Like you I only fish for food.

carpyone

Free Member
Mar 28, 2008
Needingworth, Cambs
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
3 years
You ask a lot of questions in a short post to which there are many more answers depending on how you look at fishing.

I'm going to the same rally but I have no idea what the fishing is if its general coarse fishing or carp fishing. To me the most important thing is that the hooks you have bought are barbless. Many lake owners have banned barbed hooks because of the damage they cause to the fish.

For those who fancy eating the carp they might be put off by the cost:

A carp over 10pounds will cost a £100+, a 20pounder may cost a£1000+ and I know one specimen lake owner who paid £10000+ for a fish of more than 30pounds.

As for bait again it depends on the fish but a good general bait is sweetcorn, luncheon meat, bread and worms. For Carp all the above will catch but many will use boilies or trout pellets.

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
You ask a lot of questions in a short post to which there are many more answers depending on how you look at fishing.

I'm going to the same rally but I have no idea what the fishing is if its general coarse fishing or carp fishing. To me the most important thing is that the hooks you have bought are barbless. Many lake owners have banned barbed hooks because of the damage they cause to the fish.

For those who fancy eating the carp they might be put off by the cost:

A carp over 10pounds will cost a £100+, a 20pounder may cost a£1000+ and I know one specimen lake owner who paid £10000+ for a fish of more than 30pounds.

As for bait again it depends on the fish but a good general bait is sweetcorn, luncheon meat, bread and worms. For Carp all the above will catch but many will use boilies or trout pellets.

unfortunately the hooks i bought are barbed but at 75p for 10 hooks i can afford to bin them and buy barbless hooks.

looks like i wont need any live bait then....just my luncheon meat and sweetcorn relish sandwiches....have to make extra::bigsmile:

out of interest....what are boilies?

lugnutt

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 9, 2007
wednesbury.westmidlands
Funster No
MH
autotrail apache
Exp
10 years
Papagena.you will not be fishing for trout.but Roach, perch,gudgeon,carp,chub ect no 10 hook is far to big get 16/18 hooks .main reel line 4lb.Hooklength 2lb ie last two feet 6/8 inches from hook put a small shot(drop shot no8 should do) put 2 no 4 shot one each side of float and a one gram clear float about 3 foot from hook.when you have done this drop in water if the float is to high put more shot by float,if it sinks under water take some shot of have it so just the orange bit is above the water.now you have to find the depth to do this put big weight by hook and drop in water if it goes under slide the float up the line till it just showing the orange now you are ready through some maggots in about 12 or so put two on hook and cast in ,when you get a bite ie float goes under stike by lifting rod up but not to hard or it will go over your head keep putting in a few maggots each time to keep the fish in your swim,try sweetcorn for the bigger fish or luncheon meat ,worms have a disgorger to get hook out of fish if swallowed.
prepare speech for the picking up of cup
Dave:thumb:

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
thanks Dave.....just the kind of detailed info i need...as i said its been 45years and i dont want to look a total dork on the bankside:Doh:.
so maggots, luncheon meat and sweetcorn ARE the dish of the day then......

its just for fun anyway, i dont expect to catch anything but mossy bites:cry:

lugnutt

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 9, 2007
wednesbury.westmidlands
Funster No
MH
autotrail apache
Exp
10 years
Bob Nudd won the world championship on bit's 4 times:thumb:
ps forgot to tell you take big sot from by hook after you have plumed it
maggots £2 per pint
meat £1 a tin
sweetcorn 50p a tin
winning cup ....priceless:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
maggots £2 per pint
meat £1 a tin
sweetcorn 50p a tin

worked that one out Dave:winky:::bigsmile:

where do you buy meat at £1 a tin....unless you mean a little tin, only four bites big and not worth buying:ROFLMAO:

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
John,

You will need a license but you can get that on line at THIS WEB SITE :thumb:
Up to £2,500 fine if caught without one :Eeek:

Don't worry about what to do Geo caught the biggest fish last year With his second hand gear & we all get together before so you can gat plenty of information from us all - especially last years winner :RollEyes:

Maggots come in pints and you will need to have a bait box to carry them in, with perforated lid so they can breath. A pint should be plenty for a days fishing, together with other baits mentioned. I sometimes use bread, dead cheap loaf from Tesco - & you can eat it if you get peckish.

Last edited:
OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
John,

You will need a license but you can get that on line at THIS WEB SITE :thumb:
Up to £2,500 fine if caught without one :Eeek:

Don't worry about what to do Geo caught the biggest fish last year With his second hand gear & we all get together before so you can gat plenty of information from us all - especially last years winner :RollEyes:

Maggots come in pints and you will need to have a bait box to carry them in, with perforated lid so they can breath. A pint should be plenty for a days fishing, together with other baits mentioned. I sometimes use bread, dead cheap loaf from Tesco - & you can eat it if you get peckish.

