New Tom-tom great disappointment, can I take it back? (1 Viewer)

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
It's really my fault, I should have done more research but I've discovered that the Start 50/5 model I bought today is not configured to accept third party poi's.
Absolutely useless to me as I had all the campsite, aires etc poi's on my now defunct Start 25.

I've opened the box and updated the device, I'd like to return it but I can't see what grounds I have for doing so!

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
It doesn't meet your requirements so should be ok to return it -where did you buy it from ? If from a major retailer it shouldn't be an issue.

OP
OP
Mack100

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
It doesn't meet your requirements so should be ok to return it -where did you buy it from ? If from a major retailer it shouldn't be an issue.
You'd think so wouldn't you but it's not defective, I just didn't do my homework!
Bought it from Curry's so fat chance of co-operation:sick:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Mack100

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
Not fit for purpose - as it can't get you to where you need to be????
As a stand-alone sat nav device it's probably fantastic, just can't add my poi's. I can hardly cite that as a reason to return although I'd dearly like to.

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
You'd think so wouldn't you but it's not defective, I just didn't do my homework!
Bought it from Curry's so fat chance of co-operation:sick:

Curry's should take it back without any issues-just put it back in the box and tell them its ok but doesn't do what you want it to do-shouldn't be an issue. Advise you misread the advert.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
But you wanted to be able to add your own POIs ..... I think just take it back and say it doesn't do what you need it to. Most major retailers won't quibble.

OP
OP
Mack100

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
yes, I shall gird my loins and have a go. Might work as I'll be buying a more expensive garmin.

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Most companies have a 30 day return if you just change your mind , in your case it doesn't do what you want it to -not an issue to refuse a refund though , if an upgrade then there should be less of a problem.
try buying one of the Chinese 7" sat navs -absolutely value for money and accept all third party PO'is-approx. £40 , a real bargain

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
yes, I shall gird my loins and have a go. Might work as I'll be buying a more expensive garmin.
Just take it back and say it doesn't work, as I said in another thread yesterday we took a tablet back to a different store ,after two months and they never even looked at it just put it in a box behind the counter and gave us another , could just as easy had our money back.

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
Hi Mack 100

What make you think you cannot add POI files. I would check before you return it.

Here is some info from the TT start 50 instruction manual.

Importing a community POI list using MyDrive NOT CONNECTED

You can find collections of community POIs on the Internet and upload them to
My Places using MyDrive in a web browser.

A POI collection might contain, for example, campsites or restaurants for
the area you are travelling in, and provides an easy way to select a location without the need to
search for the location each time.

Your START uses .OV2 files for POI collections.
To upload an .OV2 file to
your START, do the following:
Connect your START to your computer using
MyDrive Connect
In MyDrive, select
Import POI File
and browse to your .OV2 file.
Tip
: The name of the places list in My Places will be the same as the name
of the .OV2 file.
Edit the name of the file so that you can easily recognise it in My Places.
Upload the POI list to your START.
Your new POI list is shown in the Places list.
In My Places, select your new POI list.
Your new POI list opens showing all the
POIs in the list. Select the map view to see the POIs on
the map.

Doug

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
I would just return it saying its not suitable. I wouldn't go into any details unless they asked. I would think its very unlikely the shop is going to check to see if its been updated. Good Luck.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
I have took one back and all ok..... I've been a garmin man for some time and thought I'd try a tomtom for my next one and used it for about a week and thought it was rubbish so took it back to currys and told them it was crap.... They put money back on my card...simples....

OP
OP
Mack100

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
@DJA you have provided the solution.
I had been looking at what must have been an old web page that said Tomtom had not yet found a way to add community content.
@magicsurfbus posted about this problem a year ago, now it seems that there is a solution using the cloud.

I had been confused by "MyDrive" and "MyDriveConnect". I'll have a go later and will post my results.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
As far as im aware none of the 50/500/60/600 versions are configured for 3rd party poi's.
Its a major talking point on the tomtom website community forum.
Probably applies to the majority of their new satnavs.

These versions have only just been updated for long/lat co-ords facility....it wasnt included originally and was a long time coming.
Tomtom has gone downhill rapidly since they started using a different software writing method....especially update download times.

