Help with reverse polerity (1 Viewer)

Apr 29, 2014
Warwickshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Chieftain
Exp
Since 2004
Off to France in March and thought I got all I needed vis jackets red triangles breathalisers acci books two pin adapter now I have read about reverse polarity anybody tell me what I need to do or get for this please

Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
I made up a short lead with one end reversed but after saying that have only had to use it once. On the whole reversed polarity shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
I made up a short lead with one end reversed but after saying that have only had to use it once. On the whole reversed polarity shouldn't be too much of a problem.
Same here. If I can do it sally47 anyone on earth can do it,

teensvan99

Free Member
May 17, 2015
Margate
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
You should make up a short reverse lead as some chargers do not like it and it has been known for them to burn out. Better to spend a ÂŁ10 on a couple of bits than running around finding an electrician to fix it. Up to you.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
some chargers do not like it and it has been known for them to burn out.

and I thought this thread would die.. :pray:

is this after gas was pumped in through the vents ? :xwink:

popcorn_jon_stewart.gif

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
tell me what I need to do or get for this please

Broken Link Removed

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Europe-Co...486659?hash=item3a8f12f203:g:mPcAAOxy4XNSMsdj

Maybe this pair instead of the the lead above....

Broken Link Removed

Basically, hook up, put the tester in a socket and if it shows reverse polarity undo the hookup and put the reverser lead in line, the tester should now read OK.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
You don't need breathalysers; you do need high-vis jackets, triangle and spare bulbs.
I once made up a reverse-polarity link but never used it so I used the plug and socket for another lead. Now I never bother about reversed polarity, but if I do hook-up abroad, I generally put a tester in one of the van's 230V sockets to make sure there is a good earth. This is much more important than reversed polarity.
Here is the kind of tester that I use - you can get them in lots of places: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PLUG-IN-S...hash=item27d92b6b9b:m:m5byZ_PEXMO3lCgHbLb0cMg

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Would someone with more technical savvy that I have explain how reverse polarity can damage a charger please ?

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Would someone with more technical savvy that I have explain how reverse polarity can damage a charger please ?

Have you been drinking from the PC bottle again ?

Surely it was a subtle joke.

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
Off to France in March and thought I got all I needed vis jackets red triangles breathalisers acci books two pin adapter now I have read about reverse polarity anybody tell me what I need to do or get for this please

Short answer:
Makes no difference at all.

Enjoy your time in France :)

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Besides switching the live of before working on a device (I would always unplug it), I have been confused about the importance of reverse polarity.
AC current spends it life switching between positive and negative - 50 times a second.
I would be pleased if someone would explain it.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Personally, I have never checked for reversed polarity in my life whilst away in my motorhome. I would use it regardless so see no point.

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
Our reverse polarity light went on on one site in France. I ignored it because I've never had a van with a warning light before so decided that if it was ok when I didn't know about it it would still be ok. The van and us are still in one piece.

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
Rather than reverse polarity in reality it is live and neutral reversed. As far as all the appliances are concerned they will work just fine. It is easily discovered using a test plug available from all sorts of sources from B&Q up. I get mine from CPC Farnell online for a few pounds. What is the problem when live and neutral are reversed, if you have single pole switches which is very common in the UK the switch acts on what it thinks is the live side thus removes power from the circuit beyond the switch. When live and neutral are reversed the circuit is broken but the neutral wire which should be at earth potential is in fact live. If there are no problems with the circuit and you don't poke inquisitive fingers inside little will happen but it can cause problems when things go wrong. How do you fix it, if you are connected via a continental 2 pin plug just take it out and rotate it through 180 degrees and put it back in again, for more conventional 3 pin plugs you do need a reversed lead. Many continental vans are protected by having twin pole switches that isolate both live and neutral