Yep!!!! already sorted the licence.:thumb:
cant decide on 1 day or 8 day or i could get 2X1 day 'cos i dont know if i'll ever use it again.:Blush:

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
maggots £2 per pint
meat £1 a tin
sweetcorn 50p a tin

after finding the depth and removing the heavy shot do i need to re-adjust the float down a bit or does the bait lay on the lake bed?

lugnutt

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 9, 2007
wednesbury.westmidlands
Funster No
MH
autotrail apache
Exp
10 years
the drop shot sit's on the bottom the 6to 8 " of line lies flat with the bait as a fish picks it up the drop shot moves when it does it will register on the float may just bobble but when fish takes it and swims of it will go under. if you fish up in the water a big bate will pull it down just a bit or will go under all you do is take a small shot of .
when you cast in sink your line do not let it drift on the surface ,to do this after you have cast put the tip of your rod in the water a quick wind on the real and your line is sank,if you let line drift you will not hit the bites keep line tight stay in contact with the fish:RollEyes:

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Yep!!!! already sorted the licence.:thumb:
cant decide on 1 day or 8 day or i could get 2X1 day 'cos i dont know if i'll ever use it again.:Blush:

Just go for one day John unless you are staying Sunday night then we may have a bash on Monday. I did that last year & it was nice and quiet without all those funsters laughing in the rain. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I also caught some bigger fish it being so quiet. :thumb:

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Just go for one day John unless you are staying Sunday night then we may have a bash on Monday. I did that last year & it was nice and quiet without all those funsters laughing in the rain. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I also caught some bigger fish it being so quiet. :thumb:

no Keith..not staying sunday night unfortunately so one day it is:thumb:

now...do we know which day the match will take place as i have to enter a day and start time for the one day licence :Doh:

might be an idea to tell pammy im coming as well, i tried but they're at Americana and i cant get hold of her.....never mind ill do it during the week:thumb:

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
no Keith..not staying sunday night unfortunately so one day it is:thumb:

now...do we know which day the match will take place as i have to enter a day and start time for the one day licence :Doh:

might be an idea to tell pammy im coming as well, i tried but they're at Americana and i cant get hold of her.....never mind ill do it during the week:thumb:

I'm sure it will be OK John it's a large field & last year I'm sure we fished on Saturday & Boules was on Sunday, but check with Pammy, don't take my word for it. :Doh:

Dog lover

Free Member
Jul 9, 2009
Derbyshire
Funster No
Hi

As an angler for 30 years, the best advice I can give is make sure your fishing tackle is suitable for the water and type of fish you are fishing for. On still waters that I do not know I would use light tackle, by this I mean a size 16 hook and a small light float, dependant on depth and wind etc. The amount of shot is usually on the side of the float. Sweet corn, worms maggotts and bread are the good old fashioned baits and have never let me down. But the best advice is ask at the local tackle shop or anglers that fish the water, most will love to talk and often give good tips.
Regards and tight lines.:thumb:

Scunny-Arfie

Free Member
Sep 21, 2008
Scunthorpe
Funster No
Grange Park

though i live in Scunny i've never fished there, infact due to not being to well i havent fished much in years but i have seen the pond + it looks nice though small. The local paper reported a few weeks ago that fishers were catching a "fish a cast" + one match was won with something like 90 lb+ caught on everything from worm, maggott, sweetcorn, luncheon meat, bread, cheese, sausage even pepperami so dont worry if your fishing isnt going so well you could have a good picnic at your peg.
This will be my 1st meet + really looking forward to it. See you all there. ::bigsmile:

lugnutt

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 9, 2007
wednesbury.westmidlands
Funster No
MH
autotrail apache
Exp
10 years
hi...other Bait's used are macaroni cheese,dog meat ,cat meat,these are put on your hook using a baiting needle(a small spike with a tiny nick just before the end)cut bait IE luncheon meat into small cubes push needle through meat,catch your hook in the grove an slide meat down needle and past hook so it is on the line now slide meat back down line to hook ,turn hook so it does not go into meat the same way it went in ,gently pull line so the hook is just about to disperser into meat now you put a piece of grass between meat and hook then pull line till hook disperse in meat and grass is next against the meat ,trim grass to same size as meat this stops fish getting bait of hook they have to tug at it and get hooked
hope ive made it clear:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Dave:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back