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Well you can certainly try taking it back, but the shop is under NO obligation to refund you (don't shoot me, just stating the fact). :xThumb:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Garmin for me, now have the Navtex Garmin 6" from cclub, so easy to use.

OP
OP
Mack100

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
Update
TomTom MyDrive will only allow you to import .ov2 files. I tested this by downloading the current PocketGPS speed cam files. Individual .ov2 files have to be loaded individually, the associated .bmp files are not recognised.
The next problem is that there is a maximum file size of 2MB. Every file I attempted to load was deemed too big, even the smallest file of 2Kb was deemed to be bigger than 2MB.

@DJA have you actually been able, or know of anyone who has been able to use this facility to add third party poi's to a TomTom device that previously did not support this function? Even though this appears to have been a futile exercise I owe you a drink/box of choccies for your help thus far:xThumb:

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I wish you luck, but must say I share your moral doubt

I fully understand why things can be taken back when they don't work, but change your mind or don't read the rules properly sounds like a typically bonkers EEC ruling

If it were me I would take it on the chin, advertise it on ebay as unused / unwanted, you will maybe lose £10 or so but possibly less than the fuel to take it back

I am not doubting the sale of goods act. but this would be abuse of it IMO

Deleted User
You need no reason to return goods within thirty days..sales of goods act 2015

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-34403005

30 days if goods are faulty, not fit for purpose etc.

The OP has stated that the sat nav is without faults, so he has no "right" to a refund.

His options are to

Take it back and ask for refund (with a smiley face and fingers crossed)
Take it back and tell them it's faulty (slightly dishonest but will get refund)
Keep it :xgrin:

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
Hi Mack100

I have added my own POI files that I had on my previous Tomtom's to my Go5000 although at the moment you cannot add an individual POI to an existing POI category within the unit. You currently have to use a third party software like POIEdit or an old TT to do that. You cannot at the moment add the icon files for POI's.

Following the latest update you can now add .gpx route files. I have downloaded someones suggested scenic route in Germany which was in .itn form and converted it to .gpx. Once loaded and stored in the My Routes folder when you select it the TT will work out a route to the start of the tour from where you are.

Tomtom have been slowly, oh so slowly, adding features to these units. These units use a new software system which they are developing probably started by the need to take action following the legal case against them by Microsoft. TT have taken a lot of flak over the number of features on their old units not available on the new ones but they are now at long last sorting it.

I like my G05000 which I find has excellent Traffic information on it and as each update comes out it is getting better. The one thing that I did struggle with when I first got it was the totally different operating methodology to my previous TT's.

Hope you can sort things out. The one thing I can add is the fact I bought mine well discounted but secondhand from John Lewis as it was returned by a customer almost inevitably because at the time you could not add POI's. Hehe

Doug

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
Worth trying to take it back but currys have no obligation to cooperate unless they led you to believe it could take POI's.

You have more rights buying from Amazon!

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Garmin for me, now have the Navtex Garmin 6" from cclub, so easy to use.

We have been looking at this model for a couple of months now, would you recommend it?

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
30 days if goods are faulty, not fit for purpose etc.

The OP has stated that the sat nav is without faults, so he has no "right" to a refund.

His options are to

Take it back and ask for refund (with a smiley face and fingers crossed)
Take it back and tell them it's faulty (slightly dishonest but will get refund)
Keep it :xgrin:

"You must offer a full refund if an item is faulty, not as described or doesn’t do what it’s supposed to."

https://www.gov.uk/accepting-returns-and-giving-refunds

better buying online to be honest as distance selling regs come into play then

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Just take it back , get a refund and go chinese:xgrin:

Last Saturday, mine went into the bin. Since purchase some 6 months ago, I have run it alongside my Garmin 760LTM (super bit of kit). It seemed to navigate ok, but to begin with the screen was poor, washed out in bright light. Recently it has started to reboot itself for whatever reason, froze often, told me the battery was flat whilst plugged into 12v, and more. I got fed up, so in the bin it went. I know I should have sent it back, but I simply can't be bothered. :xblink:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back