Free Member
Jan 21, 2014
cumbria
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1988
Hoping to get on the road in Feb after delayed plans to Spain, thing is MOT is due Mid March. Is it possible to get a legit MOT in the Denia/benicassim/Guardamar area? Its a Peugeot Boxer. Thanks for any help.

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
There is no way to get a legit MOT in Spain. You can get a 'voluntary' ITV (Spanish MOT) but that is not recognised by VOSA in UK. Take your MH for an MOT before leaving UK. You might loose a month or so of the present MOT but you will continue to be 'legal' whilst abroad.

OP
OP
parknride

parknride

Free Member
Jan 21, 2014
cumbria
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1988
Thanks @Flamenca thought this might be the case! Means losing about 5 weeks MOT or coming back early. We won't be coming back early.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
as Chris said..

also

An MOT can be carried out up to one calendar month prior to the expiry date of your existing MOT certificate, whilst still preserving the anniversary of the expiry date.

Earliest date you can get an MOT
An MOT lasts for a year. The date it runs out is printed on the last pass certificate.

You can get an MOT up to a month (minus a day) before it runs out and keep the same renewal date.

Last edited:

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
as Chris said..

also

An MOT can be carried out up to one calendar month prior to the expiry date of your existing MOT certificate, whilst still preserving the anniversary of the expiry date.

Earliest date you can get an MOT
An MOT lasts for a year. The date it runs out is printed on the last pass certificate.

You can get an MOT up to a month (minus a day) before it runs out and keep the same renewal date.

BUT... !!!! If you do check the dates.. As per my previous thread, the MOT computer has a problem and if your van has a Cherished number plate it may throw a wobbly and may just end 12 months from when the MOT is done..
As you say to loose 5 weeks is still better than delaying the trip..

Spanish MOT is only worth the cash given to MOT station / Spanish government has no legal standing at all..

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
I have been told that people have got away with having an MOT booked at a garage very close to the ferry terminal on their return, but I am not sure I would trust that. Our last van had an MOT date when we expected to be abroad and we just bit the bullet and did it before we left.

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
We bought Spanish vehicles and lost some months ITV (MOT equivalent) on all of them to be able to test them in the months we are in Spain. You only have to do it once, and lose weeks or months, and then you are back in sinc. It's definitely worth it to keep legal.

barista

Free Member
Dec 13, 2015
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
Ducato based coach built
Exp
Yeah, can't quite see what the problem is here. Mine's due end of March but I'm having it done this week before I go. Simples.

OP
OP
parknride

parknride

Free Member
Jan 21, 2014
cumbria
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1988
Thanks very much all. Didn't realise you could keep the original renewal date by having MOT done early. No special number plates so should be straightforward. Not envisaging any reason for it to fail, only 2nd MOT (oh god, hope i havent jinxed it) Now, just have to let MIL we are going.

OP
OP
parknride

parknride

Free Member
Jan 21, 2014
cumbria
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1988
Yeah, can't quite see what the problem is here. Mine's due end of March but I'm having it done this week before I go. Simples.

No problem here, its just never fallen due awkwardly and I must have dreamt it but thought I read somewhere that there were places you could them done while away. :)

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
early mot is simple answer as many have said above.

you only keep the original renewal date if the mot is carried out within 1 month of expiry..

A snipit of information off at a slight tangent but worth a mental note for future.
I found out the other day ( taking sons car for mot early ) that since the mot system has gone " computorised"!!!! once you have a new mot inspection the old mot is no longer valid,
e.g. say you had a month left on the old mot and the vehicle failed then the old mot is no longer valid and the vehicle has to be retested and pass to have a valid mot. you do not have a month left to drive around...

barista

Free Member
Dec 13, 2015
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
Ducato based coach built
Exp
No problem here, its just never fallen due awkwardly and I must have dreamt it but thought I read somewhere that there were places you could them done while away. :)
The MOT is a British thing but I too have heard that they can be obtained for a couple of hundred euros. I suppose false documents of many types are available for the criminal fraternity though.

OP
OP
parknride

parknride

Free Member
Jan 21, 2014
cumbria
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1988
The MOT is a British thing but I too have heard that they can be obtained for a couple of hundred euros. I suppose false documents of many types are available for the criminal fraternity though.
Wouldn't knowingly waste time and money and whatever else on false docs and criminals :mask:

barista

Free Member
Dec 13, 2015
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
Ducato based coach built
Exp
early mot is simple answer as many have said above.

you only keep the original renewal date if the mot is carried out within 1 month of expiry..