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Think I've mentioned it before but it won't hurt to do so again.
I have a combitronic heating and hot water system in the van... It has the facility to use 240v to heat van and hot water...
The control panel is the deluxe version (see photo).
If the polarity is reversed the 240v won't work...
The diesel side still works...
The electronics in the panel must have to see the live on the correct pin...that's all I can think of...
Anyway other systems may be similar so worth a mention..
20151222_124322.jpg

Ta Andy

XRN

Oct 10, 2014
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680 Starline
Exp
We are no longer Newbie's.
Maxi77 is correct. Reverse polarity has no effect on the operation of "most" appliances however folks need to be aware that any work on 240v within the motorhome needs to be done with the mains lead disconnected. Sucking eggs I know but..relying on the inside breaker being in the Off position whilst still connected to the mains externally will kill you as the neutral side of the breaker, which would normally be dead when switched off, is still live when the polarity is reversed. Another pointer for us DIYers, reverse polarity makes the screw part of an Edison Screw light fitting live whilst the central prong is neutral. Therefore touching the screw part of the fitting whilst changing a bulb will give you a shock even though the switch is off.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Never tested no problem thousands of motorhomes in europe no- one tests for it no problems

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Yes but european vans have double pole switches so you never get the "live" at neutral problem.

The "British" mains system switches ONLY the "live". feed whereas (most) of the rest of the world switch BOTH live and Neutral. So on "la Continent" for example not an issue and you DO find the very odd occasion when the Live / Neutral is reversed. Because the Double pole switch is used not a problem. The English Systems however then have what has already be observed and that is the NEUTRAL is still live!. USA Systems are also double pole switched AND only run at 110-115 Volts, to complicate matters they also run at 60Hz and Not 50Hz unlike us and Europe!!. AND need to use Heavier Cabling because they are carrying twice the Current!!! (Basic Ohms law).

Yeh Complicated or what!!.

Pete

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Rather than reverse polarity in reality it is live and neutral reversed. As far as all the appliances are concerned they will work just fine. It is easily discovered using a test plug available from all sorts of sources from B&Q up. I get mine from CPC Farnell online for a few pounds. What is the problem when live and neutral are reversed, if you have single pole switches which is very common in the UK the switch acts on what it thinks is the live side thus removes power from the circuit beyond the switch. When live and neutral are reversed the circuit is broken but the neutral wire which should be at earth potential is in fact live. If there are no problems with the circuit and you don't poke inquisitive fingers inside little will happen but it can cause problems when things go wrong. How do you fix it, if you are connected via a continental 2 pin plug just take it out and rotate it through 180 degrees and put it back in again, for more conventional 3 pin plugs you do need a reversed lead. Many continental vans are protected by having twin pole switches that isolate both live and neutral
Unlike British vans with S/P, like you said nothing to worry about until something goes wrong, oh and no fuse protection on live conductor, so like you said nothing to worry about until it goes wrong :sneaky:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Likewise John.

The only difference between a european charger and a uk charger of the same make is the mains plug.
The french dont care about rev pol but their chargers, which are identical to our chargers except the plug, dont burn out, so why should ours.
Theirs can be plugged in either way so theres a 50% chance theirs are also reversed.

If an appliance, no matter what it is, was to burn out then it is pure coincidence it happened when it did.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
I would take a guess the heater has been wired incorrectly between Live and Earth which is potentially lethal.
Cheers Brian ...not sure I understand.. If the earth and live were reversed would that not be immediately obvious ie direct short..
The blown air heater and immersion htr get their live and neutral feeds from the system ecu which receives it's user inputs from an electronic control panel..
The earth's for both heaters go directly back to the common earth bar on the consumer unit...
My thinking was that the electronic control panel had to see the live on the correct pin/input in order for it to work... which it won't do if the polarity is reversed..
If the polarity is correct it works perfectly...
There is a little lightning strike symbol which appears in the control panel when 240v is available...It doesn't appear when the polarity is reversed... hence my conclusion...
Ta Andy

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back