5'er tow truck Tyre Pressures (1 Viewer)

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
Here's one for all the Fifth Wheelers.

What to do about tyre pressures....

I use my tow truck as a daily vehicle, but what do I do about Tyre Pressures?

I've tried finding out what the Americans do and have various answers from "leave them high" or "leave them low", to carry a compressor and change them.

What do you Do?

Alan Boland through the Big Pitch Guide.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
both my trucks just run the recomended pressures. to tow or not tow. no change. do the american pick upmakers advise different pressures ?

IanH

Free Member
Apr 6, 2008
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
Never changed the pressure on my Dodge always ran with them inflated to the recomended pressure loaded

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

tink

Free Member
Sep 9, 2008
derbyshire
Funster No
MH
5ver
Exp
30 on & off
both my trucks just run the recomended pressures. to tow or not tow. no change. do the american pick upmakers advise different pressures ?
Same here Alan leave em high,like you I don't know about the American pickups.Sorry to thread jack but been trying to p.m you Alan but just keeps saying token has expired can't find anywhere on this comp to insert more tokens.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::winky:

Tony Lee

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Funster No
Depends on what your usage patterns are and what load is being carried when it is towing the fiver and what load on a daily basis.

If the fiver is towed infrequently and the truck is mostly driven completely unloaded then you will get a better ride and better tyre life if you lower the pressure when not towing. Before any trip, tyre pressure needs to be one of the checks so it is not a big deal to pump them up a bit when you refuel.

BTW The correct tyre pressure can best be determined by weighing the axle and consulting the tyre manufacturers load tables.
Another way is by measuring the pressure rise in the tyre after several miles normal running but that relies on rules of thumb and may not suit any particular application.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
you can just watch the tyre wear n adjust to suit . wear on edges inflate if in centre of tread deflate. as alot of 5ers only put about 500kg on the pin its not really important. especialy in a one ton truck. mine if using original weights put 2ton with a laden trailer. still not much as they both have 3or 4 ton load capacity. so manufacturers guide seems ok.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back