A snipit of information off at a slight tangent but worth a mental note for future.
I found out the other day ( taking sons car for mot early ) that since the mot system has gone " computorised"!!!! once you have a new mot inspection the old mot is no longer valid,
e.g. say you had a month left on the old mot and the vehicle failed then the old mot is no longer valid and the vehicle has to be retested and pass to have a valid mot. you do not have a month left to drive around...

I heard this recently too but I don't think it is correct. I took advice recently when my previous toad was failed incorrectly and actually had my fee reimbursed by the Merc dealer who had subcontracted the test.

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010

Nobody should go down that route. The documents are not forgeries but they are illegally produced, ie the people in Spain have contacts with dodgy MOT examiners in UK. I believe there is a proposal to require MOT stations to have video cameras to prevent fraudulent MOT's.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
I heard this recently too but I don't think it is correct. I took advice recently when my previous toad was failed incorrectly and actually had my fee reimbursed by the Merc dealer who had subcontracted the test.

it is a bit vague... i have put text in red where it states you can take it away but doesnt say you can drive it normally or NOT!

AHHH .. i guess the text i have put in green says something... " must meet minimum roads standards at all times " knowing you have a failed mot i guess that makes the vehicle below the minimum standard?

copy from Gov.uk
Failing the MOT
If your vehicle fails the MOT:

You can appeal the result if you think it’s wrong.

Driving a vehicle that’s failed
You can take your vehicle away if your MOT certificate is still valid.

If your MOT has run out you can take your vehicle to:

• have the failed defects fixed
  • a pre-arranged MOT test appointment
In both cases, your vehicle still needs to meet the minimum standards of roadworthiness at all times or you can be fined.

barista

Free Member
Dec 13, 2015
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
Ducato based coach built
Exp
Nobody should go down that route. The documents are not forgeries but they are illegally produced, ie the people in Spain have contacts with dodgy MOT examiners in UK. I believe there is a proposal to require MOT stations to have video cameras to prevent fraudulent MOT's.

Absolutely. Indeed there is no MOT Certificate as such, it is a computer record to be accessed.

barista

Free Member
Dec 13, 2015
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
Ducato based coach built
Exp
it is a bit vague... i have put text in red where it states you can take it away but doesnt say you can drive it normally or NOT!

AHHH .. i guess the text i have put in green says something... " must meet minimum roads standards at all times " knowing you have a failed mot i guess that makes the vehicle below the minimum standard?

copy from Gov.uk
Failing the MOT
If your vehicle fails the MOT:

You can appeal the result if you think it’s wrong.

Driving a vehicle that’s failed
You can take your vehicle away if your MOT certificate is still valid.

If your MOT has run out you can take your vehicle to:

• have the failed defects fixed
  • a pre-arranged MOT test appointment
In both cases, your vehicle still needs to meet the minimum standards of roadworthiness at all times or you can be fined.

It does indeed seem very vague and to comply one would need an MOT every few days!

Clickem

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years
Until recently the ITV test in Spain differed, in severity and cost, between regions. If you moved house, so that your car was then registered in a different region to where it was tested, you needed a new ITV, for that region

Also the ITV testing stations within a region vary, so that people use particular test stations that are reputed to be less demanding

Getting Spanish ITV stations to comply with, and maintain MOT standards would be a challenge

So the chances of getting countries to agree seems remote

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
All photographed here to show reg. plate & rear of vehicle & has been at least last 2 years.
We're all in the eu so I can't see why it can't be done though? If a competent enough mechanic can do it in Spain why can't the test certificate be valid in all countries in the eu?

They've been talking about it for the last 20 years. 8 years ago it was "within next 2 years ".

Until recently the ITV test in Spain differed, in severity and cost, between regions. If you moved house, so that your car was then registered in a different region to where it was tested, you needed a new ITV, for that region

Also the ITV testing stations within a region vary, so that people use particular test stations that are reputed to be less demanding

Getting Spanish ITV stations to comply with, and maintain MOT standards would be a challenge

So the chances of getting countries to agree seems remote

I know that in Valencia there is an additional test that any one living there must comply with but the rest of us don't have to.
You can legally have our vehicle tested in any region & there is a huge variation in cost . Cheapest used to be Up north were the price of the diesel test was half the cost of here.

Clickem

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years
You can legally have our vehicle tested in any region & there is a huge variation in cost .

In Valencia they could fine you if your vehicle is registered in Valencia, but the test was done in Murcia, without you having the additional test for “sonometrias” (noise measurements) which is required in Valencia, but is not part of the test in Murcia

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
This is one advantage of a NEW vehicle, if you are rich enough to buy one you get three years without this problem. The chancellor announced that there was going to be an extension of time before test on new cars soon BUT I bet it would not apply to MH.
The MOT test is one of the bigger cost of my car Tax £30 Test £40 .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back