They try to ban motorhomes but are happy to have nudists ! (1 Viewer)

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
How weird is this !
Aldeburgh in Suffolk has more or less banned motorhomes unless you go to the local camp site ( which is owned by a friend of a certain councilor strangely enough ), yet are going to rope off a large part of the beach to make it a naturist beach

Now don't get me wrong here.. I see nothing wrong with with naturism and understand why folk enjoy the activity ..
But it does fly in the face of why they banned motorhomes from parking on the front !

http://www.suffolkgazette.com/news/nudist-beach-aldeburgh/

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Nudist swimming is so easy when you have a big rudder (so they tell me)' I normally go straight so no need to change direction:whistle:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Note to self not to visit Aldeburgh.

Bloody 'viewing platform' ?? I most certainly object to any such thing! I should think BN will have something to say about that, too.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Nice one John.. nearly caught me.. ... :ROFLMAO:

I read somewhere that Aldeburgh is being Twinned with Magaluf :xlaugh:

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
How weird is this !
Aldeburgh in Suffolk has more or less banned motorhomes unless you go to the local camp site ( which is owned by a friend of a certain councilor strangely enough ), yet are going to rope off a large part of the beach to make it a naturist beach

Now don't get me wrong here.. I see nothing wrong with with naturism and understand why folk enjoy the activity ..
But it does fly in the face of why they banned motorhomes from parking on the front !

http://www.suffolkgazette.com/news/nudist-beach-aldeburgh/
About Suffolk Gazette
We take a quirky look at life in Suffolk, covering just about any issue we want, whenever we want. Spoof, satire, nonsense. It’s all the same to us.

Spoof it may be Jaws but it is also short on facts. Aldeburgh is very welcoming to motorhomes with ample parking a various points along the sea front and a plethora of good camp sites and CLs in the immediate area. The only area out of bounds to motorhomes is along the sea wall for safety reasons as heavy vehicles were causing damage to the sea defenses. I visit the area most months and never had any parking problems.
As for a nudest beach, great idea but I doubt the indigenous population would agree, they wont allow a single slot machine let-alone a nudest beach. Aldeburgh is as it is because traditionalist like to keep it that way and long may it remain the quaint charming picturesque area that time has forgotten. :xThumb: FREE LOADERS ARE NOT WELCOME ALONG THIS BEAUTIFUL COASTLINE.:xwink:

Last edited:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Hmm, confused. I thought it was 24th Dec not 1st April?

I'm off to check my calendar, oh, and to put some clothes on...........
That's what I thought as well :xgrin:

EDIT - For all those caught out, Suffolk Coastal Council has valid reasons for restricting off site camping but has been one of the most pro-active and supportive in providing daytime parking for motorhomes during the 9 years in which I have been running my web site.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Likewise, we'll be sure to avoid the place with it's "hospitable" residents and spend our money elsewhere, Norfolk for example...... Toby Trux.
Please explain what it is that upsets you so much about Aldeburgh and how this differs from the likes of Norfolk.

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Had me going until "viewing platform and floury baps! Also noticed website is "powered by beer".
Good one John, have another warm mince pie :clap2:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
When we lived in Essex, Aldburgh was a favourite weekend break.. now living on the beautiful and unspoiled Suffolk coast, it is a day trip, one of our favourite places and there is plenty of motorhome day-time parking.. but gets very busy at week ends and holiday times... but great out of season and winter..

couldn't have put it better myself .. clearly a discerning Funster of impeccable taste :xwink:

Aldeburgh is as it is because traditionalist like to keep it that way and long may it remain the quaint charming picturesque area that time has forgotten.

No 'Kiss me Quick' hats or 'Rovers Return' pubs here.. if you like that sort of place you will be disappointed.. better off going to Blackpool or Benidorm

close by, visit Broken Link Removed .. and the World famous Aldeburgh concert hall,, Broken Link Removed

see album

Broken Link Removed

Last edited:

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Bugger !!
You lot are FAR to quick to spot one !
Oh well, as long as it raised a grin or two !!:xThumb:
I think that the idea of naked bodies like the one pictured raised more than a grin ;)

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
When we lived in Essex, Aldburgh was a favourite weekend break.. now living on the beautiful and unspoiled Suffolk coast, it is a day trip, one of our favourite places and there is plenty of motorhome day-time parking.. but gets very busy at week ends and holiday times... but great out of season and winter..

couldn't have put it better myself .. clearly a discerning Funster of impeccable taste :xwink:

No 'Kiss me Quick' hats or 'Rovers Return' pubs here.. if you like that sort of place you will be disappointed.. better off going to Blackpool or Benidorm

close by, visit Broken Link Removed .. and the World famous Aldeburgh concert hall,, Broken Link Removed

see album

Broken Link Removed
Nice pictures Jim wife and dogs look happy.:xsmile: The walk from where you are parked along the coast to Thorpeness then on to Sizewell and even Dunwich if you feel energetic on a nice day is something to behold.

Crusty jack

Free Member
Dec 2, 2015
West Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 640
Exp
Since1994
Buttons : read the thread, it's obvious why wild camping full timers will avoid the place when such aggressive "freeloading" comments are made........ Seem to miss the whole point of motor homing; we all do it in our own way. Toby Trux.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Buttons : read the thread, it's obvious why wild camping full timers will avoid the place when such aggressive "freeloading" comments are made........ Seem to miss the whole point of motor homing; we all do it in our own way. Toby Trux.
Possibly the town council is aware that wild campers tend not to spend their money in local establishments so dont go out of their way to welcome them.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
we actually found north norfolk to be the worst place to take a motor home car parks are either height restricted or expensive aldburgh is one of our fave places as is most of the suffolk coast

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I can't really tell from Google Earth, Jim. Is there room for motorhomes in the car parks?

yes.. plenty of room for motorhomes provided it's not too busy.. .. much the same space you would have in a supermarket car park.. and it's Free

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back